Essex Masters

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MJJ

Essex Masters this week. Who's going and what are your expectations - I hope to hit more than i miss.

I'm shooting Thursday all 200 in one day. I've shot it quite well the last 2 years so a similar score would be good. I usually have one great round and then an average one! Need to keep on the ball for 6 - 7 hours is tough.

But either way I've loved the shoot both times I've shot it.

I am shooting it Friday and I hope they open up all the ground this year so that we can cut back a bit on some of the waiting at stands that occurred due being so close together.  I hope obviously to do better this year also.

shooting tomorrow so hope the weather forecast improves.  I usually start bad and shoot the second course ok so am hoping to improve on my last two years here.  Love the ground and targets and thoroughly enjoy the day, getting excited already!!

As long as the suns out, it can persist down every night. I will be with a group on Friday - all in one go.

Up at 4.30 tomorrow morning, 4 hour drive, shoot 200 and the pool shoot and then 4 hour drive home. It's a fair day out! Been excellent these last two years though, well worth the drive.

Thats a killer of a long day, can you shoot your best after that drive !!!

Thats a killer of a long day, can you shoot your best after that drive !!!
Its debatable really, but staying over isn't an option for me at the minute, just had a little girl that hasn't been too well back end of last year, so being away during the day is my only option for this year. I don't expect to be at my very best. But I intend to go and enjoy the targets and the atmosphere, and have a good day out with the boys.

Its debatable really, but staying over isn't an option for me at the minute, just had a little girl that hasn't been too well back end of last year, so being away during the day is my only option for this year. I don't expect to be at my very best. But I intend to go and enjoy the targets and the atmosphere, and have a good day out with the boys.
Enjoy

we started at 9 am, quite cloudy and a tiny bit of rain.  Shot black course first and as in previous 2 years started badly.  Get nervous but don't know why, was squadded with friends who I shoot with all the time so no need to be.  

As usual, excellent targets, seats at every stand along with pallets to place guns/bags on, wood chips all around in case of mud, plenty of good porta loos, and ones especially for ladies which is great, and plenty scattered around the course, and free water. As we started early we had no hold ups but not sure what it was like towards the end of the day.

No breakdowns, only had 1 stand where the rabbit clays kept breaking before you shot but apart from that another excellent shoot from John.  I really enjoyed the day, it got quite warm, met some old friends, ladies got a free box of Ferrero Rochers which I have already eaten (well, I had to console myself) 

Stand 13 on each layout was a 4 bird sequence, 2 on report and 1 sim pair which was a lovely way to finish the course, and they weren't easy! A nice ride back in an Audi 4x4 was greatly appreciated too.

A great variety of targets, no two stands the same, I wish I could shoot it again.  Oh well, roll on next year.

Last edited by a moderator:
we started at 9 am, quite cloudy and a tiny bit of rain.  Shot black course first and as in previous 2 years started badly.  Get nervous but don't know why, was squadded with friends who I shoot with all the time so no need to be.  

As usual, excellent targets, seats at every stand along with pallets to place guns/bags on, wood chips all around in case of mud, plenty of good porta loos, and ones especially for ladies which is great, and plenty scattered around the course, and free water. As we started early we had no hold ups but not sure what it was like towards the end of the day.

No breakdowns, only had 1 stand where the rabbit clays kept breaking before you shot but apart from that another excellent shoot from John.  I really enjoyed the day, it got quite warm, met some old friends, ladies got a free box of Ferrero Rochers which I have already eaten (well, I had to console myself) 

Stand 13 on each layout was a 4 bird sequence, 2 on report and 1 sim pair which was a lovely way to finish the course, and they weren't easy! A nice ride back in an Audi 4x4 was greatly appreciated too.

A great variety of targets, no two stands the same, I wish I could shoot it again.  Oh well, roll on next year.
So from last comment about trip back in car does that mean they've opened up all the land again?

Yes, the black layout is on the left side of the ground  and goes right along the bank where the last 2 stands are quite a long way away so you need to get a lift back, the red course starts to the right (as in previous years) and you shoot 5 stands, stand 6 is where I've never shot a stand before (by the pool shoot) then  stands 7-13 mingles in with the black course but completely separate if you get my drift, sometimes it looks like there was a lot of people waiting but it was for different courses so no hold ups from what I could see. Very enjoyable day.

Walked out the house at 5.45 and got back home for 21.45. We were trying to explain to my brother on the way down what a technical target was, he now has a full understanding after shooting the round. Was a very good day out, thought the targets were pretty good and enjoyed the course. I did think there was plenty of low going away and quartering targets but when you out 26 stands on there aren't.g to be some targets repeated bit. We were lucky the weather held out yesterday. Shot a 144 which isn't a million miles away from my average, should have sglhot 150 to 155 really but really started to drop off half way through the second course, started to miss the easiest of birds through lack of concentration, but still really enjoyed the day. George's 191 is a pretty good effort, will be interesting to see what Richard Faulds does while he's on his good run of form, could be close.

Walked out the house at 5.45 and got back home for 21.45. We were trying to explain to my brother on the way down what a technical target was, he now has a full understanding after shooting the round. Was a very good day out, thought the targets were pretty good and enjoyed the course. I did think there was plenty of low going away and quartering targets but when you out 26 stands on there aren't.g to be some targets repeated bit. We were lucky the weather held out yesterday. Shot a 144 which isn't a million miles away from my average, should have sglhot 150 to 155 really but really started to drop off half way through the second course, started to miss the easiest of birds through lack of concentration, but still really enjoyed the day. George's 191 is a pretty good effort, will be interesting to see what Richard Faulds does while he's on his good run of form, could be close.
Glad you enjoyed it.   200 targets in a day requiring full concentration is hard going for the best of them add to that the travelling and I think you should be happy with your score.  I am hoping the weather is at least dry for Friday, we'll see.  I am also glad to see they opened up the land a bit as well, much better movement of squads and more interesting overall.

Glad you enjoyed it.   200 targets in a day requiring full concentration is hard going for the best of them add to that the travelling and I think you should be happy with your score.  I am hoping the weather is at least dry for Friday, we'll see.  I am also glad to see they opened up the land a bit as well, much better movement of squads and more interesting overall.
We had very little waiting, we had a squad of 7 on the red in the morning and 4 on the black in the afternoon. Generally when we got to a stand we watched about 3-4 people shoot and then it was us, so pretty much ideal. Took us 3 hours in the morning with 7 and just over 2 hours in the afternoon with 4. They have also opened up the full course and put the taxi service on to return, very nice V8 turbo audio Q7, gave the driver a prod and he drove it like he stole it, went like stink and sounded awesome! Red course was pretty testing all the way round, first half of black was tough,second half of black was softer.

Shot it today, 10am start. Went like clockwork, no waiting on stands and hardly a no bird in the 200.

A lot of the targets look easy enough until you come to shoot them. Many of them have a slight trick about them to catch you out - classic Mr Dyson course setting. 

Thoroughly enjoyed the day and the company of a group of friendly guys from West Wales.

Back