Randolph Sporter clip-ons or Castellani experience

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattjevans

I currently shoot wearing my prescription sunglasses mostly, Rayban black frame 55mm lens (fairly narrow face) aviators with a grey ND50 lens.  Sometimes I wear the same frame but silver with a green transitions lens.  The silver frame can be distracting I find.

I'd like to try out purple/orange/yellow lens options and with a budget of say £500 was wondering about the Randolph Sporter as being a good way to achieve this as I suspect I'll struggle to get 3 pairs of specs for that.

I'm curious though as to whether that combination will also be distracting with so much "metalwork" so to speak around the frame  , and I also wonder about internal reflections with the clip-on 

Edit - after i wrote this I discovered that the Castellani C-mask with rx insert would get roughly into my budget with 3 lens, so any views on those appreciated too   Look like Pilla Panthers ...?

Rx is -2.50, 0.25 cylinder if that matters

any info on experiences appreciated 

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Matt - the Ranger Sporter is a great product. Really well made and last for years. The clip on system is very good too and as long as the prescription lenses are made well, there shouldnt be any glare/reflection from the back of the clips.

They make them in two sizes, 62mm and 57mm - for most men the 62mm is the one to go for and the bigger size reduces frame awareness.

The Castellani products are good for the money, you may find the insert irritating though as the field of vision is perhaps half that of the Sporter

I stock and make the rx lenses for Randolph and Pilla too so if you need any further help just drop me an email - you get your Shootclay discount too!
Ed

Thanks Ed.  I did wonder that about the Castellani insert - looks the same as (and I gather is inter-changeable with) the Pilla Panther insert   

I have a small face - the 55mm lens Rayban's I wear look "to scale" on me - but maybe the trick is to order both and send back one after trying on.  

I'll drop you an email to get a handle on Pilla 580 frame and lens prices before I make a decision. 

Thanks Ed.  I did wonder that about the Castellani insert - looks the same as (and I gather is inter-changeable with) the Pilla Panther insert   

I have a small face - the 55mm lens Rayban's I wear look "to scale" on me - but maybe the trick is to order both and send back one after trying on.  

I'll drop you an email to get a handle on Pilla 580 frame and lens prices before I make a decision. 
I went for the 580 carbon frame with  prescription lenses from Ed, there awesome

20170713_173041.jpg

Back