Newbie shooter

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Satan42

Hi, I'm Dave, 43 from the east Lancashire area. I've recently started shooting after inheriting a Baikal 12 gauge O/U, and a single barrel Belgian .410 poachers gun from my father. I started shooting at Kelbrook and then bought a used Lanber Sporter from Bamfords at Eccleston. This fits me better than the Baikal, however I shoot similar scores with both! I also shoot for the Police at various events up and down the country, which means I turn up and try my best. My daughter and stepdaughter came shooting at Kelbrook, and my stepdaughter is keen to take it further and she's not a bad shot. So it looks like I'll be investing in a couple of lessons.

Always looking for tips, advice and any criticism.

welcome.

not far from you. Check out dolphin at longton and webton at hesketh bank.

Hi Dave,

I've only been on hear a few day myself so I'm just getting used to the forum as well.

I have not shot at Kelbrook before but  I have a lesson booked with Michael there in a few weeks time.

Last month I had a lesson with an instructor called Jim at Coniston shooting ground. Coniston is a fantastic ground and Jim helped me a lot.

I'm looking forward to see how I get on at Kelbrook.

Hi Dave,

I've only been on hear a few day myself so I'm just getting used to the forum as well.

I have not shot at Kelbrook before but  I have a lesson booked with Michael there in a few weeks time.

Last month I had a lesson with an instructor called Jim at Coniston shooting ground. Coniston is a fantastic ground and Jim helped me a lot.

I'm looking forward to see how I get on at Kelbrook.
So if "Jim helper you a lot" why are you going to someone else?

I have had slow start with my shotgun shooting and I put a lot of that down to bad advice from my first instructor 7 years ago. I am right handed and left eyed dominant this wasnt picked in by my instructor in my first lessons. I had always shot rifles right handed and I just amused that when I shot a shotgun that would be the same. I ended up buying a right handed 20b from a mates farther in law and struggled with it for years. I only shot a few hundred clays a year with it for a bit of fun. I was rubbish but still enjoyed my shooting and just put this down to not practising. A few years ago I had another lesson with a different instructor. One of the first thing the instructor did was check my eye dominance and notice I was left eye dominant. After a few lessons I ended up shooting left handed and I was hitting more clays. I continued shooting a few hundred clays a year for a bit of fun with my mates until six months ago I sold my 20b and bought left handed 12b and started shooting twice a week. My scores have gone up 50% in six months but they have levelled out now so I though it was time for another lesson. I was asking the guys I shoot with if any of them could recommend somewhere to have a few lessons. A few of the them recommended Michael at Kelbrook. I was trying to book a lesson with Michael last month but he wasn't available on any days that were suitable for me. I contacted Coniston and they managed to fit me in at short notice with Jim. Having the right gun that fits well makes so much difference. With good advice earlier on I might have not made as many bad choices as I have. I want to have a few lessons with different people at different grounds to pick the most suitable one for me this time. 

Latest posts

Back