If you feel we need a change in the CPSA

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Much as I think the CPSA aren't fit for purpose it'll do no good. What senior staff have done in the wake of last weekend's debacle is the same as they always do when things go wrong. They pat each other on the back whilst flatly ignoring all criticism or suggestion, irrespective of its justification or author. What makes it particularly sad is there are several members of the board as well as the staff at HQ that genuinely do their best for their members. Unfortunately there's a clique that drown out the well intentioned efforts of others.

The only way to change the organisation is to vote with your feet. Don't renew your membership, join the Welsh or Scottish CPSA instead.

Oh, and don't forget, the majority of members are in it only for the insurance. They have no interest in shooting competitions and don't care if the board spend their subscriptions on a drugs and guns so as long as they get the cover they need.

Last edited by a moderator:
Forgive me if I'm missing something but I don't see any solutions in the petition, just sack the 'man', we deserve better. 

In my experience with this sort of thing, it's always very easy to criticise, but without knowing the day to day ins and outs it would be very hard to make a fair judgement. I'm sure the CPSA have a clear goal and a plan to get there but without knowing either, it's hard to judge their performance. 

By all accounts, the last major comp was a let down and needs to be improved but the acusasions that they're just trying to fill thier own pockets needs to be backed up with evidence. 

A more democratic approach would be great but it would be difficult to manage. Im not sure of how the CPSA is set up but what about a bi-yearly vote for members of the board? 

Much as I think the CPSA aren't fit for purpose it'll do no good. What senior staff have done in the wake of last weekend's debacle is the same as they always do when things go wrong. They pat each other on the back whilst flatly ignoring all criticism or suggestion, irrespective of its justification or author. What makes it particularly sad is there are several members of the board as well as the staff at HQ that genuinely do their best for their members. Unfortunately there's a clique that drown out the well intentioned efforts of others.

The only way to change the organisation is to vote with your feet. Don't renew your membership, join the Welsh or Scottish CPSA instead.

Oh, and don't forget, the majority of members are in it only for the insurance. They have no interest in shooting competitions and don't care if the board spend their subscriptions on a drugs and guns so as long as they get the cover they need.
If you do decide to act on this advice join the Scottish association, the WCTSA are a total waste of space, even in comparison to the CPSA. 

Forgive me if I'm missing something but I don't see any solutions in the petition, just sack the 'man', we deserve better. 

In my experience with this sort of thing, it's always very easy to criticise, but without knowing the day to day ins and outs it would be very hard to make a fair judgement. I'm sure the CPSA have a clear goal and a plan to get there but without knowing either, it's hard to judge their performance. 

By all accounts, the last major comp was a let down and needs to be improved but the acusasions that they're just trying to fill thier own pockets needs to be backed up with evidence. 

A more democratic approach would be great but it would be difficult to manage. Im not sure of how the CPSA is set up but what about a bi-yearly vote for members of the board? 
I make no accusations of them trying to "fill there pockets" but they run the CPSA as their own trainset and bully anyone off the board if they don't agree.

http://www.clay-shooting.com/features/expose-has-the-cpsa-spent-over-40000-disciplining-lifetime-member-clive-hames/

http://www.clay-shooting.com/news/joe-kitson-resigns-from-cpsa-board-of-directors/

http://2s5yg916ul8n1fjd583jqeof.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/19/2016/03/resignation-Joe-Kitson2.pdf

People are already voting with there feet  i personally know 5 people that have not rejoined.

A few years ago they changed the company articles so as i understand it we have no say in the "elections" to the board"

They have constantly proved that they believe they are running a business and not an association for the benefit of the members.

I agree the petition mostly serves as a vent for people's frustrations but bear in mind that in reality, the CPSA is very little different from any other member owned club or association, be it the local allotment society or a national building society. There will always be a small cabal, usually a leader and a couple of accolytes, working together to rig the organisation to (a) benefit themselves and (b) remain in power for as long as possible.

IMO we can all forget about democracy or anything approaching it because ultimately there are only 2 choices: Join or form a rival organisation or simply accept the CPSA as it is and as it will undoubtedly remain (complete with all the incompetence, delusions and arrogance from it's top people) and just go out and shoot.

They have taken control away from the members,if there is enough voices shouting loud enough someone may hear.

Apathy gets us nowhere!

someone may hear.
Who's going to hear? There's only the board and they've demonstrated repeatedly that they have no interest in listening to the rank and file. They either ignore or are totally dismissive of any complaints and they've got registered clay shooting by the short hairs - and they know it - so nothing will change.

I don't suggest apathy but there's no point in beating our heads against the wall because once the self serving 'players' have fixed the system to suit themselves and their own objectives whilst eliminating any dissent, there's little the membership can do if they want to continue shooting registered comps.

When all's said and done, most members don't want any hassle and whether registered or not they simply want to go out and shoot

Westward, very well said .

After the forore of the weekend it seems to have settled down and obviously nothing will change at all .

People like schmokinn and myself will just be dismissed as constant moaners by members who actually are only interested in themselves and not the well being of the association.

As for change that will probably never happen , no rival organisation will surface , that has been tried before by Phil Boakes , who actually ended up being the self serving CEO of CPSA famously remembered for taking his Golf clubs to The Worlds in America . So we the CPSA membership have a long history of ineptitude with regard to having a well run association.

The only real answer is to not renew your membership and leave. You can still shoot registered shoots as the Groundowners welcome your money and are willing to provide a service.

Lets be clear i do not expect anybody to get sacked (though i would welcome it),what i would like to see is the depth of feeling from members to try to create some leverage.

Maybe somebody with some real financial clout will take them on,maybe they will be forced to listen in some way...maybe pigs will fly,but i feel sitting here and letting them screw us is an unacceptable option.

I was hoping Nicola getting back on the board would be the start of something but i see nothing so far.

What i will say is that if you don't sign the petition because you feel it is a waste of time and nothing will happen you are as much as supporting them in their actions.

Lets be clear i do not expect anybody to get sacked (though i would welcome it),what i would like to see is the depth of feeling from members to try to create some leverage.

Maybe somebody with some real financial clout will take them on,maybe they will be forced to listen in some way...maybe pigs will fly,but i feel sitting here and letting them screw us is an unacceptable option.

I was hoping Nicola getting back on the board would be the start of something but i see nothing so far.

What i will say is that if you don't sign the petition because you feel it is a waste of time and nothing will happen you are as much as supporting them in their actions.
Put yourself up as a regional director next time and change things from within.  Targeting  the Southwest region would be a good place to start as I believe it went unchallenged last time. 

Put yourself up as a regional director next time and change things from within.  The south wes region would be a good place to start as I believe it went unchallenged last time. 
I have been vocal at the SW AGM...getting voted on is one thing but they and there cronies will still oppress everything as they have in the past forcing out the good guys.

As i see it the only way is a mass vote by the membership and the hope that apathy does not prevail.

Unfortunately it seems that people are scared of signing the petition because of the perceived repercussions to themselves,how have we got to the state that people will not express their feelings for fear of punishment.

Have we become a Democratic Republic and fallen to Communism?

It is without doubt we are being dictated to.

I make no accusations of them trying to "fill there pockets" but they run the CPSA as their own trainset and bully anyone off the board if they don't agree.

http://www.clay-shooting.com/features/expose-has-the-cpsa-spent-over-40000-disciplining-lifetime-member-clive-hames/

http://www.clay-shooting.com/news/joe-kitson-resigns-from-cpsa-board-of-directors/

http://2s5yg916ul8n1fjd583jqeof.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/19/2016/03/resignation-Joe-Kitson2.pdf

People are already voting with there feet  i personally know 5 people that have not rejoined.

A few years ago they changed the company articles so as i understand it we have no say in the "elections" to the board"

They have constantly proved that they believe they are running a business and not an association for the benefit of the members.
to clear up a misunderstanding re the above statement. "A few years ago they changed the company articles so as i understand it we have no say in the "elections" to the board". This is not true.

All national and regional directors must stand for election every three years. All members (over 18) have the opportunity to vote by ballot.

to clear up a misunderstanding re the above statement. "A few years ago they changed the company articles so as i understand it we have no say in the "elections" to the board". This is not true.

All national and regional directors must stand for election every three years. All members (over 18) have the opportunity to vote by ballot.
Can't vote somebody of though you can only vote someone on so what you get is no suitable alternative and we are stuck with some that are idiots and the CEO.

So Stuart how do we vote out the CEO?

Can't vote somebody of though you can only vote someone on so what you get is no suitable alternative and we are stuck with some that are idiots and the CEO.

So Stuart how do we vote out the CEO?
"Can't vote somebody of..........." Do you mean off?

All staff are employees and every single one of us work hard and go beyond the call of duty for the benefit of the association and its members.

Stuart I'm sure you all do work very hard. I'm sure you all go beyond the call of duty.

But how do we vote out the CEO?

Latest posts

Back