Lyalvale Express - Factory Visit

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ExSCA

ShootClay Admin
I was lucky enough to get a guided tour of the Lyalvale Factory near Lichfield earlier this week. No pictures, as my phone was not allowed into the site, but some notes...

Amazing purpose built facility - consisting of two x two floor buildings, the first building houses an enormous 'staging' area for components, each with 'hoppers' that drop down to the assembly plant below. Amazing to see shells, primers, wads, lead all being moved around to keep production running.  Production at the moment is mixed between Game and Clay loads.  The propellant is stored outside the main building walls, with only a small amount 'fed' into the building at any time to ensure a high degree of health and safety.

The floor below is the assembly room,  with a number of high-speed, computerised machines running at varying rates of production. I watched some of the very high tech Italian machines producing 1000's of shells an hour. Each one monitored and managed by a technician who is responsible for the machine and the packing.   Attached to this building are facilities for custom production and packaging, as well as a 'gun room' for testing and quality control.  Here they have data on every cartridge batch produced in the last ten years, as well as some static guns for firing into a tunnel with chronometers and sensors to check quality.  Multiple sets of cartridges are tested every day, along with calibration of the machines performed twice daily. 

Next door is a warehouse with a huge stock of shells waiting for dispatch - Lyalvale aim to have shells in the shooters hands within hours of a request from a stockist.  The Game season is approaching so it was interesting to see the larger loads and shot sizes ready to go out. 

My overall impression was of a huge amount of investment in a safe and efficient factory designed to produce consistent, high-quality products.  It was very impressive to see the focus on quality and safety, as well as innovation to improve products. 

My thanks to the team at Lyalvale for allowing me a visit. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I too have used the Express Power Gold in 24 gram and found them to be a really good cartridge. Excellent write up Matt. I'll bet they did not let you near the Game loads though, they would be under lock and key with 24 hour Guards, due to their exceptionally high value  !      :angel:

I too have used the Express Power Gold in 24 gram and found them to be a really good cartridge. Excellent write up Matt. I'll bet they did not let you near the Game loads though, they would be under lock and key with 24 hour Guards, due to their exceptionally high value  !      :angel:
Honestly - I was next to, in amongst everything.... loads I had not seen before... it was a real eye opener. 

consisting of two x two flour buildings
Interesting that you say the propellant is only used in small amounts in the Main building . Historically there have been numerous explosions in Flour Mills.

I have loaded cartridges for Express many years ago and been a loyal customer for years , I once asked if they would sponsor me , as they do Richard Faulds ?

Brian replied            " We do not sponsor Richard, customers pay for Richard's sponsorship."

It is an real eye opener to see how much work goes into producing quality cartridges! 

Latest posts

Back