Reblueing Barrels - corrosion query

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Will808

Hi, hope this is the right forum for this question, apologies if not.

I've recently re-acquired my 35 year old 20g s/s that I had as a child, and I'm in the process of doing a bit of restoration work on it. The gun is worth nothing financially, so I'm just showing it a bit of love and trying to bring it back to something close to its former glory - including reblueing the barrels. I'm pretty certain the gun will never be fired again as it's far too small for anyone other than a very short, left handed 9 year old, so I'm looking at all of this from an entirely cosmetic angle.

I've stripped the old blueing off quite nicely ready for reblueing, but I'm struggling with corrosion on either side of the rib. After 6 iterations of the blue and corrosion remover, the damn stuff keeps coming back - just a fine but noticeable line down in the crease between the rib and each barrel. I remember it was always a problem trying to keep it rust free, so some of that has been there - albeit covered with oil - for nearly 30 years.

My question is whether you think it's worth persevering with the blue and corrosion remover to try to get rid of it, or am I just wasting my time? Realistically the gun is most likely to end up decommissioned and mounted on my wall so I'm not terribly concerned, but at the same time if I could finally get rid of that rust before reblueing, I'd be very happy to do so.

Many thanks in advance for any advice.

It may just be the solder used for attaching the rib. I remember many, MANY years ago scrubbing an AyA No. 4, for the exact same reason. It took a decent Gunsmith, to put me right !  As long as the barrels 'ring' when you hold them at the hook and ping them with your fingernail, then all is well. If there is a dull sound and NOT a bell type ring, get it checked by a Gunsmith, it may be a loose rib, which could lead to rusting. Otherwise, just go ahead with your blueing.

It may just be the solder used for attaching the rib. I remember many, MANY years ago scrubbing an AyA No. 4, for the exact same reason. It took a decent Gunsmith, to put me right !  As long as the barrels 'ring' when you hold them at the hook and ping them with your fingernail, then all is well. If there is a dull sound and NOT a bell type ring, get it checked by a Gunsmith, it may be a loose rib, which could lead to rusting. Otherwise, just go ahead with your blueing.
Ah that's fantastic, thank you very much! I'll give that a try tomorrow and if all is well will go ahead with it. 

Ah that's fantastic, thank you very much! I'll give that a try tomorrow and if all is well will go ahead with it. 
Hang the barrels downwards by putting your finger under the hook (the point where the barrels hinge on the action), now flick them with your other forefinger and listen to the sound. They should 'ping' like flicking a bell.

Hang the barrels downwards by putting your finger under the hook (the point where the barrels hinge on the action), now flick them with your other forefinger and listen to the sound. They should 'ping' like flicking a bell.
I just went and tried it - both ring out loud and clear, so that's good to know - guess tomorrow is rebleuing day!

Wow tried that and the phone rang !

Latest posts

Back