is sporting to hard

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ips

my post re jumping rabbit got me thinking...

is it just me that thinks that sporting targets are now too hard for the common man ?

as a recent convert to sporting (and game) from trap I would like to think that after over thirty years I could hit more than my current 74% ish but to me the targets at most grounds are just demoralising at times and many target presentations are more like trick shooting.

of course it may only be me that feels this way due to being particularly rubbish.

off you go...

Sporting Clays has evolved and ability of competitors is now very very good . Targets have become far more challenging than they used to be to seperate the field .Skeet and Trap targets (all disciplines) have to conform to a technical specification . Sporting is not subjected to speed angle or distances , so course setters can use imagination (or in some cases lack of it).

IPS, With respect have you ever shot a decent set of sporting targets? I find on the odd occasion where I go to some "small friendly" shoot, the course setting is very poor. A mix of easy rubbish, then some stupid stuff with poor opportunity to see or shoot it. None of it is rewarding. If you went somewhere that holds a good registered shoot, I doubt you would get anywhere near the 74% you are hitting, probably more like 50%, but you would come away thinking that was good, I will improve if I keep doing this.. (74% is a decent B class sporting average in registered). 

And to answer your question directly, although I only refer to registered sporting events, no usually it's not too hard because the enormous pool of talented shooters out there are hitting 95+ all over the place. If you back it off, there will be a 5 way shoot off from 100 straight everywhere.  Agreed, beginners seem overwhelmed but what can you do when everybody has to shoot the same course, it's a compromise.

Last edited by a moderator:
In a word - nope!  :)    

But you can be beaten by speed or distance, or both, which is not very clever.

IPS, With respect have you ever shot a decent set of sporting targets? I find on the odd occasion where I go to some "small friendly" shoot, the course setting is very poor. A mix of easy rubbish, then some stupid stuff with poor opportunity to see or shoot it. None of it is rewarding. If you went somewhere that holds a good registered shoot, I doubt you would get anywhere near the 74% you are hitting, probably more like 50%, but you would come away thinking that was good, I will improve if I keep doing this.. (74% is a decent B class sporting average in registered). 

And to answer your question directly, although I only refer to registered sporting events, no usually it's not too hard because the enormous pool of talented shooters out there are hitting 95+ all over the place. If you back it off, there will be a 5 way shoot off from 100 straight everywhere.  Agreed, beginners seem overwhelmed but what can you do when everybody has to shoot the same course, it's a compromise.
yes I have shot hard targets at hodnet, dolphin our local is also not full of gimmies, apparently...i think bebo has hit the proverbial on the bonce, trap shooters expect big scores and expect to hit most if not all.

As I say, the talent at the top of sporting do hit trap scores at sporting. Incredible when you see the courses they do it on..

Very different discipline. I'm not sure shooting trap transfers to sporting other than a small few targets. If trap is all you have shot then you need to get to grips with a lot more methods to score well at sporting

Very different discipline. I'm not sure shooting trap transfers to sporting other than a small few targets. If trap is all you have shot then you need to get to grips with a lot more methods to score well at sporting
exactly as I am finding David. Trap is shot with one method and one only. That's the difficulty for a thirty odd years of trap shooter to come to terms with BUT I am actually improving and beginning to be able to pick different techniques for different targets. I am however much better when I don't know what's coming and just shoot instinctively (aren't I short legs ?)

Problem is you then need to repeat this for another 4 pairs and you now know where they are coming from  :smile:

I will have forgotten by the second pair....i am at that age ?

I have been a sporting shooter all my life, I have shot all disciplines Olympic trap is the hardest to master, you have to have a robotic skill to shoot it at a high level.

Sporting too hard? Having shot three different grounds Barbury, Coleys and EJC in last two weeks, each and every one if them have bitten, chewed, spat out and stamped on the masses one feels, not seen many ? faces, my glass half full mood has been tested, get the feeling Im not alone in that

IPS,the problem is that there is a lot of crap sporting targets out there! Yes the top shooters can hit them but the B and C shooters suffer! These are the guys who make up the majority of your shoot! Pee them off at your peril!

NO,i don't believe it is.

Example August shoot at Podimore  High gun 90 i shot 84 in C and felt i dropped a few silly ones.

Barbury Challenge quite a stiff shoot and i shot one less than Will,i shot the first 3 "easy" stands atrociously dropping 11 on them.

Will commented lots of rangy edge on crossers...i saw 1?

Seems people want everything Dumbed Down in this world,i really don't want to see gimme stands just to boost someones ego.

IPS,the problem is that there is a lot of crap sporting targets out there! Yes the top shooters can hit them but the B and C shooters suffer! These are the guys who make up the majority of your shoot! Pee them off at your peril!
exactly my point Cyril.

I dont mean to offend anyone and the following is certainly not aimed at anyone who has posted above. Is it just a macho thing when average shooters say they don't want easy targets they want to be tested ? I am pretty sure that average folk want difficult but hittable targets, ones that can be shot with style and technique and give one confidence. Not targets that are more good luck than technique. Its just my take on it as an average (possibly below average) sporting shooter who has the balls to admit that many presentations are just no fun to attempt. Me thinks that some setters are just smart alecks trying to catch folk out instead of setting good honest targets.

but what do I know as I seem to be one of very few who think so

Back