Thec British Open at Hodnet

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Salopian

First day of the competition today , the reports I have received from everyone is what a good day they have had , " Brilliant Shoot"  " Something for everyone", "Clever Targets".

Had a few comments about distant black clays on the Sportrap , but I will be referring them to Ed Lyons  or Specsavers. Or for a £1 a week they can sponsor a Guide Dog.

GD on 115 I gather.

Im there Friday and Saturday, sounds good. I have only shot there once, years ago, so hope to not get too baffled as it's unlike anywhere else if I recall. Would like to score in 3 figures, fingers crossed. Good luck to all doing it.

Last edited by a moderator:
GD on 115 I gather.

Im there Friday and Saturday, sounds good. I have only shot there once, years ago, so hope to not get too baffled as it's unlike anywhere else if I recall. Would like to score in 3 figures, fingers crossed. Good luck to all doing it.
Only Friday and Saturday, Will, a man of your calibre. I would have thought you would be there Sunday as well. :wink:    Good luck everyone taking part.             

I shot it today at 15:00. Really a super course and a great event. 

After checking Facebook this evening I see that @Salopian is refereeing there. I would have said hello! What stand were you maning today? I hope not 12?

If I read correctly, there are 160 AA entries. Prize money paid down to 6th place, £45. Shocking. 

Is the comp entries or total including birds only?
Looks like comp entries are 150. It's £350 for 1st place, but then vicious drop off. I get there's nothing underhand, it's all the £10 comp fees paid back, but just seems wrong for a huge event. Any ground owner will tell you that there is a big profit after a certain number of entries, to cover costs. I feel the non comp entry fee for 1000+ entries should contribute to a top up. 160 entities should certainly offer prizes to 10th place. Just my feelings. 

Before anybody says it, it's all about the shoot, not the prizes for me, bit it nevertheless seems out of proportion and the odds unfairly long.

Looks like comp entries are 150. It's £350 for 1st place, but then vicious drop off. I get there's nothing underhand, it's all the £10 comp fees paid back, but just seems wrong for a huge event. Any ground owner will tell you that there is a big profit after a certain number of entries, to cover costs. I feel the non comp entry fee for 1000+ entries should contribute to a top up. 160 entities should certainly offer prizes to 10th place. Just my feelings. 

Before anybody says it, it's all about the shoot, not the prizes for me, bit it nevertheless seems out of proportion and the odds unfairly long.
Perhaps they should take a leaf out of the Essex Masters book  :)

21270857_1634759189870369_5470915974162648988_n.jpg

This topic is just another issue that may be thought of as a problem in our sport.

Why not have birds only ? If someone feels that they just want to enjoy the experience , but have no chance of winning a cash prize , why should they contribute to the prize fund?

If a novice or friend is having a bad day why is it wrong to coach or assist them? Because that is the rules , and we the competitors make the rules by our conduct., if we didn't cause problems or issues we wouldn't need rules to make us conform.

Noticable that dress code has gone out of the window !

In a perfect World our sport would attract major financial sponsorship , resulting in large cash prizes .

Remember , we are a minority sport , using Guns , and we may all be wierdo's .

Until we publicise the fact we are not , we will struggle.

We need to promote our sport to the masses , it is enjoyable and can be enjoyed by ALL the family, and Wife and children can easily beat Dad on a level playing field , you don't get that fairness in many sports .

Prizes could reach further down the order, Start at 200 and work down,

I have no desire to contribute to the prize fund for others, if this became the way of it then i would pass.I know plenty of others feel the same.

Really don't get why people get so upset over putting a fiver into the prize fund,they may travel a couple of hundred miles,stay overnight,spend more on cartridges but resolutely refuse to pay less than 10% of the entry fee and maybe 1% of the outing more to do something they actually want to do on principal?

And for this they may get to miss out on the best shoot of the year?

Life is to short...

Really don't get why people get so upset over putting a fiver into the prize fund,they may travel a couple of hundred miles,stay overnight,spend more on cartridges but resolutely refuse to pay less than 10% of the entry fee and maybe 1% of the outing more to do something they actually want to do on principal?

And for this they may get to miss out on the best shoot of the year?

Life is to short...
I agree, the point is not whether YOU happen to win and so get your money back, it's about the greater good of the sport, the better shooters deserve some sort of monetary reward because they have paid their dues by paying into the sport several hundred times over. 

Anyone who thinks big scores happen by accident or because someone just happens to be talented hasn't been paying attention, the top guys spend time, money and effort to get where they are, I know several top end shooters who back in the day would empty their pockets on re-entries, without them it might as well just be another straw baler.

Back