Do you use the same cartridge for everything?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davy_B

Just curious do people here use the same cartridge for practice and competition or switch and change. Or when shooting different diciplines do you change to a different cartridge 

For example do you use the same cartridge for DTL as you would for ABT or for OT or sporting or do you change to different ones ?

Well back in the days when I used to shoot, I always used the same shells for everything! I was a trap shooter, on the rare occasions when I shot sporting or skeet, I still used the same shells! I also shot everything with a trap gun. :lol:  

Shoot mostly Sporting and No, have a mix  I do have a few so bulk of practice with Hull SuperFasts with the odd F3 PistonWad,for  comp use Fiocchi F3, F3 PistonWad the odd Officials, though wish I had a few 6.5s to blast at the rabbits at WestonWood a week or two back 

Shoot mostly Sporting and No, have a mix  I do have a few so bulk of practice with Hull SuperFasts with the odd F3 PistonWad,for  comp use Fiocchi F3, F3 PistonWad the odd Officials, though wish I had a few 6.5s to blast at the rabbits at WestonWood a week or two back 
I missed half of those horrible airborne rabbits, but I often hit one miles away and smashed it with 8's.

8 shot breaks 99.99% of anything you will ever see on a Sporting course. It is with deep regret, I have to state that you need to point the gun in the right place though. 

I concluded years ago that one cartridge is the answer. Also, this leaves your brain alone to concentrate on clays, not shells..

I missed half of those horrible airborne rabbits, but I often hit one miles away and smashed it with 8's.

8 shot breaks 99.99% of anything you will ever see on a Sporting course. It is with deep regret, I have to state that you need to point the gun in the right place though. 

I concluded years ago that one cartridge is the answer. Also, this leaves your brain alone to concentrate on clays, not shells..
Yes Will agree totally! Worrying about changing shells and chokes can be the road to hell, in ANY discipline! 

One cartridge here for all my clay shooting, Gamebore Evo`s 28gram Plas wad and 7.5 shot. The only let down here is my performance.

Chokes remain fixed at 3/8ths from Teague in both barrels.

In august the 12 will be put away and my 20 will come out, teague half chokes both barrels for clay and game. Clay cartridge 24gram fibre wad 8`s from Gamebore comps to get my eye back in with it then for the pheasant Gambore Black Gold 30gram fibre 6`s (euro sizing means uk 5.5).

These are the only 3 cartridges I use and will stick with them unless the product is no longer made.

:)

Last edited by a moderator:
I always used express HV. And have done for over 20 years at everything , firstly because they were cheap, but still did the business , well I recently had a bit of a dilemma as they have phased them out, so what do I use next...

i decided that as there are only a few powder manufacturers in the world, and so many wad manufacturers in the world it stands to reason that the HV would reincarnate as something else, apart from a long brass ( do they help ?) the pro comp have identical powder ...wad..  etc, I've tried them and they work perfectly, but are £30 a thou more than the old HV, the synic in me is crying out Robbin b*+^gers, 

Cheddite for me, as a new shooter i mainly concentrate on trying to hit the clay rather than think what cartridge to put in the gun. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Jockers at the mo. 28grm 7.5's.( prob English 7's) . Only shoot sporting. 

Alan Rowley  how can you be so rude, it is common knowledge that you have never bought a cartridge in your life , because Graham Evans has always sponsored you , that is until you started an affair with Marcus Iddon.

Stop bleating , do more overtime , keep out of the Pub ( a pint is practically the same price as 25 shells ) and BUY  Express Supremes.(which are considerably dearer than a Pint)

Alan Rowley  how can you be so rude, it is common knowledge that you have never bought a cartridge in your life , because Graham Evans has always sponsored you , that is until you started an affair with Marcus Iddon.

Stop bleating , do more overtime , keep out of the Pub ( a pint is practically the same price as 25 shells ) and BUY  Express Supremes.(which are considerably dearer than a Pint)
I AM doing more overtime, 

thats why I haven't seen your smiling, charming self for a few weeks .

Fiocchi FBlack 24gm for me.

If my barrels aren't pointing in the right place then there's little chance of a clay breaking whatever cartridge is in the chamber.

It's no an exact science but for the ISSF discaplins where 24g is stipulated then anything thats a T3 or T4 equivalent. (Cheddite Smart strikes , Fblacks etc) carts lower down the range I find  inconsistent  on the likes of OT targets and I feel I lose targets I would expect to hit.

For most sporting most targets can be hit with anything that goes bang in 28g seems to work. . After saying that  I would presume that on edge on fast targets or distant stuff then a better cart possibly would  help. 

After saying that Max @dctc seems to do ok at sporting with Fiocchi TT"s.

To keep it simple and be confident  though I'm going to stick depending what's availxble when I need them  Fblackx or Smart strikes in 7.5 for everything . 

Whatever 28g 7.5's I happen to have found cheapest at the time and whatever 28g piston was 9's I've been able to get hold of. 99% I use the 7.5's, only change on something really really close.  Chokes are 3/8th in both barrels.

Back