Gun stock question

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davy_B

I have a Zoli Kronos trap gun that i find is firing a bit high for me . Its causing me to miss the odd clay by firing over it. The gun has a pattern that is 100% above the bead and nothing below .The gun is a fixed stock and i obviously cant lower it. So the question is could i get my current stock made into an ajustable stock and get a stockmaker to lower it in the process or would i be better off getting a full new stock made?

What you have to realise is that the stock is too high making it into an adjustable stock will not lower it!

I understand that but could he not just remove 5mm or so from the wood ? And make it ajustable? As in take a slice out of the stock as he would anyway to make it ajustable and then remove 5 or 6mm from the bottom leaving the top the same ? 

why fit an adjustable, just get 5mm or whatever shaved off existing stock

why fit an adjustable, just get 5mm or whatever shaved off existing stock
Cause im currently loseing weight were i could end up with a skinnier cheek then i could need to rise it again . Nothings simple eh :) 

Or just learn to keep the target above the bead and pull the trigger?  You often see trap gun users on sporting layouts, it makes a lot of sense to have good target visibility.  Messing with the stock will just make the gun harder to sell when you decided to trade up...

Not a problem in fitting an adjustable to lower the comb, it will then be able to go higher or lower.

When do you want it doing?

Not a problem in fitting an adjustable to lower the comb, it will then be able to go higher or lower.

When do you want it doing?
Absolutely

And 5mm is a buncha distance in comb terms.  There is no reason to attempt to deal with a gun that does not shoot where you are looking.  The gun should accommodate YOU, not the other way around.

Or just learn to keep the target above the bead and pull the trigger?  You often see trap gun users on sporting layouts, it makes a lot of sense to have good target visibility.  Messing with the stock will just make the gun harder to sell when you decided to trade up...
been trying this for months . the gun is firing so high that the very bottom of the pattern is a few inches above the bead at 30 yards . and when you revert to instinct you tend to aim directly at the clay ideal for me would be 90% above 10% below  . the current set up is about 110% above the bead .

its fine for DTL because you have time to consciously correct yourself but for ball trap and OT its causing problems 

Last edited by a moderator:
If you dont want to get it altered, ring Stephen Fawcett, as they were the importers, he has a lot of stocks sitting about, he may have one thats right, or get one thats same as yours and get it lowered.... Then you have original...

I would get a decent kit fitted into it,

You could alter the pitch on your recoil pad put a spacer or some washers behind the  pad at the top and screw it back altering your point of impact.... nice simple cheap fix of it works for you 

You could alter the pitch on your recoil pad put a spacer or some washers behind the  pad at the top and screw it back altering your point of impact.... nice simple cheap fix of it works for you 
Pitch does not alter POI in the 21st Century.  It has no effect on the relationship of the eye to the gun with today's shooting style.

So altering the pitch of the pad by putting a spacer or washer at the top won't flatten the gun off? 

So altering the pitch of the pad by putting a spacer or washer at the top won't flatten the gun off? 
Thinking about it I don't see why it would. You put the gun to your shoulder and your head on the stock... I may be thinking about it all wrong but the eye will still be the same height above the rib regardless of what you do to the pitch. The gun may point higher or lower but you will just raise or lower the gun to accommodate where the gun is pointing but when you look out over the gun your eye/ gun geometry will still be the same. I really think pitch only make your gun more comfortable to shoot... just my thought on it.

I kept getting 'shot down' for suggesting this, the thing is I KNOW it works.  I too had a 'Trap' gun that was a touch high for sporting targets, I could get away with crossing targets, but dropping or overhead going away targets, I often missed. Needless to say I was straighting driven stands, every time.  I made 2 x 50p piece sized lead washers (each approx 1/8" thick) which I placed behind the 'Heel' screw on the Isis recoil pad, thus altering the pitch by around 1/4". I was then able to resume my normal 'sight pictures'  on the targets that I had been missing and once again I was able to break them. I did need to adjust my lead accordingly on all driven targets now, of course, but I soon re- adjusted to them too.  If I was going to shoot 'Trap' at all, I simply removed the washers and used my usual 'sight picture' of just under the target.  If I left the washers in place, I was having to 'blot em out' when Trap shooting. I used that gun for around 6 years with the washers in place, by using lead washers, it also brought the point of balance back by about 1/2" too. Take the washers away and it went slightly 'muzzle heavy' for Trap shooting.

SO, to all those that say "It can not possibly work", OKAY, you are all correct, of course it can NOT work.

To those having a 'stock too high' problem, it costs NOTHING to try it  !  Shoot at a 'Teal' type target and remember the 'sight picture', now fit the washers and shoot it again using the same sight picture.

I've got two washers in to flatten off my Perazzi. I'm a big believer that a gun shoots where you sense the barrels are pointing, not due to absolute geometry, but the gun feels better set for me with the washers..

Lowering the comb is never going to make the gun fit you, it will however enable you to hunch up, and reduce the built in lead in the barrels. What you need is to lower the drop at the heel, so the gun fits you, instead of you fitting the gun. I would suggest either a new stock (or get the existing one altered) or a new gun that fits.

Latest posts

Back