Section 7 question.

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasper

So you know with your shotty cert you can loan a gun for 72hours . Does this still apply when your on a section 7 temp permit???

Jasper.

Last edited by a moderator:
cover your ass and ask your FEO.

It does seem the police are looking for any reason to take peoples certificates away. A simple phone call or email to your local FEO could save you a lot of hassle

a simple phone call would be good.  HQ only work 3hours a day on firearms licensing apparently and they are taking a year for renewals . hence the question on here.

jasper

crikey! no wonder they are behind......

I must be blessed I've asked my FEO numerous things and they have always answered the phone and responded to and emails really quickly.

where you based?

Midlands . Can't see that chasing them after this question really helps the situation. It's not a life and death situation. Just wondering really as it would make life a tad easier.

My take on it - Section 7 only allows you to keep/use whatever shotguns are on 'your' license. You cannot buy, sell (unless to a dealer), or borrow someone else's. As long as the person you want to lend out one for a day or two has a 'full/proper' licence, then there should not be a problem. However a check with your local is the best policy, as the section 7 does not really say what you can or cannot do. 

I'm on a temporary cert myself at the moment and my take on it would be that I couldn't borrow a gun. It is titled 'permit to hold shotguns' and I assume this to be only the guns held in my possession at the time it was granted as it clearly states that I can not acquire any guns.

Or buy cartridges! It's a joke.

Sent from my XT1580 using Tapatalk
I rang the firearms Dpt. (South Wales) and they assured me I can use my temporary certificate to purchase cartridges. Seems a bit of a grey area though as my local gun shop doesn't seem to agree.

A temporary shotgun permit would be issued under section 7 to authorise possession of the shot guns listed therein and also section 2 ammunition; it also allows for use of those guns unless possession only is specified. It would also allow the purchase of section 2 ammunition, but not the acquisition of further shot guns.

Such a permit is not intended to allow the holder to borrow further shot guns, even for periods of less than 72 hours. By the same token, I would advise the permit holder against loaning a gun to a SGC holder because it’s return would be an acquisition, albeit a re-acquisition.

Latest posts

Back