DTL Practice

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Worcs

I was thinking of giving DTL a try as I've only shot Sporting since getting my licence. I think Park Farm has DTL practice in the evening, mid week so I might pop along.

I was wondering about the practicality of it. Do DTL practice stands typically have someone to button and score for you? Or is it like Sporting practice, where you're in a group and take it in turns to button and score for each other?

I've just had another thought; does shooting DTL with a sporting gun cause any issues and can I use that as an excuse to Mrs Worcs that I need to buy a trap gun!? :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
I was thinking of giving DTL a try as I've only shot Sporting since getting my licence. I think Park Farm has DTL practice in the evening, mid week so I might pop along.

I was wondering about the practicality of it. Do DTL practice stands typically have someone to button and score for you? Or is it like Sporting practice, where you're in a group and take it in turns to button and score for each other?

I've just had another thought; does shooting DTL with a sporting gun cause any issues and can I use that as an excuse to Mrs Worcs that I need to buy a trap gun!? :rolleyes:
I have only ever shot DTL in places where they either have someone to button or have a system whereby you have speakers in front of you and the clay comes out when you speak or cough or sometimes loudly shut your gun!  Some are a bit too sensitive.  I shoot it with my sporting gun and as I predominantly shoot sporting, fitasc, compak and sportrap and shoot DTL for the relaxing effect it has on me I don't see the point of me buying a trap gun.

I have only ever shot DTL in places where they either have someone to button or have a system whereby you have speakers in front of you and the clay comes out when you speak or cough or sometimes loudly shut your gun!  Some are a bit too sensitive.  I shoot it with my sporting gun and as I predominantly shoot sporting, fitasc, compak and sportrap and shoot DTL for the relaxing effect it has on me I don't see the point of me buying a trap gun.
Thanks, Sian.

So is that what those tannoy speaker looking things are at Coleys? I thought they were so you could hear the scorer calling a loss!

Never done DTL but most Trap set ups have a microphone release system whereby when you call for the target the mic picks up the sound and the target is then released in the same moment... one of the reasons that trap has to shot in near silence.

I have found DTL as a good practice for repetative mounting and muscle memory, especially when I was a newbe and as Sian says once in the swing it is quite repetative and relaxing as you get into the rhythm.  Sort of the same with skeet for me to practice crossers, albeit they are quite close.

Just looked at Park Farm web page and it appears that they have acoustic release system on the DTL/ABT so you will be able to shoot on your own if needed.

Phil

Never done DTL but most Trap set ups have a microphone release system whereby when you call for the target the mic picks up the sound and the target is then released in the same moment... one of the reasons that trap has to shot in near silence.
The most important reason being that DTL shooters are anal, obsessive MF'ers.   :angel:

JMO of course

Latest posts

Back