Kofs

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisPackham

Hi Guys

I'm looking for a 28 for my 10 year old who is starting to show an interest in game shooting

I have seen these advertised by SGC for less than a monkey!  Im not expecting this to have many cartridges put through it or indeed be with him for long as he will grow out of it

Any views positive or negative?  In fact, for that matter, 28 or junior 20 with light cartridges?

Thanks

At his age i would just shop around for anything suitable and cheap.He will outgrow one nearly every year.

speak to Westley he has experience of small guage with his grandson

we had a ten or eleven year old shooting on estate last season with a Beretta 687-20bore.

he hit a couple and they seemed to be pretty well dead ?

Find an inexpensive 20ga auto for the recoil absorb feature with choke tubes and a youth kinda stock so the thing fits reasonably well

trouble is Charlie you cannot shoot game with an auto in the uk

Thanks will ping him a note, I'm hoping that eldest son will be able to join me on the shoot 2018 season....
Hi,

I have a Yildiz 28 bore and a Beretta 20 bore.  The 28 bore with 28" barrels is around 5 1/2lbs and the Beretta 20 , with 30" barrels is 6lbs 2ozs.  The lightest load that I have seen for the 20 is 21 gram, the lightest in 28 bore has been 14 gram (same as a .410"). My older Grandson is now 14 and is shooting my 20 bore with a 14 1/2" L.O.P. (wood heel plate), the younger one is just 11 and has been using the 28 which has a 13 1/4" stock with a Kick-Eeze pad fitted and is now using 16 grams of 6's. ( be careful of the 'Youth stock', they are still around 13 1/2" and were too long for both of my Grandkids). They have not shot at any game yet, I prefer to keep them on clays, until I am sure they are up to game shooting and all that it entails. They have been with me several times, but I no longer have a dog and they get bored with proceedings (or lack of) and with no dog to keep their attention...................?  The interest of the 14 years old has waned a bit of late, well I suppose it is difficult to open, close and load a gun, with a bloomin mobile welded to your hand, and the younger one fancies himself as a budding Phil Collins !  Still the money I am saving on cartridges and clays allows me to shoot more  !

there you go told you Westley was your man ?

trouble is Charlie you cannot shoot game with an auto in the uk
I had no idea of that.  Is it the same on the Continent?  Lots of pros/cons to that but it's difficult for me to get too wound up about it one way or the other.  Nothing like that here tho pumps and autos are regulated for capacity, three I think it is, for any game shooting.

don't know about other countries but the law says and I quote

it is illegal to use

•Any automatic or semi-automatic weapon, any device for illuminating a target or sighting device for night shooting, any form of artificial lighting, mirror or other dazzling device or any gas or smoke not covered anywhere else in this section (see note below)

NOTES:

“Firearm” includes shotguns

“Automatic weapon” and “semi-automatic weapon” means any weapon which is capable of holding more than two rounds in the magazine

Capacity reducing plugs are commonly used here and satisfy the law.  Reading the above would suggest that the same could be done where you are if capacity is the defining criteria since no mention is made of "permant"  in the reg.  It also does not include the one in the chamber in the criteria.  Of course you all have the lowest level petty official interpreting the gun laws for you and imposing their view, so .................  who know WTF kinda chance there would be for any rational clarification.  

thing is though Charlie is that apart from the legality aspect turning up to a formal driven day with your finest tweed, socks and garters and then unsliping a Beretta outlander just ain't cricket old boy ?

You can shoot game with a semi auto as long as the mag does not hold more than 2 rounds. If your on your own land and pheasant/partridge 'got up' are you telling me you are not allowed to shoot it - That is total rubbish. Turning up at a 'proper shoot/game day' is entirely another thing altogether. Worse than shooting trap with one  :D

Last edited by a moderator:
You can shoot game with a semi auto as long as the mag does not hold more than 2 rounds. If your on your own land and pheasant/partridge 'got up' are you telling me you are not allowed to shoot it - That is total rubbish. Turning up at a 'proper shoot/game day' is entirely another thing altogether. Worse than shooting trap with one  :D
well the regs seem fairly clear but I see your point ?

Just for clarification the legislation is covered by Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981. 
Which states :-
Prohibition of certain methods of killing or taking wild birds.
(c)uses for the purpose of killing or taking any wild bird—
(i)any bow or crossbow;
(ii)any explosive other than ammunition for a firearm;
(iii)any automatic or semi-automatic weapon;

Which would lead you to believe it is illegal to use a semi auto shotgun, however if you look further down the act to:-

27 Interpretation of Part I.
“automatic weapon” and “semi-automatic weapon” do not include any weapon the magazine of which is incapable of holding more than two rounds;

Basically, the act is banning the use of section 1 semi auto shotguns which require a Firearms certificate not a Section 2  semi auto that require a shotgun certificate. Therefore you can legally use a section 2 (1 in the chamber 2 in the mag max) shotgun to shoot game however it is frowned upon  as ‘not the done thing’ on most formal shoots, on less formal or your own land its up to you but not against the law.

It's just as usual with any act to do with shooting awkwardly written.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for clarification timps.

battue, I stand corrected you were right. My apologies

Undefined and convoluted are basic criteria for all firearms legislation around the world.  There may be exceptions but I suspect that they are few.

An auto would seem to me the ideal instrument for driven birds.  OK, a matched pair and a loader.  I'm thinking a pair of the total zoot $8K Franchi (?).

Latest posts

Back