Aftermarket Chokes

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thought I'd see if people have a preference on aftermarket chokes. If possible, specifically for a Beretta 682 Gold E. I'm not looking to get the barrels adjusted in any way just looking at getting a pair of half chokes and seeing if people have found better patterns from an aftermarket choke or prefer sticking with the originals from Beretta?

Thought I'd see if people have a preference on aftermarket chokes. If possible, specifically for a Beretta 682 Gold E. I'm not looking to get the barrels adjusted in any way just looking at getting a pair of half chokes and seeing if people have found better patterns from an aftermarket choke or prefer sticking with the originals from Beretta?
I stuck with the chokes that came with my gun for nearly five years and had no intention of changing but as a present and the fact he thought it was time for me to use slightly tighter chokes, the hubby bought me flush Teague chokes for my Beretta and they are well fitting and I have enjoyed using them.

The major difference you will encounter with some of the more, shall we say, avant garde after market chokes is a pronounced increase in shot string and a very noticeable increase in felt recoil. I personally would go for the Muller unobtainium specials a set of 1 through to 4 will cover all the disciplines. From the moment you put them in your gun you will start imagining things that had never even came to mind before you fitted those bad boys.

Last edited by a moderator:
What you will find with aftermarket chokes is they generally pattern tighter for a given restriction so therefore the same as you using a tighter one of your standard chokes.

If the looks or ease of removal of longer ones attract you go for it...if your looking for a performance improvement you are wasting time and money!

I nearly choked on this one. Theres bugger all to be gained, just stick to what comes with it. 

The black Teague extended chokes look great in my matt black 690 in comparison to the silver included chokes and they're 5/8 which Beretta don't do so that's the only real difference. Nothing wrong with standard chokes at all.

Having two of the same choke is one of the best things I've done, reduces some of the mind games unless you can keep your thumb off the barrel selector anyway!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unless they are broken or damaged and need replacing I'd stick with the ones you already have. I've tried it, spent the money, couldn't honestly tell any difference. 

Unless they are broken or damaged and need replacing I'd stick with the ones you already have. I've tried it, spent the money, couldn't honestly tell any difference. 
This was relevant to me as my chokes that came with my gun were not a good fit - not dangerous but not like a glove.

I have tried to use manufacturer chokes and only buy a new one if it didn't come with the gun. My new auto did not have a skeet so I used a Briley one I had and I swear it was tighter than a 1/4.  Bought the manufacturers flush Mobil skeet choke and all good again.  Could be my head imagining an issue but I don't think so. Briley are a highly respected choke manufacturer but I often hear they can be tighter by at least one constriction...... hearsay on a few forums, including this one, and from people I shoot with.  

The yellow 1/4 optima choke is a brilliant all round choke. Stick two of them in and you won't go far wrong. Would not waste money on after market chokes unless you want to alter the balance of the gun. Some after market chokes are heavier than extended optima chokes and can be used to make the gun more barrel heavy and conversely if you want to lighten the barrels put flush chokes in. It's amazing how critical balance is in the handling of a shotgun.

spent money on chokes over the years , no major improvement  of note ,  now shoot a 725 and use their ds extended   superb chokes , but you the pilot have to shoot straight !  :yell:  

there must be so many ways to improve the performance of three inches of a tapered bit of steal.......not. Apart from overall weight and the sexiness and colour of the sticky out bit a choke remains a choke. The fact that reports of aftermarket ones sometimes patterning tighter merely outlines the fact that the ones factory made for a specific barrell are better.

there are better things to spend ones cash on.

in my humble opinion of course.

I have tried Rhino,Teague,Briley,Comp-n-choke,Pure Gold,Kicks and even Muller(who make yogurts with more structural integrity) and i have Discovered that they make sod all difference!

spent money on chokes over the years , no major improvement  of note ,  now shoot a 725 and use their ds extended   superb chokes , but you the pilot have to shoot straight !  :yell:  
I have to agree with you on this one, BUT I did use Briley extended in my Inv + Miroku to good effect. I still use Briley extended in my 303. It probably IS,  a 'between the ears'  thing, but it works for me and I do believe they pattern tighter than the standard Manufacturers choke.   So There     :p !

It has been my experience that you simply cannot spend too much money of aftermarket choke tubes.  And the performance you can expect is tied directly to the price you pay.  It's really unfortunate that Perazzi choke tubes won't fit in other guns because they are mother expensive!!  Just think of the gains you have NO access to simply because you don't have a Perazzi !!!  But that shouldn't prevent you from pissing away mega hard earned $ on the choke tubes of your dreams - Pay top dollar and you'll be just amazed at the results.

I personally guarantee it

thrust me

It has been my experience that you simply cannot spend too much money of aftermarket choke tubes.  And the performance you can expect is tied directly to the price you pay.  It's really unfortunate that Perazzi choke tubes won't fit in other guns because they are mother expensive!!  Just think of the gains you have NO access to simply because you don't have a Perazzi !!!  But that shouldn't prevent you from pissing away mega hard earned $ on the choke tubes of your dreams - Pay top dollar and you'll be just amazed at the results.

I personally guarantee it

thrust me
Ah yes, BUT the astute shooter buys secondhand,  which works out less than the Manufacturers own chokes !     :lol:   I recently sold all of my Briley/Inv + chokes for a total price that exceeded the price paid  !

Ahem!  I did the same with a couple of chokes. Worth a punt at MRP plus P&P to see if there is a buyer for your redundant chokes. 

I used 1/2 and full for years at FSP, i now will use 1/4 +1/4  for most stuff. ESP is not so demanding ! no point in worrying about chokes and ammo for most  clayshooting.

Pity you don`t get a choice when buying a new gun, most are multichoke with one each size of choke. next gun i buy will be fixed 1/2-1/2.

Pity you don`t get a choice when buying a new gun, most are multichoke with one each size of choke. next gun i buy will be fixed 1/2-1/2.
I bought a fixed 3/8th 3/8th (because it was suggested that K-guns are slightly tightly choked anyway).  It's an absolute delight not having to take chokes out and trying to get them clean.

Back