Caesar Guerini, Summit Trap

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philpot

My dear wife has been trying out a 32'' Summit trap which seemed to suit her well for DTL and with the adjustable stock, it does look a useful tool. I had a very quick round myself and have to say it shoots really well, low recoil and well balanced....................................so here is the question, are they any good before I blow a hole in my pension, this one is second hand but only a few months old so I am guessing the owner didn't get on with it.

Any thoughts chaps

Phil

My dear wife has been trying out a 32'' Summit trap which seemed to suit her well for DTL and with the adjustable stock, it does look a useful tool. I had a very quick round myself and have to say it shoots really well, low recoil and well balanced....................................so here is the question, are they any good before I blow a hole in my pension, this one is second hand but only a few months old so I am guessing the owner didn't get on with it.

Any thoughts chaps

Phil
Ever heard of 'New Gun Syndrome'  ??    :angel:

Ever heard of 'New Gun Syndrome'  ??    :angel:
is that the same thing as "gun fits brilliant in the shop but by the time I get it home the stock has straightened out and the comb has dropped 10mm" syndrome. ???

I think many of us have my friend, its what keeps manufacturer's and rfd in business ?

Many years ago, shot a straight 25 single barrel (part of 100 bird all rounder) with a Grand European, straight off the shelf. Kept it for a few years BUT never did another 25 straight with it. F16 felt great in shop, shot bloody awful though !  I will not go on, but I could list at least 6 other great shooting guns.............................until I bought it  !!

Last edited by a moderator:
10 year transferable warranty, good back up from Anglo Italian arms what's not to like. I switched to a Summit Ascent and I couldn't be happier. Go on treat yourself.?

I was a serial gun swapper and as I thought at the time, untreatable....until I bought a Guerini Invictus about 2-3 years ago. 

I haven't swapped or wanted to since. 

If that helps. 

Hmmm

I should explain that my wife has a condition that causes severe head pain when she uses her Browning even with 21gr loads, it is an issue that has caused great frustration and upset for a number of months. The whole point of this test was to find a gun that was not too heavy but heavy enough to allow her to shoot without the pain, hence the 32'' trap gun in question producing low recoil as she doesn't like semi autos which was another possibility and lets face it, neither does anyone else on a trap layout.

Believe me it is not fun to watch someone try to enjoy the sport and be in tears with pain after 10 - 15 shots. If YOU were in the same boat and your beloved sport may have to be given up due to the condition, wouldn't you try to find a suitable formula. The Summit allowed her to shoot three rounds of DTL back to back using 21gr cartridges without pain, so in short it is NOT 'new gun syndrome'.

I asked for thoughts on the gun as I have no real knowledge of them and I thank you for the helpful comments.

Phil

Hmmm

I should explain that my wife has a condition that causes severe head pain when she uses her Browning even with 21gr loads, it is an issue that has caused great frustration and upset for a number of months. The whole point of this test was to find a gun that was not too heavy but heavy enough to allow her to shoot without the pain, hence the 32'' trap gun in question producing low recoil as she doesn't like semi autos which was another possibility and lets face it, neither does anyone else on a trap layout.

Believe me it is not fun to watch someone try to enjoy the sport and be in tears with pain after 10 - 15 shots. If YOU were in the same boat and your beloved sport may have to be given up due to the condition, wouldn't you try to find a suitable formula. The Summit allowed her to shoot three rounds of DTL back to back using 21gr cartridges without pain, so in short it is NOT 'new gun syndrome'.

I asked for thoughts on the gun as I have no real knowledge of them and I thank you for the helpful comments.

Phil

Regardless of gun I think you ought to look into the various recoil reducing devices on the market, she sounds like the ideal candidate for a "stage 2" set up including a good pad such as Isis Green or Sorbothane. 

If she is comfortable shooting the Guerini and recoil is causing problems then you could get a PFS stock to help.
8355d7cbc9a85700cf41b311c2b8113d.jpg

Thank you guys, we have the green Isis X pad and I totally agree, they are excellent but just not enough for her condition. It is one of those things where we have to look outside the box in order to get the results. The PFS unit may well be the route to go and I thank you for that.

I feel the Summit is going to answer some if not all the issues we are facing so I think we will buy it and then if the need arises, the PFS could be added at a later date.

Phil

Thank you guys, we have the green Isis X pad and I totally agree, they are excellent but just not enough for her condition. It is one of those things where we have to look outside the box in order to get the results. The PFS unit may well be the route to go and I thank you for that.

I feel the Summit is going to answer some if not all the issues we are facing so I think we will buy it and then if the need arises, the PFS could be added at a later date.

Phil
The advantage of the pfs is that it will make zero impact on the existing stock so resale values will be unaffected, it is also infinitely adjustable to get the right fit and used ones can be found for less than £700, the caveat though is that you must know how to best set them up regarding compression and leave alone long enough to get used to them. 

The good thing about other mechanisms such as the SoftTouch and BumpBuster is that they utilise the wood stock which unlike the plastic pfs grip can be made to fit the grip of the shooter. 

Thank you guys, we have the green Isis X pad and I totally agree, they are excellent but just not enough for her condition. It is one of those things where we have to look outside the box in order to get the results. The PFS unit may well be the route to go and I thank you for that
The Green pad is a pad, what you need is the full ISIS recoil reducer (actually dissipates recoil)

I use one and so does Ed Solomon's...

They are, VERY good.

I will be publishing my review of the CG Invictus Ascent on Friday. The summit is not as heavy and is lacking some of the bells and whistles of the Invictus but it is a lot of gun for the money IMO. 

Thank you guys, we have the green Isis X pad and I totally agree, they are excellent but just not enough for her condition. It is one of those things where we have to look outside the box in order to get the results.
Trap guns are higher at the comb from sporters & game guns. It may be more to do with fit than ordinary recoil.

Trap guns are higher at the comb from sporters & game guns. It may be more to do with fit than ordinary recoil.
My wife and I shoot trap more than anything else although I shoot far more sporting than she does so I am fully aware of the stock differences but nevertheless you may well have a point. The Summit stock is different in shape and volume to the Browning stock which I am certain gives a better fit than the Browning which I do not like one little bit but there again it was not my gun, I will stick to my Beretta's that have served me well for over 40 years on the clay scene. Good point though.

Phil

Hmmm

Phil
I misunderstood that, for which I apologise. I understood that she ALREADY had  a Summit and it was YOU  that was considering buying the same, after trying her gun ! 

Latest posts

Back