Buying 1990 Perazzi MX8

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AAD44H

Hi,

I am looking to purchase a Perazzi as want a gun I can keep forever that handles nicely and fits me well, I have found a 1990 MX8 that I really like the look of however I am concerned what issues I may face due to its age, I am 25 years old myself therefore looking for a gun that will last many years within my price range. I had originally started looking at Blasers however I found that they recoil quite badly, the alternative Perazzi within my price range would be something like an MXS. What are your thoughts?

Thanks

Many Perazzi's about much older than that .

Provided the action frame is not worn out everything else can or has at sometime been replaced. 

You tag line is 1990 MX8 no reason not to buy if in good nick as Salopian says.

Your last sentence says MXS a gun i have and can wholly recommend but they have only been around 2/3 years,try one if you can i don't know one person that doesn't like theirs and i have asked a few.

"I had originally started looking at Blasers however I found that they recoil quite badly"

Mine certainly doesn't. Nor do those of any other Blaser owner I've spoken to. Have you actually shot one?

"I had originally started looking at Blasers however I found that they recoil quite badly"

Mine certainly doesn't. Nor do those of any other Blaser owner I've spoken to. Have you actually shot one?
As I mentioned in another post, I think the butt pad on Blasers are awful. This may lead to the accusation of recoil.. changed mine, love it.

Fair enough, yes I have shot one. Fair point made by Will below, maybe it just needs a different pad. 

Buying a new gun is a nightmare, far too much choice!

The MX8 is a fine and reliable competition gun. One thing to be very wary about is the condition of the woodwork around the drop out trigger opening, the checkering around the neck and the top tang at the rear of safety catch. Watch out for cracks and splits as the thickness of the wood in these areas is the guns Achilles heal. Even the smallest of cracks will gradually widen with use and will eventually lead to failure in most cases. If you can, get any seller to remove the stock and check very carefully for any repairs or damage.

MM

An MX8 is perfect if it's not tired? Don't buy a 29" as they don't resale very well! MXS is a low entry level Perazzi overpriced

With poor resale value!

The oldest Perazzi in the safe here is 1972.  Has about a bazillion rounds thru it.  The others range up to 1984 and have all been well used.  The key is that they have all been well cared for too.  I'm sure there are dolts who can wear one to the point that it is beyond use but persons like that should be euthanized.

As for the stocks - there is nothing inherently weak/bad about Perazzi stocks.  They DO however many times suffer from poor fitting and as a consequence voice their unhappiness.  I've repaired a number of those and then taken the time to fit them properly and the "problem" disappears.

The only real problem with pre-owned Perazzis are some of the pre-owners from what I've seen

all JMO of course

Last edited by a moderator:
Perazzi guns are beautifully made things and genuinely engineered to outlast their owners if cared for - an MX8 and the MXS were made with differing priorities. The MX8 was for all-out competition without a cost consideration and for disciplines were the targets were all taken at roughly the same range i.e. ABT, DTL evidenced in not having a selectable trigger, it will always fire the same barrel first.  Very often an MX8 is found with fixed choke barrels because of the lack of selectability.  They did however have drop-out triggers and leaf-springs for a field replacement in the heat of a comp -  a new gun came with a couple of spare springs and the special tool to aid replacement. 

The MXS was made with the same legendary quality but to a less expensive design from a manufacturing perspective, list was around £5,500 when they were 1st launched IIRC, the important difference being that it had a selectable trigger.   One MX that has a selectable trigger (and coil springs) is the MX12, it 1st appeared many years ago and you should be able to find an affordable one with a bit of effort....they are also a delight to shoot with too.

RUAG are the Perazzi importer and there is some useful information embedded in their web site on the differences between the different models and working out the age of a gun here: RUAG guides link

An MX8 is perfect if it's not tired? Don't buy a 29" as they don't resale very well! MXS is a low entry level Perazzi overpriced

With poor resale value!
It may well be an entry level Perazzi but the balance and trigger pull on mine are the same as any other i have felt ...as for the low does that mean your plain black is not as good as one with 30k's worth of engraving?

Well I bought one its a 1990 and have never ever regretted it. My one is way better than many guns that are half its age and is as tight as a drum. Naturally some people look after their guns better than others and that is key to the condition of any gun at 27 years old but here are a couple of pics of mine , which I paid €3250 for nearly four years back... a Beretta 692 cost more than that then. If you have found a good one then buy it they are just a great gun and Perazzi can do anything you want done to one its all about cost. By the way in the time I have had the gun I have shot well over 30 thousand rounds and have replace one hammer spring which was in the gun when I bought it... I have no idea whatsoever how many rounds it had fired before I got the gun... the triggers are sublime. Gun is totally original.

DSCN1043.JPG

DSCN1065.JPG

Perazzi MX 8 action L.JPG

I wouldn't get too stuck on one make of gun. Any of the quality makes have the potential last many years if well looked after, plenty of 500K round school guns to prove the point. Perazzi are very good but remember many would have been stocked to the original owners dimensions. How long have you been shooting?

Hi,

I am looking to purchase a Perazzi as want a gun I can keep forever that handles nicely and fits me well, I have found a 1990 MX8 that I really like the look of however I am concerned what issues I may face due to its age, I am 25 years old myself therefore looking for a gun that will last many years within my price range. I had originally started looking at Blasers however I found that they recoil quite badly, the alternative Perazzi within my price range would be something like an MXS. What are your thoughts?

Thanks
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but you sound fairly new to the sport. Whilst the MX8 is a fine gun it's not perfect. Blasers don't thump any more than any other gun of the same type because there's all sorts of factors that determine felt recoil. 

Whatever brand you choose, if you've found a gun you like put plenty of shells through it first to make absolutely sure it suits. Ideally have your coach or someone that knows what they're looking at watch you shoot it. Remember too that, unless you're very lucky, you'll have to factor in the cost of a custom stock.

Whatever you do, be objective. Don't get hung up on a particular brand. A £500 Lanber that fits and shoots where you're looking is better than a £5000 Perazzi that doesn't.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but you sound fairly new to the sport. Whilst the MX8 is a fine gun it's not perfect. Blasers don't thump any more than any other gun of the same type because there's all sorts of factors that determine felt recoil. 

Whatever brand you choose, if you've found a gun you like put plenty of shells through it first to make absolutely sure it suits. Ideally have your coach or someone that knows what they're looking at watch you shoot it. Remember too that, unless you're very lucky, you'll have to factor in the cost of a custom stock.

Whatever you do, be objective. Don't get hung up on a particular brand. A £500 Lanber that fits and shoots where you're looking is better than a £5000 Perazzi that doesn't.
Thanks for your advice, yes I am fairly new to the sport. I have been shooting on/off game over the past 10 years or so however have only recently got in to clay shooting. I have been having lessons and have tried various guns however my instructor keeps pointing me towards the Blaser F3 or Perazzi MXS/MX8 however I am still open and willing to look at other guns, I used to shoot a Beretta Silver Pigeon 12b then went on to a Silver Pigeon Classic 20b however couldn't get on with it. Therefore I am going back to a 12b however due to now shooting many more clays than birds I am looking for a gun that will be best suited to this environment. I think the key thing is getting a gun that 'nearly' fits then looking at potential alternations.

Smoking,  The market is flooded with new MXS's ! They even put upgraded wood on some to sell the easier! Ask anyone in the trade!

Starting price seems to be £4300 ish now for a new one.  Still plenty at over £5000 I assume better wood etc.  

I willl be buying a gun in October and MXS is one I want to try along with F16 and 692. 

My Perazzi was made in 1981. I bought it as a stop gap in 2006.   Still got it and I've found nothing that betters it and as long as the barrels are looked after and you don"t back the car over it and bearing on mind all the parts thst wear are replaceable they should last as long as a couple of lifetomes. Proffesional shots have often used the same gun for years wthout major issues. 

Think Michael Diamonds gun is an early 90"s and you won't put anything like the number of rounds through it as that gun has seen. And it was said it had never seen oil (from worlds best shooters list that Russel Mark compiled)

Smoking,  The market is flooded with new MXS's ! They even put upgraded wood on some to sell the easier! Ask anyone in the trade!
Yes,many people don't like the MXS stamped on the receiver or perceive snob value in buying something more expensive.

Neither bother me so i got an absolute bargain  :smile:

Shot a High Tech the other week and didn't notice any difference in feel or balance they seem a bit of a bargain as well as many people don't seem to like the branding.

Back