Miroku MK60 as a clay gun ?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

7iain7

I've got a MK38 grade one & thinking about changing it for a grade five.

I like to shoot gun down & the one area the MK38 is a pain is the recoil pad snags on clothing the MK60 has the older style smooth plastic recoil pad which I feel is great for shooting gun down.

I never change the chokes I just use 1/2 & 3/4 for all the clay sporting grounds, so I was wondering if the the MK60 grade 5 in 30" would make a good sporter ?

The MK60 comes with fixed chokes 1/4 & 3/4. I do like fixed choke guns and have always thought they handle and pattern better, but that might be all in the mind.

One down side is that the MK60 is a lead shot only gun

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got a MK38 grade one & thinking about changing it for a grade five.

I like to shoot gun down & the one area the MK38 is a pain is the recoil pad snags on clothing the MK60 has the older style smooth plastic recoil pad which I feel is great for shooting gun down.

I never change the chokes I just use 1/2 & 3/4 for all the clay sporting grounds, so I was wondering if the the MK60 grade 5 in 30" would make a good sporter ?

The MK60 comes with fixed chokes 1/4 & 3/4. I do like fixed choke guns and have always thought they handle and pattern better, but that might be all in the mind.

One down side is that the MK60 is a lead shot only gun

Why not just change the pad !

Why not just change the pad !
the pad is only part of the story, I tried the MK60 grade one & felt it handled better than the mk38.

possibly because of the fixed chokes & hence lighter barrels ?

its interesting how all three miroku models MK38 MK70 MK60 all feel very different.

ideally i would like to try the MK10 & MK11 to see how they feel.

MK10 is very similar to the Browning 525 with vented centre rib.

MK11 is basically a Browning 725 with invetor plus chokes.

but these MK11 & MK11 are not imported into the UK

My Grade 3 MK10 Trap (with gr. 5 wood) and cased with all the bits, was in Malmo Guns, Lancaster. I now have a 725 Browning, which I am pleased with. Just to throw another spanner in the works !!

PS,

I have an Isis green pad that came off the MK10 Trap, up for sale too !

My Grade 3 MK10 Trap (with gr. 5 wood) and cased with all the bits, was in Malmo Guns, Lancaster. I now have a 725 Browning, which I am pleased with. Just to throw another spanner in the works !!

PS,

I have an Isis green pad that came off the MK10 Trap, up for sale too !
thanks for the reply, I did have a grade 5 725 for a while but changed for the MK38

Personally I find the MK60 too low in the comb. I assume your MK38 is the sporter rather than the trap if it is multichoked? Also low in the comb imo and I agree that the multi-choked versions do not balance / handle as well as the fixed choke ones. MK38 trap is one of the best clay guns, though wont fit everyone. Won most if not all major competitions, speaks volumes.

Personally I find the MK60 too low in the comb. I assume your MK38 is the sporter rather than the trap if it is multichoked? Also low in the comb imo and I agree that the multi-choked versions do not balance / handle as well as the fixed choke ones. MK38 trap is one of the best clay guns, though wont fit everyone. Won most if not all major competitions, speaks volumes.
Most shooters who 'drop their head' or 'press their head down' as in a Trap shooting style, will find the Miroku too low. I am now finding my 725 Browning too high ! (even with the adjustable comb as low as it will go), for Sporting use. I am a head up and bring gun to cheek and shoulder style of shooter and thus find the Miroku guns about right. You would probably find the standard Browning stock would be OK for you  ?

Most shooters who 'drop their head' or 'press their head down' as in a Trap shooting style, will find the Miroku too low. I am now finding my 725 Browning too high ! (even with the adjustable comb as low as it will go), for Sporting use. I am a head up and bring gun to cheek and shoulder style of shooter and thus find the Miroku guns about right. You would probably find the standard Browning stock would be OK for you  ?
I'd second that - my MK 70 has even some more drop at heel (63mm vs 60mm on MK60)  - fits me just nice, while some guys around here just can't hit a thing with it. Then I am able to adapt to almost any gun in no time (as long as it isnt too barrel light).

I also mainly shoot gun down but don't have any problems with my monte-carlo trap gun. The brownings are better especially the 525 appearing just over flat to me but personally I prefer the better vision afforded by the higher comb.

I also mainly shoot gun down but don't have any problems with my monte-carlo trap gun. The brownings are better especially the 525 appearing just over flat to me but personally I prefer the better vision afforded by the higher comb.
With my current stock configuration on the 725, ie :- as flat as it will go, I still need to shoot a foot under a rising teal target to break it.  (and NO I am not going 'through it'). I have now packed out the heel by around 1/4" to alter the pitch, I just need to shoot it now on the same targets that I have been missing over the top to gauge the effect. I am also using the measurements off my 303 Beretta sporter, which I hit most things with, as a guide. I had an early 3800 Trap with a Monte Carlo stock, bored Full/Full and hit everything with it EXCEPT dropping or going away overhead targets ! 

52 minutes ago, Skeet UK said:

The first bit of this video might interest you

Which probably accounts for my straighting the high tower last week  !   (stock too high)

With my current stock configuration on the 725, ie :- as flat as it will go, I still need to shoot a foot under a rising teal target to break it.
Blimey!! If tha'ts  near vertical teal then there's summat up! Has someone run over yer barrels??

its interesting how all three miroku models MK38 MK70 MK60 all feel very different.

ideally i would like to try the MK10 & MK11 to see how they feel.

MK10 is very similar to the Browning 525 with vented centre rib.

MK11 is basically a Browning 725 with invetor plus chokes.

but these MK11 & MK11 are not imported into the UK
The Mk10 has a vented centre rib (as does the Mk70), but then so has the Mk38 Trap model with 30" barrels, fixed chokes and adjustable comb sold into the Australian market. Likewise the Mk38 Sporter with fixed chokes, but I believe the other Mk38s Trap models are solid rib. Mid year, I'm expecting a new addition ... Mk38 Trap, 32" barrels (vented rib we believe), adjustable comb, adjustable trigger, Invector-Plus chokes. I'l be swapping the OEM chokes for Muller Featherweights.  Over here, I'm told the Mk38 is about to become more widely available in its configurations, whilst the Mk10 may go up-market. The wood being put in the base guns seems to have been improved, where the Mk10 Delux is drool worthy. I'm running a Mk70 32" as a clays gun, to be honest with ventilated centre rib they are far more lively than I was expecting. 

Blimey!! If tha'ts  near vertical teal then there's summat up! Has someone run over yer barrels??
Not yet, BUT it may be a consideration, IF altering the pitch does not work. However it did work on my MK10, to great effect and that was the same as the Browning is now. I could straight the high towers and get away with crossers, BUT I was stuffed on anything downhill or overhead from behind. I could shoot regular 80%'s on sporting, 23/24 on skeet and by removal of the washers from behind the heel, 22 + on DTL. The Browning is 1/2" too long, but if the pitch requires altering, it is best done when the shortening takes place.

Latest posts

Back