Left Handed Guns

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Holianl

Hi All, i am losing the will to live trying to find a decent read on the internet regarding left and right handed guns. I am a lefty shooter and have always shot with a right handed gun, does anyone shoot left handed and is there a difference between the two or would a decent gun fit resolve the problem. i have been looking at the miroku MK 38 in particular and i can only find one left handed gun but it is £500 more than a right handed version both grade 5 and both brand new but the grade one is still more in the left handed version. Even the browning and Beretta seem to be allot more for a left handed version. Surely they cant be more expensive to make, so why do they cost more to buy. I am not worried about the resale value as i am buying the gun to use so i would want it to be the best fit for me. Thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
Simple answer is to buy a second hand nearly new left hander which if anything will be cheaper as they're generally harder to sell, in fact I know lefties who buy right handed guns for that very reason which I find silly. 

The main difference is the cast "on" as opposed to cast "off" and it will make the gun recoil in a more forgiving way, if I were a lefty I wouldn't entertain a gun unless it also had the correct lever operation but that sadly can be quite tricky to find. 

Simple answer is to buy a second hand nearly new left hander which if anything will be cheaper as they're generally harder to sell, in fact I know lefties who buy right handed guns for that very reason which I find silly. 

The main difference is the cast "on" as opposed to cast "off" and it will make the gun recoil in a more forgiving way, if I were a lefty I wouldn't entertain a gun unless it also had the correct lever operation but that sadly can be quite tricky to find. 
Cheers Bud, so its not the case of the cast being adjusted for a left handed shooter? it baffles me why they charge much more for a new gun as i would be trying to push sales for the left handed model if it was my store. I found this problem with golf clubs as-well, company's just dont want to entertain left handed people. very strange.

Cheers Bud, so its not the case of the cast being adjusted for a left handed shooter? it baffles me why they charge much more for a new gun as i would be trying to push sales for the left handed model if it was my store. I found this problem with golf clubs as-well, company's just dont want to entertain left handed people. very strange.
With new guns they're either cast off or on, a few are sold straight too but they're generally either cheap tat or semi's which can be altered using shims. The reason right handed guns are cheaper is simple economics as it's cheaper to set jigs up one way for large batches. 

You can adjust the cast to suit but it's generally much better to start off with the appropriate one and fine tune if needs be. As mentioned earlier the recoil phase of a left handed gun won't be pleasant for a right handed person and vice versa. 

lefties need a leftie regardless of what some may say and regardless of those that shoot well despite of not because of with a right handed. Other than cast on / off at the comb there is a difference with the angle at the butt. If there was no difference all guns would be ambidextrous and folk like mutley would have a much easier job. Miroku are renowned for being quite straight and forgiving but again regardless of this there is a difference otherwise Mr miroku would only make ambidextrous. And we haven't even touched on palm swell.

lefties need a leftie regardless of what some may say and regardless of those that shoot well despite of not because of with a right handed. Other than cast on / off at the comb there is a difference with the angle at the butt. If there was no difference all guns would be ambidextrous and folk like mutley would have a much easier job. Miroku are renowned for being quite straight and forgiving but again regardless of this there is a difference otherwise Mr miroku would only make ambidextrous. And we haven't even touched on palm swell.
+1

I would rather pay the extra for the right gun, it just makes finding the right gun 10x harder but hay ho, i get to visit more shops :D

its your own fault for being one of them weird cack handed folk. They say your born that way and cant help the way you are but I just think your a chuffing awkward git .... ?

trust me do not be tempted or talked into buying a RH if a dealer tells you it will be alright because X make is virtually straight anyway then walk away and never darken his doors again

its your own fault for being one of them weird cack handed folk. They say your born that way and cant help the way you are but I just think your a chuffing awkward git .... ?

trust me do not be tempted or talked into buying a RH if a dealer tells you it will be alright because X make is virtually straight anyway then walk away and never darken his doors again
HaHa golf was the worst mate Left handed with a right handed swing no wonder i chose shooting instead.

Im LH but shoot RH gun, have owned a lefty but it makes no difference to me,

I am a lefty could not find left hand guns years ago used to get them cast but the toe never went only the heel some even went back to the original cast .I have purchased in the last year or two Browning and Gurini  in left hand versions but never had to pay a premium on the  price .The gun shop at Doveridge  used to stock left hookers worth a look.

Lefty here as well - shooting RH MK 70 - have always shoot RH guns. Tried a LH Perazzi for a couple of rounds - not enough to tell any difference. I am a pain to fit tho - adjusting to the gun in a matter of couple mounts...+ I am shooting rather long stock and I am standing more perpendicular toward break zone etc...works for me but might work better with true LH, I won't bother untill buying next gun I believe.

By all means if possible get a LH - 500 is small change for a "lifetime" fit compared to accumulative costs of cartridges and other expenses that follow over the years.

I am left handed and have a left hand beretta before that a left hand browning, if you can stick with a left hander. I once tried a true left hand gun with lefty top lever I couldnt get used to that after years of right handed top lever.  Luckily I play golf and all racket sports right handed, I played cricket and bowled left handed and batted right.  Never paid anymore new for my left handed guns than right hand versions either.

My new Beretta 692 and DT11 were no extra for being L/H stocks. Maybe they used to cost more but a lot more lefties these days.

I am actually right handed but left eye dominant and learned to shoot left handed. My first gun was a R/H 682 and I shot it fine even though the trigger had a slight angle. I noticed a big difference changing to a L/H but was a different model and had adjustable stock. If you shoot a R/H gun you will get by but it will always be at the back of your mind. If you want to progress then there is no choice imho.

As someone else said Matt Morgan at Premier Guns Doveridge has a lot of lefties in stock. I got my DT11 from him albeit with a custom stock through one of their trips they arrange out to the Beretta factory.

I'm left handed and have a left master eye.

You can bend a right handed stock as much as you like so it is 'cast on'  but if it has a prominent toe to the right then that will still remain and be uncomfortable to shoot.

A lot of Italian guns have stocks made offset to either right or left hand and trying to reverse that for the opposite hand is difficult.

As a trap shooter I can get away shooting a r/h Miroku trap gun as it's premounted and doesn't have a great deal of cast. Not so with a r/h Beretta though.

Miroku didn't cater for us lefties at all in the past but it seems they're starting to filter through now and Premier Guns at Doveridge are advertising them.

I have one of a pair of left handed MK38 trap guns that were a very special order to Miroku by Ian Coley for a game shooter wanting high bird guns. The owner flogged them and had a pair of Perazzis instead.

Back