What do you consider to be the best 3 Pilla lenses to buy?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jules_B725

I have an opportunity to buy some Pilla glasses probably the Outlaw X7 version and I'm a bit undecided what 3 lenses to purchase.  In your experience/opinion what would be the best 3 lenses to purchase initially?

I currently use some orange Browning lenses that cost £19.99, they are ok but recently tried a friends purple Pilla lense and what a difference ... I hit more clays, but can't just put that down to the glasses or should I?!

Thank you  :)

Seeing them is a good thing! It may be purple is a good colour for you, they don't have to be Pilla though.

You may find the same effect from Randolph or Castellani and have lots of change spare to spend on shooting!

Pm me if you need anything for a shootclay discount ??

Thanks for the reply, I was thinking of getting a purple lense as one of the three.  Do you have any links to the Randolph or Castellani glasses, I've not heard of these before?

Thanks
Jules

Yesterday I thought I'd change from my usual reddish Pilla to a darker browny one because it looked sunnier than usual, I shot appallingly but could see them perfectly well ! I also noticed that to a man people were out in their usual "colour" and to a man they all seemed to hit and miss due to spottable technique/flinch/lead/tempo/etc, flaws ( I must have been a sight meself ).

I honestly think a tad too much is being made of colours, I mean you don't see people changing lenses from one corner of the shoot to another or when it clouds over during the two hour stint do you, why not ? 

Yesterday I thought I'd change from my usual reddish Pilla to a darker browny one because it looked sunnier than usual, I shot appallingly but could see them perfectly well ! I also noticed that to a man people were out in their usual "colour" and to a man they all seemed to hit and miss due to spottable technique/flinch/lead/tempo/etc, flaws ( I must have been a sight meself ).

I honestly think a tad too much is being made of colours, I mean you don't see people changing lenses from one corner of the shoot to another or when it clouds over during the two hour stint do you, why not ? 
I agree, I think it's become a mind-game. Sure, you need the right lense or two for your own needs, but there are so many now it's crazy. Imagine all these lenses were colourless to look at, but had the same effects by some magic filtration system. Would so many be sold? I'm considering buying some new Pilla glasses and the lense choice has actually left me frozen and not doing it, as the choice is bewildering and at the cost they are you need to get it right first time with prescriptions.. I bought the original Hidefspex (as Pilla used to be called) and there were about five lenses to choose from. I loved the old Max Orange 40. It may still be the best for me, but I need to somehow evaluate the other 27 similar ones..

I bumped into Ed Lyons at Westfield on Saturday, but figured there was only five hours left to shoot so there wasn't time to go through it with him. ?

Last edited by a moderator:
I am sure there are people who quantifiably benefit from having one lens or other, I just find the array and monthly additions a bit much. I think most people could just about get away with two sets, light and dark to allow for sunny days, their primary purpose is surely protection as even seeing the target well is no guarantee of being able to break it (for the majority)

I am sure there are people who quantifiably benefit from having one lens or other, I just find the array and monthly additions a bit much. I think most people could just about get away with two sets, light and dark to allow for sunny days, their primary purpose is surely protection as even seeing the target well is no guarantee of being able to break it (for the majority)
"Back in the day" I had the orange 40 which I used almost all the time. Then I added a 15 dark brown for when a course setter had no idea where the sun was when he set the course. I wanted a light yellow for very dark conditions and waited a year until they went mad and actually made one. That set of three was perfect for me, before it all went wrong when I was forced to go prescription. Im sure the choices now are great in reality, but simplicity has gone and the "worry" of not getting the best one has emerged as a new mind-game.

My choices would be light purple dark purple and as dark a brown as you can get!

if I had to pick one then split the dif on the purples and go down the middle

I am a lens changer - usually change to a different lens at least 3 times in a shoot.  :cool:

My choices would be light purple dark purple and as dark a brown as you can get!

if I had to pick one then split the dif on the purples and go down the middle
I've looked at the colour definitions and these colours seem to cover most eventualities, thanks Ed!

Looking seriously at this as close to ordering prescription glasses from Ed Lyons.  I was a fan of max orange (as stated previously) but amazed how restful the 69MWN (pale purple) was when I tried it recently. Just need to try a darker purple, but I suspect I'm right on track with Ed S for the way forward here..

For me it is Dark purple every time for me they really highlight an orange target. I use Randolph shooting glasses.

Over the years I've tried close to everything I think.  I use Decot but I don't believe maker has anything at all to do with utility.  For the colors I'm down to a pale orange and a pale purple.  Mostly the orange which has replaced a pale yellow, tho I was not unhappy with the yellow treating it as a marginally superior alternative to clear.  Unlike most of you, I guess, I grew up in sunlight so that is not a problem.   :wink:   I suspect that what I would call extreme could be fairly ho-hum to you in terms of failing light.  A realistic evaluation would more likely be that I'm so talent challenged that expecting lens color to actually affect my shooting has faint hope.  An absolutely certain proper prescription would prolly more to the top of the list for me than color.

JMO of course

Prescription is critical if you need it of course, way more important than colour. It all adds up to the same thing, seeing the damned things. I reminded myself today that a pair of dark grey glasses (normal sunglasses) are fine looking against bright sky, but some edgey orange and pink targets against green were tough to see well. I was certainly helped by a coloured lense; a yellow (straight from specsavers) that was great in bright conditions today. I've now ordered some light purple ones from ED to cope with low light and orange against grey sky mainly. 

Shot today and was pleased I had my Pilla +9 polarised lens - really is the business when you have bright sun but then I have a sensitivity to glare 

I also have a 44 purple and a 94 very light green that switches the lights on when it's overcast or shaded by trees 

there probably is a bit of the placebo effect but I like my 3 lens set and they seem to work well for me especially when game shooting - I tend to wear eye protection most of the time and keep a spare lens with me  it I'm not a manic lens changer 

Back