back to glasses ?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doctor Lecter

I'm a average esp shot  and have been using daily disposables contacs  for distance only  , I like them  overall, but  feel I would  have better vision with single vision distance  glasses  sorting out  my astigmatism   etc  .    so which prescription frames / glasses are best ?  

I'm a new shooter at ESP and have been using the Zeiss shooting glasses: https://www.sportseyewear.co.uk/zeiss-sports-shooting-glasses.html. I also have astigmatism.

I went for these lergely based on price tbh; couldn't justify the price of Pillas / Randolphs and these were a reasonable compromise for me. Also my prescription also changes every few years which means replacement lenses and again rules out the Pillas for me.

Note the frames only are by Zeiss; the tinted prescription lenses aren't, but i've nevertheless been very happy with them. No issues with quality / clarity. Large field of view, and the adjustable nose bridge lets you position them so that you're looking out of the centre of the lenses when shooting, as long as you don't mind looking a bit Dennis Taylor(!)  Fairly comfortable to wear and the thin wire frames and ear loops keep them in place without getting in the way of ear defenders.

I to have contacts for shooting but only for trap, I would imagine distant contacts are not ideal for sporting because you will get close birds, single vision is the route to go in my opinion.............as for which is best i do not know ! I guess this is one for Ed

I to have contacts for shooting but only for trap, I would imagine distant contacts are not ideal for sporting because you will get close birds, single vision is the route to go in my opinion.............as for which is best i do not know ! I guess this is one for Ed
They are CONTACT LENSES and NOT binoculars  ??

As I now have to wear bifocals all the time I struggled to get it right without being too expensive.  The hubby had an old pair of Randolphs which he no longer used and it was the ones where you could have the prescription inserts if you wanted them.  I spoke to Randolph direct, sent them my prescription and a week later the inserts turned up and Phil put them in for me.  As I am at an age where my prescription changes nearly every 2 years I only have to change the inserts which aren't that expensive.  Of course I didn't have to buy the frames etc but I am really pleased with them and would recommend them without hesitation. 

Also one (glasses from 14) with very poor eyesight, now and for quite a few years my day to day wear is a pair of variofocals, used single vision in the Zeiss for a number of months, did though feel as if I wasn't getting full view as vision did for me feel sadly lacking at the extremes, also the single vision meant I was struggling to read text at arms length, have gone back to contact lenses and dropped Oakleys for pair of Pillas with a 44N lens, have noticed there is an slight but noticeable advantage in picking up the flight of clays against backgrounds, my rider being that all my observations are purely mine and suggest one does if possible try as many frames and tints as is possible before parting with any serious cash 

Back in the 70's as the result of an eye test (shortly after I got married actually !) it was decided that I needed glasses  !  I struggled with those things AND contact lenses of various types. I got the specs provided by my job, but had to buy the contact lenses. After having a contact lens come out in a gale force wind, out on the marshes and fed up of misting glasses, especially in warm conditions, I looked at laser surgery. At the time Optimax had just opened a clinic in Manchester so I decided upon the laser treatment. That was in the 1990's and everything has been fine since. I needed reading glasses, but was told that I would, after the surgery. I have enjoyed over 20 years of near perfect unaided vision which also allowed me to choose any of the available shooting glasses. Even after the detached retina mishap last year (NOT attributed to the laser surgery), Optimax were able to produce copies of all of my case notes, which aided the surgeon carrying out the retina job. I have heard all of the horror stories regarding laser surgery going wrong, (mostly from Opticians), but it transformed my life and my shooting. Would I do it all again......................YES.

PS.   My Wife does NOT read Forums  !     :angel:

Last edited by a moderator:
A wise man would have bought glasses before he got married :angel:

A wise man would have bought glasses before he got married :angel:
Did YOU heed advice when you were in your early twenties  ?   (You may need time to think about this one ).

If I had listened to my Old Man, I may NOT have gone blind last year  !  He always said "If you do not stop doing that, you will go blind " I was about 14 at the time !

I have single vision contacts. I am short sighted, with astigmatism in my right (dominant) eye. Normally the standard of vision is excellent, and of course the central part of the lens is always placed on the central part of my eye, unlike spectacles where one is frequently looking through the edge which I reckon is less than perfect.

The right lens can shift a little, losing position and degrading the vision as the correction for astigmatism needs fairly precise rotational alignment. This can affect me eye dominance. This occurs much less recently, I'm almost convinced that the monthly lenses were getting contaminated which made the "floating" action imperfect. Noiw I've stopped handling the dusty material that I think contributed to this phenomenon. Of course daily lenses would avoid it.

I have toyed with the spectacles route, which would most probably have been the Zeiss frames mentioned above and would most definitely have been single vision. But after a long conversation with my optician I'm sticking to lenses. I may ask for a different prescription next time, I reckon he has confused my shotgun with a rifle and might have assumed I would need things optimised for very distant stuff.

I used contacts for a couple years and finally gave them up reluctantly since the clarity of vision they provided was so superior to glasses.  If you can get along with them I suspect that you'll ultimately be disappoint in the change to glasses.

Actually it's been long enough that I may have a go with contacts again - Gotta be some great tech improvements in the years I've been away.

A cheap option if you have an old set of frames is to have them re-glazed. Specs by post do a re-glaze service, with the option of 6 different colour tints, with varying depth of colour. I have used them in the past, before I had laser surgery. Worth a look at £20.

I used contacts for a couple years and finally gave them up reluctantly since the clarity of vision they provided was so superior to glasses.  If you can get along with them I suspect that you'll ultimately be disappoint in the change to glasses.

Actually it's been long enough that I may have a go with contacts again - Gotta be some great tech improvements in the years I've been away.
superior to glasses ?  so why go back to glasses .!

Evening everyone!

Contact lenses can be really useful, especially for very short sighted people like myself. At -7.00 diopters, whilst i could make some prescription shooting glasses for myself, they could end up being heavy and unsightly. Luckily, my contact lenses give me perfect vision, so i cant put down my missed targets to poor sight!

I wear Gas Permeable contacts, and these generally give the best and most accurate method of vision correction. They also can last up to two years so can be a very economical solution too.

The main problem is that they are a bugger to adapt to, as you can really feel them for the first couple of weeks, whereas a soft lens generates virtually no sensation at all, this is why less than one in a hundred people i fit with lenses chooses the GP route.

Soft contacts for astigmatism CAN work really well, but for many people they can move around causing blurred vision or even fall out. The issue with astigmatism is that the lens has to sit in a particular position for the lens to be functional - when the head is on the stock and our eyes are looking upwards the lids can affect the lens centration.

This was an issue i faced with Kath Bright - we moved her out of her contacts and put her into prescription shooting glasses...lo and behold she hits her first 100/300 and beats the legendary Paul Chaplow in a shoot off for a new Perazzi - well worth the money!

Another route you could go down is to investigate the Duette lens - this is a hybrid between a GP centre and a soft skirt - this tackles the astigmatism accurately but gives the comfort of a soft. 

If anyone has any question please either comment below or pm me

What are your views on silicone hydrogel, Ed
Generally great and are a "first fit" choice for many Optometrists these days due to the ocular health benefits conferred by the super high oxygen permeability. Some problems can be a reduced comfort level (they can be stiffer lenses) and more deposition as they can attract greasy lipids out of the tear film

Generally great and are a "first fit" choice for many Optometrists these days due to the ocular health benefits conferred by the super high oxygen permeability. Some problems can be a reduced comfort level (they can be stiffer lenses) and more deposition as they can attract greasy lipids out of the tear film

They are a first fit for me, I find them ok and I can see well they are for one day use, not having been down this route before its a learning curve for me I can only go with what I am told ! until somebody says better.

Latest posts

Back