Which Cartridge for Sporting

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi All

Fairly new here so here goes...

I wish to buy some cartridges for club sporting shoots. I have never bought cartridges in bulk before just purchased them when i turn up at a shoot hence given whatever they have at the ground. Obviously as with every shooter, we all wish to improve and be more consistent with gun mount, stance and cartridge etc. so I thought I'd try a decent cartridge now and stick with it.

Not knowing too much about the different brands of cartridges I would really appreciate peoples views on which cartridge to try for sporting that has promoted confidence and decent kills for the shooter (obviously skill level is also a massive factor here). I'm not concerned about price at the moment as I wish to take on board the comments, characteristics, recoil and feel of the cartridge to begin with. I would need felt wads as this is the requirement of most grounds I go to.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

More expensive cartridges are often a bit smoother to shoot and have slightly tighter patterns. These are characteristics, not defined advantages. If you are recoil sensitive then try a few of the classy softer shells such as Hull DTL 300 or Express Power Gold. They all kill clays well, it's all about your confidence. I use cheap cartridges and never miss because of them.

In other words, you will just get loads of conflicting answers on here. See what you can buy locally, try a small number of maybe three or four types before committing to bulk.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would buy the cheapest 28 gram 7.5's I could get and use them for a while. Perhaps if you let us have an idea of  where you live, someone from here could advise regarding a supplier near to you and some prices. For example the Hull Comp X plastic wads are around £170/1000 up here.

I LOVE White Gold by Gamebore but I'm not prepared to pay the price charged £250 per thousand so I shoot Fiocchi TT1 which many would consider the budget end of the cartridge market and cost me £170 per thousand but they do a decent job.  The Fiocchi FBlack are more expensive and I like those a lot.  I do shoot an awful lot so the more cartridges for my money the better.  I'm not a top shooter but have had some awesome days of victory.  It's a very personal thing choosing a cartridge it plays on a lot of people's minds but you can put too much faith in the cartridge.  Like Will says try a few, choose one and get on with it.

As a fellow newbie, I tried many budget cartridges; hull comp x, gamebore velocity, hull superfast and a few others but for me I really like Fiocchi TT1's. If you're not sensitive to recoil, as soon as you're happy with a 28g load, stick with it and try to forget about the cartridge and concentrate on your shooting. 

Buy anything up to £200 per thousand OR £50 a slab and what you save on the dearer ones, put towards a lesson or two.

Latest posts

Back