Gun case refurb

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul120

After 35 years the interior of my gun case has come away from the body of the (Plastic) case. It's lined with cloth backed with foam padding. The foam  appears to have crumbled away 

To rescue it and to return it to it's original condition I intend to strip the cloth off the old crumbled foam then re back it with new foam.

The foam is in a very poor state but it looks to have been 10mm thick.

My questions are:- 

Does anyone know the type of foam I need to order? There seems to be several varieties available. 

Where can I buy it?

The best way of separating the cloth facing off the crumblig foam?

What Glue should be used?

Sny advice that prevent me making a dogs of it greatfully accepted

Thanks 

Foam sheeting like what is used in making furniture would be your best bet I think. Try searching some websites....

i would use a spray glue. You can buy adhesive in a spray can for carpet. Good stuff, sticks really well and shouldn't "eat" the foam. 

In fact, maybe some form of carpet underlay might be a good alternative for the foam?

i also lined my gun cabinet with a roll up foam sleeping mat for camping. Used to carpet spray glue to fix it in place....

Last edited by a moderator:
Might be cheaper - and it would certainly be easier to buy a new/old one. Call Rakers at Petworth, they literally have dozens of cases for sale.

paul

there is a supplier of every type of foam you can imagine about two miles from you. Take a peice of the old foam and he will match it. Text me and I will pass link on. As for glue I have used spray adhesive the type for flooring.

I used the 'No nonsense' spray contact adhesive from Screwfix at £3.99 for a Large can, to re-glue my gun cabinet lining, great stuff and still stuck !

thing to remember when using spray adhesive is (a) don't breath it in its very pungent stuff and (b) be very careful you stick the thing correctly first time cos once its stuck its stuck

By the time I had sprayed the glue everywhere and breathed in those fumes, I did not give a s**t,  as to WHAT the finished job looked like !     :bye:

paul

there is a supplier of every type of foam you can imagine about two miles from you. Take a peice of the old foam and he will match it. Text me and I will pass link on. As for glue I have used spray adhesive the type for flooring.
Thanks. I will call in at hhis place when passing.  :)

Latest posts

Back