Pre-mounting

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vulkan18th

Hi All,

I'm just wondering what everyone's opinions are on pre-mounting the gun in sporting, is it a case that you will pre-mount for some quick/troublesome targets or does everyone mount when they see the clay?

I only ask because I'm a serial pre-mounter....I can't seem to hit anything if I don't pre-mount so I was going to practice mounting the gun until it's down in muscle memory :D  I also can't shoot with both eyes open so wonder if that might be affecting my confidence when not pre-mounting, any tips?

have tried pre-mounting with both eyes shut, but it does not work for me I  need to do it there and then, she is ok with that !

I find that having the gun out of the shoulder gives better vision of the clay and its easier to start the gun movement. I only ever pre- mount on low going way clays that need a quick shot. But plenty of the very top shots pre- mount on everything and it works for them.

After 50 plus years of shooting 'gun down' I now find it difficult to shoot any other way, except for Trap disciplines. However, having recently changed my gun for one which has a longer stock, I now find myself pre- mounting far more than ever before. I also have developed a bad habit of calling 'Pull' and then starting to mount my gun before the target appears, due to the stock catching my clothing. I need to get the pitch right so that the stocker can just make 1 cut and refit the recoil pad.

I do both depending on the clay.  Gun down definitely helps me see the clay better.  Sometimes if I have my gun mounted too long it can go terribly wrong.   but little whippy ones I tend to pre mount.

I would only usually pre-mount, for something quick away, double rise etc.

However, my gun down will vary from, below the region of a FITASC line, to only just out of my shoulder, depending on how long I have.

If you mount too soon and are waiting for the clay, you may find yourself being premature and not killing g it where you had intended.

I'm a head up, type of shot and slightly robotic.  I quite often mount on my kill point, swing back to my hold point, then I push the gun forward and down, then look and call for the bird. The gun comes to my face first, then back into my shoulder (though it looks like one move).

SKEET EDIT:

I would just like to add, that I posted this BEFORE, thumbing through this month's PULL!, noting it's article on The Method.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it might be a case that my stock is too long and snagging on my clothing that's causing me to have problems mounting the gun. Or a fit issue in general maybe? 

When I first took this game up about 20 odd years ago I bought a gun that really didn't fit, it kicked the hell out of me so I ended up packing it in.

When I took it up again about 6 years ago I was understandably anxious about the same thing happening so I have been an habitual 'pre mounter' for ESP until recently. 

Ive had a few lessons (Maxum on here) and with is advice and feeling increasingly confident in my mount I've started to experiment more with 'gun down' and it's genuinely surprised me how well it works - on certain targets. 

I think with pre mount you can have too much time on you hands...you find yourself aiming to 'be certain' whereas when you shoot gun down it does feel more natural, less contrived and more instinctive. 

As long as your mount is consistent and good, give it a try...you may be suprised. 

Last edited by a moderator:
With all the talk you hear about people shooting gun down it's surprising how few people you actually see doing it at Registered shoots. If you want good vision of a target you have to wait for just lift your head off the stock while you wait and then drop it before you take the shot.

Having the gun out of the shoulder with the barrels held at the correct angle and height for the target is the prerequisite for good initial pick up which will invariably result in good final outcome. You could almost tell a shooters status/class/experience level from watching for a few tell tale posture signals, whether they even break the target is almost immaterial.

But, it is imperative that you also know when (and how) to pre-mount and although the "away" trap type targets are a particular candidate many will have their own idiosyncrasies arrived at through experience. For instance I will pre-mount on soft quartering and/or slow moving high targets in an effort to hinder gun speed especially if I have watched tons of people miss in front. 

You must also be prepared to be surprised on occasion when a type of target you would ordinarily not pre-mount on suddenly appears to turn chips and misses into smokes by your willingness (or desperation) to change tactic. 

With all the talk you hear about people shooting gun down it's surprising how few people you actually see doing it at Registered shoots. If you want good vision of a target you have to wait for just lift your head off the stock while you wait and then drop it before you take the shot.
I do this as well.  Especially incoming edge on orange targets like you get at Horne or the one off the bank at Owls on Thursday.

I do this as well.  Especially incoming edge on orange targets like you get at Horne or the one off the bank at Owls on Thursday.
I hate those targets at Horne, probably drop more on those than on anything else there.  I need to work on a consistent method for them.

I hate those targets at Horne, probably drop more on those than on anything else there.  I need to work on a consistent method for them.
I think that many of those targets at Horne, are missed by leaving them too late.  By allowing them to come in too close, you have reduced your pattern and have to allow for the target dropping.

Having the gun out of the shoulder with the barrels held at the correct angle and height for the target is the prerequisite for good initial pick up which will invariably result in good final outcome. You could almost tell a shooters status/class/experience level from watching for a few tell tale posture signals, whether they even break the target is almost immaterial.

But, it is imperative that you also know when (and how) to pre-mount and although the "away" trap type targets are a particular candidate many will have their own idiosyncrasies arrived at through experience. For instance I will pre-mount on soft quartering and/or slow moving high targets in an effort to hinder gun speed especially if I have watched tons of people miss in front. 

You must also be prepared to be surprised on occasion when a type of target you would ordinarily not pre-mount on suddenly appears to turn chips and misses into smokes by your willingness (or desperation) to change tactic. 
I have been told that I do everything in the correct and stylish way apart from breaking the clay.

Latest posts

Back