Recommend me some Wellington Boots for shooting

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

P1Fanatic

Only for clays as I don’t shoot game so need to match Tweed / Barbour J I normally wear cheapy Hitec walking boots that keep my feet warm enough with decent socks and do the job 90% of the time. There are a few grounds which tend to be a lot muddier = muddy trouser legs by the time you get back to the car. Holywell Estate last year for the Beretta Worlds and wellies would have been very handy as super heavy rain. Also a lot easier to clean off.

So what’s a decent brand that will wear well as seems to be a lot out there. I want something that keeps my feet warm in winter but I can still wear in the warmer months without overheating. Like the idea of side zips to make life easier. Don’t mind spending up to about £150 as will get other use out of them as the wife is into horses and about to buy one so will no doubt end up being down the stables a fair bit helping her out. She has had Hunters before and said they fell apart rather quickly as have a few of her friends.

Thanks

Simon

Harkila Foresters are the best by far in my opinion very light have zips down the side and can accommodate wider calf's if you are heavy set, I have a pair and have had them for 2 years now. i also got the Mrs a pair for Christmas she works with horses every day and they still look brand new. The mens version are £170 so if you can stretch another £20 into your budget you wont regret it. You can also take parts of the sole out to accommodate thicker socks. One thing i do suggest is try them on first as i had to buy a size bigger than usual.

Anything from http://www.muckbootcompany.co.uk/ - you can find them cheaper elsewhere but they are brilliant. I have owned a few pairs of  wellies in my time, Aigle, Hunter, Le Chameau and I have to say The Muck Boot Comapny are the comfiest I've had. You can wear them all day long no problem and at around £100 they're not too expensive either. I have these and I love them.

To be fair I've not had the Harkila that Holianl mentions but I'd have thought the zip is either going to get caked with mud and fail or leak.

I've had Aigle, but actually prefer the Hunters. Good value, firm ankle design good for standing at an angle or walking over uneven terrain. I have a neoprene pair for winter and a non-neoprene for warmer times. There's no way around that issue afaik. 

Anything from http://www.muckbootcompany.co.uk/ - you can find them cheaper elsewhere but they are brilliant. I have owned a few pairs of  wellies in my time, Aigle, Hunter, Le Chameau and I have to say The Muck Boot Comapny are the comfiest I've had. You can wear them all day long no problem and at around £100 they're not too expensive either. I have these and I love them.

To be fair I've not had the Harkila that Holianl mentions but I'd have thought the zip is either going to get caked with mud and fail or leak.
i was also worried about the zip on the harkila boots but they have a guard that covers the zip from mud grit etc so i have never had a problem, The zip does help get them off allot easier if you have had them on all day but i am a big build and struggle to find a wellie that fit my calf's comfortably. The Muckmaster sports do look nice though. Not a massive fan of Hunters i think they are overpriced now and dont seem to last very long.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have used Hunters for years for my bog standard welly when I go home to Wales for wandering around, short walks etc and I have recently bought the Le Chameau thicker neoprene welly with zip which also do varying calf widths for warmth and comfort out all day shooting.  I find them extremely comfortable.  I haven't had any issues with them but others I think complain about the zip going.  Tony has used them for years and had one zip issue - they replaced them without question at the time and did not ask for the old boots back either.  They are pricey though.

The trouble with Wellingtons which keep you warm in winter will cook your feet in summer,and cheap summer wellies offer no support.Best bet to look at MEiNDI and HARKIA as water proof and offer very good support,not as easy to take off or put on but will keep feet warm in winter and reasonably cool in summer.

Aigle Iso neoprene for me. I find them more comfortable than the Le Chameau equivalent. I wear them every day for work and dog walking and get about 2 -  2.5 years out of each pair.

I have skinny legs and use the non- zip version. I have just bought  a new pair from Decathlon (sports store) and they were £50 off . They did have their own brand version in the shop for less than £100 -  but I didn't risk trying them..

Throwing out a budget option here:

Personally I have Dunlop safety wellies... cheap/cheerful/excellent grip/good support and you can drop anything you like on them nae bother. Also handy with absent minded horses not looking where they are stepping. Require no care other than the occasional hose down inside and out.

Couple of types to chose from:

https://www.cromwell.co.uk/shop/personal-protection-and-clothing/safety-and-non-safety-wellingtons/purofort%2b-black-boot-size11-(46)/p/DUN9637695S?utm_campaign=pla-Personal+Protection+%26+Clothing+-+&utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping-pla&utm_keyword=DUN9637695S&istCompanyId=6aa6787b-063e-4414-802d-129f235df603&istItemId=aqrxpliia&istBid=tztx

or

http://www.thesafetysupplycompany.co.uk/p/4789807/s5---sra---dunlop-acifort-mens-black-safety-wellington---conforms-to-bs-en-iso-20345-s5-sra---steel-toecap---be-a252931.html?gclid=CJLSyrzz59ICFY0A0wodMJILlQ

ok - they don't have the cachet of some of the makes above, but they work and are awesome.

I use a pair that I bought form my local Clarks shoe shop.  They cost me £30.  They are not 'branded' but are well made, have good grip, clean up easily and look exactly the same as £200 boots when covered in mud.  

Absolutely spot on.  Exactly what I have but they are far too warm for the summer

I've had Aigle, but actually prefer the Hunters. Good value, firm ankle design good for standing at an angle or walking over uneven terrain. I have a neoprene pair for winter and a non-neoprene for warmer times. There's no way around that issue afaik. 
I completely agree.  I have had all sorts in my time, some costing as much as £300.  Some good some bad, but there's no all-season option.  Will is right and I do the same - Muckboot Arctics in winter, standard Hunters in summer.

Proper 'boots' for spring/summer/autumn use and lined wellies for winter. So much choice available, but its the ones that fit the best you should buy imo. 

Only for clays as I don’t shoot game so need to match Tweed / Barbour J I normally wear cheapy Hitec walking boots that keep my feet warm enough with decent socks and do the job 90% of the time. There are a few grounds which tend to be a lot muddier = muddy trouser legs by the time you get back to the car. Holywell Estate last year for the Beretta Worlds and wellies would have been very handy as super heavy rain. Also a lot easier to clean off.

So what’s a decent brand that will wear well as seems to be a lot out there. I want something that keeps my feet warm in winter but I can still wear in the warmer months without overheating. Like the idea of side zips to make life easier. Don’t mind spending up to about £150 as will get other use out of them as the wife is into horses and about to buy one so will no doubt end up being down the stables a fair bit helping her out. She has had Hunters before and said they fell apart rather quickly as have a few of her friends.

Thanks

Simon
What colour are you after? There were some nice red ones down the local market £7.50 a pair.

Latest posts

Back