shooting while injured

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwpzx9r

Don't know what others think about shooting while injured? I was working in the garden a couple of weeks back and strained a muscle in my upper back which has been a bother when sleeping and sitting relaxing. I have however continued to shoot but feel that the edge has been taken of my shooting. The funny thing is I cannot say I have felt it while shooting and am not using it as an excuse for losing an extra target or two. Yesterday the weather was very good and so I went to the club. The first round I managed a 21 but it was very strange of the first dozen targets I missed two but I had 7 second barrel hits! I then sused I was lifting my head and shot the rest better still missed two but no second barrels. The next round I shot a 22 this time I only had two second barrels third round I lost it and only managed a 19. Question is even if you do not feel the effect of the injury is it likely to be having an effect on your concentration and ultimately your performance and is it actually better not to shoot if you are carrying an injury?

if your not adding to the injury I don't see a problem. The only thing is if your thinking about the injury, your concentration will be affected.

If your'e the type of person to then have confidence issues as a result of a drop in scores because your head isn't completely in it then i'd give it a miss. if not and you're certain its not making the injury worse i'd carry on

just my two pennies worth of course....

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't know what others think about shooting while injured? I was working in the garden a couple of weeks back and strained a muscle in my upper back which has been a bother when sleeping and sitting relaxing. I have however continued to shoot but feel that the edge has been taken of my shooting. The funny thing is I cannot say I have felt it while shooting and am not using it as an excuse for losing an extra target or two. Yesterday the weather was very good and so I went to the club. The first round I managed a 21 but it was very strange of the first dozen targets I missed two but I had 7 second barrel hits! I then sused I was lifting my head and shot the rest better still missed two but no second barrels. The next round I shot a 22 this time I only had two second barrels third round I lost it and only managed a 19. Question is even if you do not feel the effect of the injury is it likely to be having an effect on your concentration and ultimately your performance and is it actually better not to shoot if you are carrying an injury?
I know just what you mean. I have a couple or three problems which are effecting me much more than I ever imagined they would. It's extra hard as I have been away from shooting for 10 years, and while never expecting to reach my previous capabilities, the truth of the matter is it's hurting to shoot and my performances are absolutely dire, with no changes on the horizon. What to do next is my problem.

Sounds like you need a 8" ramped rib and an adjustable comb with extended legs to give you a more 'head up' approach. It was all the rage 18 months ago (remember) but seems to have died a bit of a death over here.

September of 2015 saw me having a shoulder op on my right shoulder, I had not been able to shoot since the April of that year. I was advised not to shoot for at least 3 months. As I was going Game shooting in January, 2016. I did some clays with 21 grams in my 20 bore. I gradually worked the load up to 25 grams prior to the Game shoot and all went well. The problem was,  we had moved house in May 2015 and I had aggravated the injury with all the fetching, humping and carrying that accompanies a house move. All work went on hold after the operation, but I started doing small jobs again in January 2016. The outcome, is the operation has not been the success that I hoped it was going to be and I now struggle to lift my right arm above head height. I am back using a 12 bore, starting with my Beretta 303 auto, and now with a Browning 725 and 24 gram cartridges. Did the shooting make the injury worse, did I start shooting again too soon or is it just an age thing  ?  I do not know and probably never will, BUT I am still shooting, maybe not as good as before, but STILL there.

PS                                            

I Know you are a Trap shooter and I also know the whereabouts of a lovely  Remmie Tournament Trap, with a 30" barrel.       :eek:   

if your not adding to the injury I don't see a problem. The only thing is if your thinking about the injury, your concentration will be affected.
I agree with both of your statements based on personal experience.

You use your whole body when shooting.  If part of it is malfunctioning then overall performance can suffer.  Smear some hot stuff on the tight muscles and shoot.  It's not like you're chancing a Gold  :cool:

Time to get the Ralgex  deep heat out ...going to a smelly week   :lol:

Back