Which Cartridge... ?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GingerT

Ok so a newbie question, so sorry if it's a bit basic...

What would you recommend as an all round 12g sporting cartridge? Ideally I would look for something with a little lighter load as both my son (14) and I will be shooting it....would rather buy one lot than two. Also it would need to be fibre as my local shoot only accepts that.

My son is new to shooting and I'm a returning gun after a 20 year absence, everything has changed since I last shot.

Thank you in advance. 

would a 14 year old really need to go down to 21g ? i shoot with a few lads around that age and they all use 28g 

Last edited by a moderator:
I was wondering if 50 clays at 28g would put him off, hence the lighter load question.... is there really that much difference between them all ? 

A 24g budget cartridge would be nice to start with.

I was wondering if 50 clays at 28g would put him off, hence the lighter load question.... is there really that much difference between them all ? 
28g to 24g theres a small difference but there is a noticeable difference when you drop to 21g 

would a 14 year old really need to go down to 21g ? i shoot with a few lads around that age and they all use 28g 
Maybe not NEED, but they are so pleasant to use, inexpensive and 99% as good as 28g on club level clays.

21g is nice to shoot to be fair . very little kick off them
Yes. What puts some people off is the lack of recoil, which they feel must be lack off speed, which isn't the case. You need less propellant to throw 21g at the usual speed, so less kick. If you pattern them, they usually have a great shot density, just a slightly smaller "outside circle". A bit like using a tighter choke. You will powder most clays with them and don't need any change in lead picture etc.

It all depends on his size and the gun he is going to use. My son was stocky for a 14 year old and was shooting a mid weight 12 bore so was more than happy with 24g, and to be honest I was happy with them too. We took his mate shooting who was tall and skinny and he got knocked around with the 24g and ended up with 21g. All down to build and gun.

Buy a few boxes of different makes and see what you like. Agree with Comp X being a good starting point.

Not too sure where you are in the country but the Oxford Gun Company have some good shoots for young people, you can shoot them too.   

I've used 21g hull x comp and 24g eley select. 

I also found gamebore velocity 28g to be ok and not have much of a kick.

There all not badly priced either ?

I've used 21g hull x comp and 24g eley select. 

I also found gamebore velocity 28g to be ok and not have much of a kick.

There all not badly priced either ?
Recoil is very subjective. My wife usually uses 21g comp x. I gave her a couple of Velocity to try. After shooting them she looked at me like I had hit her in the face with a frying pan.

I only just recently started shooting 28grams again in my 12bore, With it being an ultralight it can give quite a kick with heavier loads, i have a beretta Geltek pad on which helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Best club cartridge l have found is Fiocchi TT1 in fibre not much kick but does the job, cheaper than most too! Well worth a try in 28g 7.5's fibre.

Recoil is very subjective. My wife usually uses 21g comp x. I gave her a couple of Velocity to try. After shooting them she looked at me like I had hit her in the face with a frying pan.
I am NOT surprised, in fact that would probably have hurt her less  !   They kick like a bloomin mule and especially after 21 grams.

I am NOT surprised, in fact that would probably have hurt her less  !   They kick like a bloomin mule and especially after 21 grams.
I would say Velocity are smoother than my usual banger, Rio. Also a lot smoother than most to me.. 

Latest posts

Back