Black on Cartridges?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pirate Salmon

So I've just done 50 practice at Owls, and I noticed half way though that when having shot, the bottom barrel cartridge has black around where it was struck, any thoughts?

I've not seen it before, so I've no idea what could cause it. This is the first time I've shot since cleaning the gun last week.

92865efd787460ecf355603617f164bc.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Pin piercing the primer?

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Pin piercing the primer?

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
+1

Not likely to be a problem with the gun. I've had a few recently. The metal sheet that the primer was cut from was prob a touch thin. That's my guess. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Seen a few of these lately with different guns and cartridges ! Never had it happen previously,wonder if there has been a general spec change in manufacturing  primers.

Get your firing pins checked with a magnifying glass bottom one may be a bit corroded and slightly rough ?? looks a bit deeper ? good smith could polish it out ?

Nothing to do with firing pins.  I think there's on supplier of primers that a lot of cartrige manufactures use. A little while ago a duff run with a too heavy a gauge cap was produced and some with the cap too low. They would cause the frequent missfires.  Everyone ran about having longer pins fitted and new improved  mainsprings replaced for absolutly no reason.

If a lot of  people with different males and types of gun all have the same problem starting at the same time it's not the gun. 

Nothing to do with firing pins.  I think there's on supplier of primers that a lot of cartrige manufactures use. A little while ago a duff run with a too heavy a gauge cap was produced and some with the cap too low. They would cause the frequent missfires.  Everyone ran about having longer pins fitted and new improved  mainsprings replaced for absolutly no reason.

If a lot of  people with different males and types of gun all have the same problem starting at the same time it's not the gun. 
picture could tell both faults ...bottom shell firing pin off center ??? 

I only ask because my gun done the same with lyalvale express cartridges, primer gets pierced, gasses then corrode the end of the firing pin.

apparently the bottom pin on browning/mirokus protrudes more.

how true this is I don't know but my bottom pin got pitted quite quickly but hasn't got any worse.

Last edited by a moderator:
Try a few different shells before you worry about the gun!! If it doesn't happen with other shells then it's prob the fault of the primers. If it does happen with other shells, then get the pins looked at.

Latest posts

Back