Browning or Beretta

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GingerT

I know this has probably been asked many times on here, but as a returning shooter looking for a gun what would you recommend for sporting clays?

I don't have a huge budget, as I've just bought my son a gun too, so have narrowed it down to what seems to be the mainstream 'budget guns' the Browning 525, 725 or the Beretta Silver Pigeon.

i am sure most will say try them out and get which is best but a view would be appreciated as well.

From looking and trying them at my local gun shop I like different things about each. The 725 is great to hold with the grip bulge, but I don't like the engraving and the 525 and Silver Pigeon felt much the same, but maybe the SP shot better.

I bought my so a second hand MK38 which seems to fit me quite well too. I was told that it had a higher combe but not sure if it's much different to the others.

sorry lots of questions... but want to get it right.

Battue speaks sense  :)

personally i shoot brownings better than berettas but it really is a matter of try them out and see what suits you .

Mk38 is a great gun too not to be ignored. i personally know 3 top class AA shooters that use a Mk38 for international competitions one recently sold his and bought a beretta ASE and is regretting it since  . i did like my old one too they are a good gun 

In this price range, I would go for the Miroku MK38 as suggested by Battue.

On the other hand, all of them are good enough to use for many years.

With the Browning/Miroku I think the big difference with the 725 compared to the MK38/525 is the barrel weight, the older models seem more barrel heavy. If buying new I would probably steer clear of the Beretta not because of the design but more the reliability of recent guns. I would take a look at Caesar Guerini too. My son has shot an Invictus since he 15 and while it is a heavy gun the weight distribution makes it feel lighter than a lot of lower weight guns. We had no preconceived thoughts on the CG brand but have been very please with the two that we have with very good fit and finish. I wish your son all the best with his shooting, we need more younger people.

Nothing wrong with any of those guns, all will provide years of service.

The 525 is a "big Browning", like the Miroku and will shoot differently to the more svelte, Silver Pigeon and 725.

The SP1 is very reliable, compared to some of the newer models of Beretta, which have had some teething issues.

I shoot a Silver Pigeon 1, so naturally Beretta's are miles better...but I did own a 425, which I didn't shoot as well as my Beretta. I have also shot several 725's and find they hand similarly to the Beretta.

Last edited by a moderator:
Beretta, That's all me and boyfriend have. We have 20bore silver pigeon 1 and 12bore ultralight deluxe. I like the engraving on them. 

i had a go of a browning not sure which model it was and wasn't keen on it 

Last edited by a moderator:
Beretta, That's all me and boyfriend have. We have 20bore silver pigeon 1 and 12bore ultralight deluxe. I like the engraving on them. 

i had a go of a browning not sure which model it was and wasn't keen on it 
Those are both very light guns, I can see how a Browning would seem a big change.

Yes they are. Their both game guns, I used to have a 686 sporter but struggled with the weight. 

I find brownings to be heavy and bulky

Only other gun I liked the feel of was my friends Blaser F3

Both good guns, l tried a Beretta recently and after my Browning 725 mk2 the Beretta felt like a broom handle, it's just a matter of fit really but don't get too hung up on aesthetics, the way it shoots for you is more important.

I recently bought a an older 687 sporter  with 2 3/4 " chambers, and have been using that to try to get used to it, as it is going to be my game shooting gun, I also have a 32" b725 black, for duck,  so Saturday went and bought a 30" DT11, fits close enough I thought,  used it Sunday, just couldn't get to grips with it, miss's I thought I should have hit, so got the Browning out the car, tighter chokes, it just shoots where I look, LOP is exactly the same, having the DT11 fitted to be the same as the Browning, 

moral of the story, get the gun that fits best

Browning gets my vote, there is a lovely 725 Black Edition for sale on the forum 'shoot bay' at the moment ?
really? why is it going then,

there is also my lightly used 32" B725 Black Edition on the 'shoot bay' from April

there is also my lightly used 32" B725 Black Edition on the 'shoot bay' from April
Who said Doug wasn't referring to yours?  :D

The Black Editions are visually more attractive than the 'standard' versions, but even the used ones might be over the budget the TS has in mind.

Who said Doug wasn't referring to yours?  :D

The Black Editions are visually more attractive than the 'standard' versions, but even the used ones might be over the budget the TS has in mind.
good point, thank you

I currently have one of each in the cabinet, Beretta 682 Gold e, and a Browning 725 Prosport. With the options mentioned in the original post i would go for the 725. Also as previously mentioned don't dismiss CG as and option either.

Latest posts

Back