foreigners shooting in uk

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ips

a Canadian friend of mine may be visiting uk in winter. He is a shooter. What is the legalities of him using my gun to shoot at my syndicate game shoot ??)

I would say the same as you taking anyone along. Perhaps check with your syndicate first eh!.

When I was in a local Game Syndicate, this cropped up occasionally, both with foreign visitors and UK non certificate holders. Because the entire shoot was rented from the local Estate, the Shoot Captain was deemed to be the 'Agent'  acting on behalf of the Landowner and as such the Visitor was therefore,  shooting in his presence. Obviously supervised accordingly. As already said, clear it with the Shoot Captain beforehand and be prepared to stand with your Guest.

Last edited by a moderator:
it wont be a problem with shoot captain I am certain of that it is the legality of a none uk licence holder shooting my gun supervised by me that I am checking ?

it wont be a problem with shoot captain I am certain of that it is the legality of a none uk licence holder shooting my gun supervised by me that I am checking ?
Would that be any different to a British non licence holder shooting? I doubt it but stand to be corrected. I thought the law was that a licence holder could supervise a non licence holder? Is nationality an issue? I doubt it but as said could be proved to be wrong.

your probably correct john. To be honest I am not totally up to speed with the scenario for a none licenced national !!

I would have thought that as long as the person has a shotgun cert from their home country, they can borrow your gun and shoot unsupervised under the 72 hour rule.

More important for all taking part in the day including beaters and pickers-up is he/will he be insured to shoot? 

More important for all taking part in the day including beaters and pickers-up is he/will he be insured to shoot? 
that's a very good point, I didn't consider that so thanks for that ?

perhaps if he joind basc he would be insured and I believe that providing the owner or legal user of the land is in agreement it s ok to borrow a gun and shioot under the gun owners supervision, same as on a clay ground

I would think that he would either be insured through a Canadian gpverning body if a member of one or possibly travel insurance. 

A non certificate holder may use a shotgun in the following circumstances:

• He may borrow a shotgun from the occupier of private land and use it on that land in the occupier’s presence. For a borrower under 18 years old, the occupier must be over 18 years old.
  • Whilst at a shooting ground approved by the police for shooting at artificial targets only.
Note that “occupier” is not defined by the Firearms Act 1968 but may be taken to include the owner, tenant or licence holder.

There is no minimum age at which a person may borrow a shotgun and use it under the circumstances described above, but persons under 15 years old must be supervised by someone over the age of 21 years.

Relevant Act(s): Sections 11(5), 11(6) and 22 -Firearms Act 1968. The Firearms

(Amendment) Regulations 2010

Section 11(A)  Firearms Act 1968  (subsumes Sec 11(5) May 2017)

Allows a non-certificate holder to shoot -  On private land

In the occupiers presence  - sight and earshot, The occupier must be18yrs.
With the occupiers gun

Supervised by a Person authorised in writing by the occupier
Supervision must be by a SGC holder, 18 yrs or over
The Occupier is defined by Police and Crime Act 2017 -  Owner, Lawful Occupier, Lease Holder with Shooting Rights

Back