Seeing Lead - your thoughts

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a question and wonder what your thoughts are:

I am right handed shooter using both eyes - I see much less lead from right to left versus left to right and sometimes I see none at all on a variety of targets.  Why?  I am interested in your theories.

Absolutely impossible to say with any accuracy without seeing you shoot. People see lead in different ways and what's 1 metre to one person may be 3 to another.

Absolutely impossible to say with any accuracy without seeing you shoot. People see lead in different ways and what's 1 metre to one person may be 3 to another.
Yes  I am aware of that but it just interests me why on one side I see next to nothing and the other I can see varying leads.  I can be shooting a target that will be requiring a lot of lead but I will see next to nothing from right to left.   I can see when Sian shoots her target what the lead is and I can see clearly see how much but I won't see it - hitting the target though most times.

Maybe your getting a pull from your left eye on that target

Try shutting your left eye and see if it levels up the lead

Last edited by a moderator:
If right handed then you swing left to right easier than right to left,so gun is moving quicker or I am talking bollocks.

I have a question and wonder what your thoughts are:

I am right handed shooter using both eyes - I see much less lead from right to left versus left to right and sometimes I see none at all on a variety of targets.  Why?  I am interested in your theories.
I'm the same but I wouldn't quite say I see no lead, just less. I believe the reason is thus : 

R to L you are pulling the gun and stock into your cheek and subconsciously know you are not going to lift your head, the whole execution of the shot is more fluid and natural therefore once the line is established and you have passed the clay or (reached the right lead in case of maintained) you fire.

L to R the guns movement is in the same direction of it wanting (or at least being able to) leave contact with cheek, the brain knows this is bad so the tempo is less fluid and more control is exerted by the conscious side, this nano second of extra need to maintain visual confirmation before shot is fired means the lead (regardless of whether it actually is more) is more readily registered by the brain which translates it as seeing more.

The other very important reason is that with a L to R the field of view is quite simply much more clear (owing to the presence of the barrels) thus making lead perception appear to be more. 

Thank you so far.  I actually know when my left eye is going to take over, I can feel it happening, as it does from time to time.  Hamster I more or less thought the same as you.

I'm the same but I wouldn't quite say I see no lead, just less. I believe the reason is thus : 

R to L you are pulling the gun and stock into your cheek and subconsciously know you are not going to lift your head, the whole execution of the shot is more fluid and natural therefore once the line is established and you have passed the clay or (reached the right lead in case of maintained) you fire.

L to R the guns movement is in the same direction of it wanting (or at least being able to) leave contact with cheek, the brain knows this is bad so the tempo is less fluid and more control is exerted by the conscious side, this nano second of extra need to maintain visual confirmation before shot is fired means the lead (regardless of whether it actually is more) is more readily registered by the brain which translates it as seeing more.

The other very important reason is that with a L to R the field of view is quite simply much more clear (owing to the presence of the barrels) thus making lead perception appear to be more. 
no idea if this is correct but it sounds like a brilliant explanation. Too heavy for me, I see no lead ever. Maybe that's why I am cack ?

Point at something with your outstretched right arm. Now close your right eye suddenly your pointing way to the right. Now think what happens to your gun. you have already got a fair bit of lead on a right to left crosser.

wonky eye like holianl...presumably ?
I figured it out ips. It's not my eye thats wonkey it's all the guns in the world that are.  :D

Last edited by a moderator:
any luck with the gun hunt ?
Yes I put a deposit down on a miroku mk38 I tried the beretta and browning but just didn't like them. It felt like I was looking over them and just didn't feel right. 

Latest posts

Back