Blueing touch up

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonny English

Hi all 

I have a couple of little marks here and there on my barrels that would look better if they were touched up. They are no where near bad enough to warrant a re-blue, but I know they're there.

Has anyone had any success with any blueing touch up kits at all? They are very small marks so would need to be a pretty fine kit.

Have had a look on eBay and there are some birchwood casey pens, one a marker and one a paint, that may look fine enough for the job, anyone had a go with one?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used a touch up thing once, it was a sort of gell. I followed the instructions BUT it made it worse, it stripped more bluing off like paint stripper. I had to have the barrells re done.

be very very careful.

if there very small have you tried a marker pen ? If you do sharpen the end into a fine point and keep it in the scratch not on the blluing ?

I have used Van's Instant Gun Blue with excellent results now for several years.  I think I got it from Brownell's but really don't remember for sure.  Cleaning the area to be retouched is essential.  I use acetone or mek whichever is handy tho alky works if it's wiped a couple times.

Thanks all, I have one of the birchwood casey presto pens coming. Will just have to clean the area well as it has had some grease near it. Will give it a try on an old air rifle first.

Thanks

Is it a blueing pen?, as some are paint.

I use phillips cold blue liquid for touch up's, works brilliant, but as charlie said, clean it, then clean it again....  acetone is your friend.....

Is it a blueing pen?, as some are paint.

I use phillips cold blue liquid for touch up's, works brilliant, but as charlie said, clean it, then clean it again....  acetone is your friend.....
Yes it's a blueing pen, not paint. I'll pick some acetone up from somewhere to give the area a good clean, where will a good place be to look for acetone?

I got some from Boots to make up some Eds Red 

I have used the Birchwood Casey black pen (paint) on my 303, around the ejection and loading ports, with some degree of success. I used acetone for a degreaser, I got it from Boots, it cleans off nail polish I believe !

Thanks, I'll check with the wife first, she may have some already for removing nail polish. If not I'll pop to boots.
OR pop into any company making grp products (boats/car panels etc) and ask them for a drop.

PS Take a sealed glass jar  :)

Last edited by a moderator:
As a hijack - how much is a full professional reblue? I am eyeing up a cheap sxs atm and the only thing really wrong with it is extensively worn bluing. I just wondered on the cost of getting it tidied up would be

As a hijack - how much is a full professional reblue? I am eyeing up a cheap sxs atm and the only thing really wrong with it is extensively worn bluing. I just wondered on the cost of getting it tidied up would be
Try Daniel Bromley 01233 502623 very reasonable i believe and seen some great results,

Also on FB

Thanks guys - are the home kits any good?

I read very mixed reviews.
They are what they are. Home use chemicals watered down to 'safe' and thus almost ineffective levels to prevent the general population from hurting themselves.

For the occasional mark or wear patch they will keep your barrels looking a little better but they are like touch up paint for stone chips on your car. Not really near as good as a full respray! :)

If you reblue your barrels are you enhancing the guns value or just telling everyone they were bad enough to be reblued in the first place hence the gun is not worth as much?

Yes it's a blueing pen, not paint. I'll pick some acetone up from somewhere to give the area a good clean, where will a good place be to look for acetone?
If you are using a blueing pen be careful to wipe the area treated with water and dry and oil it after you have treated it and are happy with the depth of colour ... if the area is of any size it can lead to a coating of rust in the morning if you do not !

If you reblue your barrels are you enhancing the guns value or just telling everyone they were bad enough to be reblued in the first place hence the gun is not worth as much?
We all like our guns, some like them shiny some don't care as long as the target breaks! My gun is 27 years old and in , for its age, good condition aesthetically but mechanically its in excellent condition... that's the bit that counts. I shoot with a guy who shoots a 40 year old B25 which is showing it age on the outside but it still works well and he uses it to very good effect ... so the take home is shiny means zilch to someone who knows about guns.

Back