World English Sporting

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nationalities of shooters would be a nice touch.
True, seems mostly FITASC  (on the wedsite) and Olympic do so, but not always anything else.

Just seen, GD shot 92 today. May be enough .

Last edited by a moderator:
It's over, with Bobby Fowler (USA) crowned the 2017 World English Sporting champion.

Ben Husthwaite 2nd .

Two totally different courses and two totally different days .

So in my opinion not really a  fair competition.

Perhaps it is time we considered qualification rounds for World Championships , World class / Professional shots should be able to  qualify on ability , but allowance for 'wildcards' or unknown talent to come through the ranks . Then the 'real' competition takes place on the same day and all begin on stand 1?

Perhaps we should consider using a few Golf rules , strategies and prize funds. :smile:

Any shoot is subject to variables, especially when over more than a day. GD was joint high gun on score, however, the super seven squad ,which i think is not really needed, was delayed for hours and was shot under floodlights. GD ending 4th. Not saying sour grapes, but that seemed a bit unfair if you do not regularly shoot under floodlights, and i wonder how you see clays in ESP this way, ?  must be more demanding than trap/skeet/trench ?

GD did post that he was not used to shooting under lights and also that it was to much to start shooting at 2 in massive heat and then still be expected to be on it later in the evening.

As far as i'm concerned if you win ,you win and that's it at the end of 200 unless a shoot off is needed...Super finals are just for the media and i think detract from the competition.

Its like you win and then you have to shoot again to win!

I know it's the same for all shooters but why do they finish a sporting competition with sport trap layout?

It also figures you are an American, and everyone else in the world  cannot have an opinion.

It also figures you are an American, and everyone else in the world  cannot have an opinion.
You're welcome to your opinion.  You're also welcome to have it called out as sour grapes when it looks like just that.

I don't recall any of my countrymen complaining any of the many times that top British shots have won world titles.

I look forward to a three-peat in 2018.

On the point of floodlit, I have to say having been to the last two finals in the UK that at least they had lights in the USA and a stadium.  The first of the two I went to no-one could see a thing, only the flash of the clay being hit if it was hit.  Hats off to the finalists because it was damned hard to see them.  Last year was a little better but still so hard to see and also we have no seating so we all just stood behind the shooters three or four deep in places which made it hard for all to see in any event.  I managed to get a seat for the awards because people drifted away - in a little stand that had been erected for important people.  I think all major comps should somehow work it out so that it isn't too late to shoot and that the maximum amount of people stay and watch the finals and prize giving.  Let's not get tetchy with each other - both sides have extremely talented shooters which are a pleasure to watch.

I feel it should be a fair contest, not under un-natural  conditions, no matter where in the world. Organiser`s of such competitions need to get their act together, not the competitors ! No sour grapes at all, some amazing shooters in the world, most of whom are amateurs .

GD did post that he was not used to shooting under lights and also that it was to much to start shooting at 2 in massive heat and then still be expected to be on it later in the evening.

As far as i'm concerned if you win ,you win and that's it at the end of 200 unless a shoot off is needed...Super finals are just for the media and i think detract from the competition.

Its like you win and then you have to shoot again to win!
Couldn't agree more! The highest score round the course should win simple! As you say, unless you need a shoot off as more than one have all shot the same score.

I still feel for Richard Bunning who shot a brilliant 117 at the English Open at High Lodge which was the outright high score! Then in the super final had so many no birds (using flash clays) that he almost blanked his first stand of 10!!! Hit 2 I think! And of course that lost him the title.

The super final was meant to draw the crowds and media in, but there was about 50 people watching and a few pictures taken...... not worth it.

It figures I should see these types of comments above.........

Zachary Kienbaum says it best: http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=95&t=454677&start=20
Quote : I've seen plenty of Super Finals finished under lights and while in England, at dusk when targets are extremely difficult to see. 

Genuinely interested to know whether this is in fact true, plenty of super finals finished under lights while in England ? If that was the case then surely GD would have been more used to them and not mentioned it ? 

Failing light is one thing but under flood lights is quite another if the locals would have had prior opportunities to familiarise themselves. 

Quote : I've seen plenty of Super Finals finished under lights and while in England, at dusk when targets are extremely difficult to see. 

Genuinely interested to know whether this is in fact true, plenty of super finals finished under lights while in England ? If that was the case then surely GD would have been more used to them and not mentioned it ? 

Failing light is one thing but under flood lights is quite another if the locals would have had prior opportunities to familiarise themselves. 
I think poor grammar confuses the point and his meaning was: I've seen plenty of super finals finished under lights (in the US), and while in England at dusk when targets are extremely difficult to see.

Same point made by Sian.

I find myself torn on this looking at it from differing perspectives....

1). It was exactly the same for all competitors - they all had to wait till late to shoot. They all knew the format before they entered - do not like the format don't enter it really is that simple. That said if the aim of the "Super Final" is to attract spectators / add to the thrill of the event then make it the first shoot off event so the maximum number of people stay and see it or run shorter squad numbers on the final day to allow it to all finish earlier because a 9pm at night shoot is surely not showing the top 6 or 7 shooters at their best i bet.

2). Lights..... Having shot under those very same lights at the NSC in the world skeet the brightness is superb and for me there were no issues seeing the clays. It makes a great spectacle when they break for people watching. I can say with certainty that NO GROUND in the UK that i have shot comes close in terms of lights to the NSC facility. That said given how good the lights are and the fact we have nowhere we can practice with that level of lighting - you should maybe question IF with shooters of equal ability would one who shoots under lights more often have an advantage?? - maybe - but that is not the winners fault and they should be congratulated no matter what and from those there in the final i have heard / read nothing but congratulations. 

I would say that maybe we need to be looking as a country to improve our own practice facilities or floodlights to enable us to practice. Sure i can hear all the old stalwarts saying now "its never been done like this for years" - so what! - if you stand still you go backwards..... if they have upped the game / standard of the event or opposition then get better yourself in order to still compete because you can bet your last £ or $ that that is what others are doing and if you stay still again you will be further backwards the next time. 

Maybe there is a case for a major event here (be that of a sporting OR sportrap type event) hiring in floodlights of a similar style and holding a night shoot off for a title? - Mind you then someone would probably complain about the noise at a late time...... 

I know for one i would be measuring the lumens (or whatever the correct measure is of light) and finding out what type of lighting is being used and trying to replicate it if we are serious as a nation / team in improving under lights because a few security lights on telegraph poles are not gonna cut it for long. 

Back