Hi All

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Popeye

Hi All

Please go easy on me. I am new to clay shooting but have been doing lessons. I have just ordered my first sporting gun having held many at different shops and at the game fair.

I have ordered myself the new Ceaser Guerini invictus M-Spec 30" (one of the first in the country and currently one of 2 left handed versions in the country) as I was wanting a decent sporting gun that I will stick with for some time and not outgrow the gun.

I am not 100% sure if I am going to stick with the fixed chokes of "Full" and "3/4" or get them increased slightly as I know these are tight but my initial thought is if I can do well with them they may make me a better shooter. Thought appreciated.

cheers Popeye

see how you get on, fixed choke gives you one less thing to mess about with and different cartridges such as 9s should sort out close stuff.

welcome to the forum ?

You'll be fine for now. Just don't do what I did (10 years ago) which was to also use high quality 7 shot cartridges with full choke. It was like firing a golf ball at clays. Use an inexpensive 8 shot, or 9 for closer stuff. 

In time, maybe get it eased out to half and half. Mainly, just learn to shoot it.

out of interest were in UK are you ?

You'll be fine for now. Just don't do what I did (10 years ago) which was to also use high quality 7 shot cartridges with full choke. It was like firing a golf ball at clays. Use an inexpensive 8 shot, or 9 for closer stuff. 

In time, maybe get it eased out to half and half. Mainly, just learn to shoot it.
Can you suggest a couple of cartridges for those sizes that would be worth a look at?

Thanks again

I've only been shooting since last year - I use Eley and Fiocchi TT1. They're the cheapest I can get hold of in 8/9 and they seem ok to me...

Can you suggest a couple of cartridges for those sizes that would be worth a look at?

Thanks again
It will boil down to what you can find locally and what you like the feel of, but Rio, Eley, Fiocchi, RC. The main thing is go for 8 shot I would say. Just avoid any of the very top £240 stuff, firstly because it's £240 and secondly because they tend to produce smaller patterns due to smoother propellant. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Depending on where you are in East Sussex, Sussex Guns near Battle generally stock Fiocchi cartridges and usually have TT1's in stock.  I usually just get the 7.5s so not sure if they do smaller shot sizes.  They sometimes have Fiocchi Bior wad 9's in that open up a bit quicker.  I tend to use them in my fixed choke gun on very close targets - they turned a close incomer to smoke at a local shoot I was at on Sunday.

Yes, you often find cheaper cartridges are only made in 7.5 shot. My belief is that they do this to hold a tighter pattern with lower quality components in the cartridge. Not helpful if you are looking for a spreading pattern. 

Depending on where you are in East Sussex, Sussex Guns near Battle generally stock Fiocchi cartridges and usually have TT1's in stock.  I usually just get the 7.5s so not sure if they do smaller shot sizes.  They sometimes have Fiocchi Bior wad 9's in that open up a bit quicker.  I tend to use them in my fixed choke gun on very close targets - they turned a close incomer to smoke at a local shoot I was at on Sunday.
Yes they are just up the road from me, I will have to pay them a visit!

In that case, if you're looking for a small friendly club to shoot at locally on a Sunday morning you should give Stonestile Clay Shoot a try. Just outside Westfield, near Hastings.  Details are available on their Facebook page.

Latest posts

Back