John Jeffries Custom Shotguns

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I shot his P and R at Orston last month , is a weird thing initially but it does seem to work

Last edited by a moderator:
try as I might I still don't get this reverse rib thing, it doesn't make sense to me.

not saying its doesn't work not saying it isn't brilliant I just don't get it.

try as I might I still don't get this reverse rib thing, it doesn't make sense to me.

not saying its doesn't work not saying it isn't brilliant I just don't get it.
Smacks of snake oil to me... a different gun and a different way of shooting.. gun shops dream...

Smacks of snake oil to me... a different gun and a different way of shooting.. gun shops dream...
It's something you have to try for yourself, I've done it twice, once with an HPX SR1 and then traded that for the more radical DSR.  I've seen shooters get back to John's stand at shows having had a go with a gun roughly set up for them with a hugely puzzled look on their faces.   I remember exactly the same experience, difficult target presentations suddenly became totally visible, obvious,  knowing the target was broken the moment you pulled the perfect trigger, zero play, equal pressure for each barrel.

I was hugely cynical when I started out on the journey after all conventional and traditional stock/rib design goes back 100+ years, if it really was as good as it was cracked up to be then what hadn't someone done it before?  The truth is that shotgun manufacturers have a fiercely traditional customer base, we don't like change or new ideas at all....no manufacturer is going to do what John Jeffries offers and the principles of his stock/rib designs demand a really good fitting gun.

Go and try and then come back and let us know....

It's something you have to try for yourself, I've done it twice, once with an HPX SR1 and then traded that for the more radical DSR.  I've seen shooters get back to John's stand at shows having had a go with a gun roughly set up for them with a hugely puzzled look on their faces.   I remember exactly the same experience, difficult target presentations suddenly became totally visible, obvious,  knowing the target was broken the moment you pulled the perfect trigger, zero play, equal pressure for each barrel.

I was hugely cynicall when I started out on the journey after all conventional and traditional stock/rib design goes back 100+ years, if it really was as good as it was cracked up to be then what hadn't someone done it before?  The truth is that shotgun manufacturers have a fiercely traditional customer base, we don't like change or new ideas at all....no manufacturer is going to do what John Jeffries offers and the principles of his stock/rib designs demand a really good fitting gun.

Go and try and then come back and let us know....
I've probably done my new gun budget for this year, 15k spent so far..

i would be interested in trying one, I wonder if they do sxs?...

I did a day with JJ about 2 years ago. Interesting and I wrote an article on here about it. For sure the guns are not weird to use, just don't think about it and shoot. I hit plenty using them. Worst case is it fixes a problem I don't really have. JJ is a great knowledgeable guy with great gun fit advice and trigger setting skill too. So either way (on the rib science) you will get a gun that is right for you if you use him. 

Im with will on this,i have shot a few of the hpx guns and they all shoot nicely as you would expect,but i didnt notice any of the mods,i just shot them.

with respect, if you didn't notice the mods you may as well have shot a standard rib ?

so the rib tapers back, thus gun shoots low. To counter this you rank the comb up so you see little rib and effectively just use the sticky up bit (the bead) so a bit like those double trap ribs that only stuck up for a third or so of the muzzle end ???

that's how I interpret the theory..still don't get it though....wonder how Mr perazzi views this idea ??? Is it likely that it will become a factory option, ?? Why has it not been done before. ???

again I stress I am not saying anything derogatory about the theory, the product or the gentleman, just trying (yet again) to get my tiny brain around it

Mr Perazzi has I believe taken it up on the new Perazzi hi-tech sporter which has I think the RSR rib ? or a similar type rib 

I think you see a lot of rib from what I've read. The rib is 10mm higher at the end of the barrels than it is at the breech, lift the comb and you have a very shallow 'v' sape the drops the action and give's you more visibility of the target. The barrels themselves are setup to shoot at POA.

I could be wrong as I've only read the description on the website. 

Mr Perazzi has I believe taken it up on the new Perazzi hi-tech sporter which has I think the RSR rib ? or a similar type rib 
The taper as far as I know on the hi tec is the width. The JJ one I think is the height. I guess Mr Perazzi doesn't object as such as they put the rib on. Mind you they pride themselves on building what the customer wants and the customer is never wrong!

In effect - put a really high bead on the front and raise the comb

Sorry shortlegs  but this is incorrect. Have a look on JJ 's website. There is mutual respect between perazzi and JJ. They have a gentleman's agreement not to copy each others design. Which I believe  they will both honour. The high tech has a taper rib which starts at the muzzle wider than the breach. It's supposed to look the same width all the way along when the gun is mounted. Thus creating an optical illusion.

Jasper.

JJ does have a very close relationship with Perazzi, with frequent visits to italy to personally select the stock blanks and refine details of the orders of the individual guns, all his guns come with beautiful wood.

Latest posts

Back