Plastic Wad fouling .

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Salopian

Have any of you noticed the amount of plastic fouling in the forcing cones getting worse recently?

I would be interested in how you remove it ( what solvent) , what gun, and what cartridges.

Not with my cheap old Rios, which I've been shooting for many years now. So, plastic would appear to be the same stuff. I don't even use a brush in my Blaser barrels, just Napier spray, left overnight, push paper through then cleaning paper on a jag. 95% clean. (A light brush would make it look like new but what's the point). 

I got  a can of Phillips Gun barrel cleaner it comes in a spray can with a pink label on it after being told it's good stuff. 

I first cleaned my barrels as usual and ran a bits of paper towel through it until they  no marks on them. Then spayed the stuff in and left it for a bit 

Ran some more paper towel through and it looled like i haddn't previouley cleaned it. So I assume that it loosened off all the cr@p that I didn't mamage to shift the first time. 

Last edited by a moderator:
was it the pink label that first attracted you too it ?

I never experienced plastic in the forcing cone area, but certainly in the half and full chokes in a Browning GTS. I used to use a stanley type blade and scrape it out! 

Got to say I use Clever and sometimes even very cheap cartridges but I never see anything in the bores just nice and shiny after I push a bit of kitchen towel through on a jag... might be I don't know what I am looking for ? :)  

Using Clever T2's through my Guerini and I never get any fouling, they literally don't leave a mark. 

I still clean them, Napier Gun Cleaner left for a few minutes and then pushed out with a folded up kitchen roll patch. 

Haven't noticed it getting worse. I use Clenzoil on the rare occasions when I clean the Guerini and the bores come up like new within 20 minutes. Very different from my Optima bore Beretta upon which I once spent 4 hours trying - and failing - to fully clean the bores before it was traded in.

I like Chippy's theory. :drinks:

I use Eds Red, a homemade solution/mixture recommended from the US Trapshooters forum. One of the ingredients, Acetone is excellent for removing the plastic fouling throughout the bores. ???

Have any of you noticed the amount of plastic fouling in the forcing cones getting worse recently?

I would be interested in how you remove it ( what solvent) , what gun, and what cartridges.
One of the reasons why I only use fibre now, also solves switching cartridges between grounds and chucks less crap into the countryside

Never looked to check! Not sure I've ever cleaned the bores other than to push an oily mop down after rain.

But is this not typical of people with more money than sense? :D

Obviously Ed is an exception as he has never had any sense :D

On a serious note , and especially useful tip for those who care for their guns.

It may be noted that the UK has what is considered to be a damp climate / damp atmosphere.

Any fouling on metal parts , traps airbound moisture .

Plastic wad fouling thus traps moisture in your barrels , so be careful with the care of your expensive toys .

I spoke to my gunmaker yesterday and he said it is noticable how much fouling is becoming more troublesome to clean away .

" Sometimes taking days or a week to soak away, using aggresive penetrants."

Latest posts

Back