Best overall O/U for shooting clays

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sfetty

New to shotgunning. Looking to buy a 28-30 inch Over/Under to shoot at my local Clays Matches and general practice sessions at the range. I'm 65 and retired. Have been a competitive pistol shooter for 20 years. Since I have retired. I have taken up shooting shotguns. Love it !!! Not any good yet, but will practice and get better. I am looking at 2 O/U's right now, but am wanting advice from experts on this forum.

I am leaning towards a Beretta Silver Pigeon I. My other choice would be a Browning Citori. I haven't ruled out other options however. Do you all favor a 30" barrel over a 28" or vise-versa ? I am only shooting clays, no hunting. Want to keep the price below $2500 if possible. Thankyou everyone for your input in advance !!! 

When my husband and I started clay shooting we bought our first shotguns at the same time.  A 28" Silver Pigeon 1 for me and a 30" Browning Citori for him.  I'd suggest that there is nothing wrong with either of them.  If you can, go and handle a few, see which fits you better and feels more comfortable and go for that one.

The beretta and browning are very different handling guns,go to a clay which sells both guns and shoot both to determine the gun for you.The 30 inch will be easier to move on at a later date if you what to upgrade.

I guess you are an American  or in America?

Try both in 30" , buy the one that fits you best of all .

If at all possible , and providing you can shoot it okay , buy a Miroku which are practically unheard of in the States due to Browning refusing to import them.

As you progress in shooting ability , buy a Ceasar Guerini , Perazzi , Krieghoff, Kolar , then when you have all that experience buy a Miroku MK38 Trap choked 3/4 & Full and rue all the money you have wasted and all the time lost. :smile:

As you progress in shooting ability , buy a Ceasar Guerini , Perazzi , Krieghoff, Kolar , then when you have all that experience buy a Miroku MK38 Trap choked 3/4 & Full and rue all the money you have wasted and all the time lost. :smile:
That sounds just like what I have done, after years of wasting money I'm shooting Grade 1 Miroku MK38 Trap gun with 3/4 and Full, but I'm very tempted to buy a Grade 5 version just because it looks very nice.

You won't go wrong with either of those. I'd be inclined to go for the 30" for the reasons stated. As others have said, try them out and take your pick. 

The best overall gun for shooting anything is a Fabbri with Bertuzzi running a close 2nd.  My lack of success is directly linked to not having the means to acquire either.

I mean, you can make do with anything but .....................................

Latest posts

Back