Prolonged concentration tips and suggestions

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AW13

Hi

Last week I shot 200 Compak in one day.  Looking at the scores I see that they slowly dip as the day progressed.  We shot over 4 different presentations some of which were rangey and some needed very quick reactions. We rotated around the presentations so pretty even across the day.

I realised after we had finished that the last couple of rounds I was seeing the clays but not totally focussing on them hence, I believe, the reason for the decline in the scores.

Is there any advice out there that could help me or is it just mental concentration stamina?

Are there any training techniques I can practice?

Thanks

don't shoot 200 in a day. The likes of peter Wilson practice huge amounts of repetitive targets but us mere mortals shooting any more than 100 is not conducive to good scores. In my experience.

I find the key be switching concentration on and off.. focus as soon as gun is out of slip, switch of when back in slip between stands..

Good point about drinling, it was a very hot day.

I hear what you say IPS, I'm beginning to think that a 100 is about the max for good concentration. I was part of a squad that day that eleceted to shoot 200 and i did'nt want to let anyone down

I was shooting a 100 target FU comp on Sunday the temperature was 35 C outside with hardly a breath of wind under the stand god knows 40-45 C. I was shooting not bad by my standards and could get to 15 without a miss but as soon as I did miss I went on to miss another two from the next five after which I managed to get back on track and shoot out the rest. It happened in all four rounds I shot I would get to 12 - 15 and then a miss followed closely but another couple. I think the miss broke my concentration and it took a few targets to get back in the grove it was incredibly hot though I think this is the major problem... even the natives were complaining of the heat ! There were some great scores made though the first three were 99,98 and 97 so if you can control your thoughts and blank out the thoughts about the heat for the twenty minutes or so then you can make a good go of it. They winner, Guy Commers, was wearing jeans, he never wears shorts no matter how hot it is!  

Last edited by a moderator:
I never wear shorts either....because I am not twelve ?

I never wear shorts either....because I am not twelve ?
Yes but how often have you shot in temperatures well in excess of 40C ? When just standing still causes you to sweat profusely you know its hot!

Yes but how often have you shot in temperatures well in excess of 40C ? When just standing still causes you to sweat profusely you know its hot!
not often. I don't sweat, I perspire ?

I had a real problem last year in Portugal with the heat,drunk loads but by the last round was totaly wrecked, so got back to the hotel and did lots of internet searching, and came up with a plan of attack to help.What had happened  was i probably washed out all my electrolytes,so i had a fruit juice between every bottle of water and some salty snacks through the day,and put in a 25 straight in on that day and felt a lot better.Tacking every opportunity to rest in shade if possible is helpful aswell.I am by no means a expert on this and not a athletic type by anymeans.But this subject is very interesting and helpful if someone replies who realy knows about this stuffs.

May help if you try not to focus on anything (netural focus) when you call for the bird, then your eye only has to focus on the target, also you may pick it up earlier, leading to less eye strain over such a long shoot.

Distance focus works for me,as in focus on something far away cloud,tree,whatever apparently the eye uses a lot less muscles to focus in than out.

Interesting one this. I'm a "concentrater" and can feel shattered after a shoot. Worst example was the Compak I did at Owls last year. 6 targets on each layout, no showing of them before you start and lots of sim pairs. I shot 25, 24,23, then 19! Last layout I was holding the gun in wrong place etc. Huge brain fade. Don't usually have this problem with 100 ESP or FSP but I'm plagued with plenty of little mistakes all through. Not so much tiredness as losing focus or getting mesmerised. If I'm going to step forward  now there is definitely mind-work as the next step..

T

May help if you try not to focus on anything (netural focus) when you call for the bird, then your eye only has to focus on the target, also you may pick it up earlier, leading to less eye strain over such a long shoot.
this ^

Distance focus works for me,as in focus on something far away cloud,tree,whatever apparently the eye uses a lot less muscles to focus in than out.
and this ^

Will's post above felt very similar to my experience.  I did try long/short soft focus but I was still struggling towards the end. In reflection I am sure that dehydration was part of it as well.

Going for a practice later this week. Think I will work on soft focus on a variety of targets and see what happens. 

In extreme conditions Oral Rehydration Solution might be useful.

This is much more effective than water or fruit juice.

Be careful that you don't take too much, as this might lead to health issues.

Latest posts

Back