Some cleaning questions.

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Worcs

1. How often do you remove the ejectors when cleaning after shooting? Every time, occasionally or never? After watching a youtube video, it seems a lot easier to remove them than I thought.

2. Should I be removing my chokes to clean separately? I understand you shouldn't clean the barrels without the chokes in to avoid getting crap in the threads, but should I remove them after the barrels are clean to clean and inspect?

3. I have gun oil that came with the gun and some Napier gun grease. Which parts require oil and which grease? I'd assume the hingepin would want greasing but does anywhere else need it?

I've read and watched lots of contradicting information so it would be great this forum's opinions. Thanks in advance  :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I think in five years, Tony has removed my ejectors a couple of times for a bit of a clean when he felt there was a slight issue.   Chokes are removed and cleaned weekly.  Barrels cleaned first before removing choke and Tony then just cleans the finger length of barrel at the top carefully, before putting clean chokes back.  He always put a little grease around the thread on the chokes before screwing back in but with my new chokes he hasn't done that.  Oil is used to clean the parts and inside the barrels but he wouldn't leave oil on the gun after cleaning.  All parts basically that would come together and rub get a little dab of grease.

Gun cleaning is a very personal thing. Some shooters are fastidious and clean every nook and cranny after every shoot... others like me give the gun a good wipe down with an oily rag after every shoot. I only ever take the ejectors out now and again. I only clean the bores with a brush and bore cleaner say once every three months but if I know I am not going to use my gun for more than a week I give it a run through with a bit of kitchen towel soaked with cleaner then a dry tissue. Perazzi recommend the use of grease on all the action parts wear points. I have to say my gun looks good and functions very nicely and the inside of the bores are always nice and shiney so I just conclude that I am doing all right.

edit

One very important point which you are probably aware of anyway but if your gun gets wet never put it in the slip to take it home. Wipe off as much of the moisture that you can and then wait until you are home and the gun been allowed to dry off  then give it a wipe down and put it away in its case.

I think in five years, Tony has removed my ejectors a couple of times for a bit of a clean when he felt there was a slight issue.   Chokes are removed and cleaned weekly.  Barrels cleaned first before removing choke and Tony then just cleans the finger length of barrel at the top carefully, before putting clean chokes back.  He always put a little grease around the thread on the chokes before screwing back in but with my new chokes he hasn't done that.  Oil is used to clean the parts and inside the barrels but he wouldn't leave oil on the gun after cleaning.  All parts basically that would come together and rub get a little dab of grease.
so ma'am has a man servant to clean maams guns ?

edit

One very important point which you are probably aware of anyway but if your gun gets wet never put it in the slip to take it home. Wipe off as much of the moisture that you can and then wait until you are home and the gun been allowed to dry off  then give it a wipe down and put it away in its case.
Might be a daft question but why dont you put the gun in its slip if its wet?

Might be a daft question but why dont you put the gun in its slip if its wet?
The gun being in a confined space with a nice moisture rich atmosphere and probably slightly warmer has more chance of corroding even in a very short period of time. It has never happened to me but I heard of someone with a Browning that was put in the slip wet and when it was taken out after the drive home ... it was indeed brown :lol:

so ma'am has a man servant to clean maams guns ?
Now Ian you have hit the nail on the head there. If I actually had some servant who knew what he/she was doing I would have sir's gun cleaned top to bottom after every use but since I don't  a well thought out routine is used :lol:

The gun being in a confined space with a nice moisture rich atmosphere and probably slightly warmer has more chance of corroding even in a very short period of time. It has never happened to me but I heard of someone with a Browning that was put in the slip wet and when it was taken out after the drive home ... it was indeed brown :lol:
Thanks for letting me know i will have to remember this.

john

Mrs ips loaded for me on Sunday, I did explain that there was more to the job than loading. I explained she really should be carrying my gun and cartridges and ensuring that I was on the correct peg at the correct time and that after the shoot she should not give me my gun back until it had been cleaned.

her reply was unprintable but she made it quite clear that stuffing was as far as she would go.

good luck with yours should you wish to try.

john

Mrs ips loaded for me on Sunday, I did explain that there was more to the job than loading. I explained she really should be carrying my gun and cartridges and ensuring that I was on the correct peg at the correct time and that after the shoot she should not give me my gun back until it had been cleaned.

her reply was unprintable but she made it quite clear that stuffing was as far as she would go.

good luck with yours should you wish to try.
Well she is good at cleaning but I will do my guns myself :)   However I will be shooting at Lonato and Ychoux later in the year and... she is coming along with me to watch! I suspect more for the holiday but it is a first... I don't think they allow loaders on a UT comp :lol:

last weekend (paddys weekend here in ireland ) there was a lot of shooting going on and in terrible conditions . Over the friday saturday and sunday i used nearly 750 cartridges between 5 registered shoots and a charity shoot . My gun got soaked as did i while shooting Over the 2 ABT shoots that were on  . so on sunday night i stippped it completly down ejectors out firing pins out everything and gave it a proper clean .

My gun is a Miroku Mk-38 but generally i use beretta gun oil and barrel detergent . This is what i did

1. Give the barrels a spray of the detergent and leave it for a minute before cleaning out with brush rod

2. Use a bore snake and pull it through 2 or 3 times

3. Use a 2 or 3 cleaning patch and rod to wipe barrels clean 

4. Then spray a cleaning patch with gun oil and push it through the barrel to leave a layer of oil protection .

5. Remove ejectors and clean / remove any light rust that might be on them.

6 Put a tear drop of oil under them and reinstall

7 wipe down the action and clean off any resedue . Used cotton swabs to get into hard to reach places

8. Removed stock

9. Removed firing pins

10. Using cotton swab cleaned out hoising where pins sit. It was filthy.

11.Reinstalled pins and cleaned around the springs and hammers using cotton swabs and lint free cloths.

12.reattached stock.

13.Greased anywhere where there is friction as you open and close the gun . Hinges etc

14. Gave action and barrels  a wipe with an oily rag and wiped with a clean lint free cloth afterwards

15.Put back in gun safe ready for the next shoot 

I wouldnt normally go to the extremes of removing the pins and ejectors but the gun got very wet and there was rust starting to develop . Normally for the ejectors and firing pins once maybe twice a year id do this 

that isn't cleaning, that's a full service ?

I clean mine after every shoot. If I know I am shooting the next day then just use a bore snake on the barrels and wipe over the action, stock and barrels with a lightly oiled rag.

I take the ejectors off maybe every 3-4 months for cleaning unless its been out in the rain. They are easy once you have done it a few times but at least with Beretta do it inside a plastic bag to avoid losing spring loaded parts all over the place.

Chokes I take out every time after cleaning barrels and use an old toothbrush on the barrels threads. Clean the chokes with a rag and lightly oil them before reinserting as easier to tighten and stay in place.

I find the cheaper end of the market works the best. Just one shot clears most of the fouling and leaves a protective layer of fouling behind.

find using shells loaded with tampons work really well  :angel:

Latest posts

Back