Cleaning tips for a beginner

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yonas

Dear All,

I will buy my first shotgun at Thursday, so I have not any experience with cleaning and maintenance. I plan to buy oil and grease (only for dedicated points) and a brush kit for cleaning( or a barrel snake if you recommend). Do I have to buy any solvent spray to clean the previous grease from outside and lead from the barrel?How often do I have to re-grease the critical points, after every occasion  like cleaning? Do you have any experience with the Armistol oil and solvent products (Decathlon) or can you recommend any other type of solvent? 

Sorry for my poor English

I hope You can help me!

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
The biggest danger to any gun is moister, rain or even from your hands, the barrels will require the most attention whenever you have shot a gun or even handled it give it a wipe over, the finer the oil the better. The powder from cartridges can be corrosive so a clean with mop or an oily rag every time you have been out shooting then it will last for years, the action inside does not need cleaning often if you do use a very fine oil.

Tip.....never use Napier gun oil in the Action

I tried to find a Napier cleaner, but it is not available for me. I found some other blend but I have no idea what should I buy, can you help me?

Bore tech shotgun bland

Hoppe's 9 bore cleaner

Thanks

I use the Boretech shotgun blend to clean the inside of the barrels, great stuff!

To clean the outside of the barrels and other metal parts, any general gun oil should be fine.

A good wipe down with an oily rag of the barrels and action after every shoot and if it has been wet make sure the gun is allowed to dry completely before putting it in its case. I personally do not clean the bores of my gun very frequently because it is being shot at least once in every week but if I know I won't be using it for a while I give the bores a clean with some Armistol  bore cleaner and a bit of tissue on a jag. My gun does not have chromed bores but some guns do and the are more resistant to corrosion even so my bores are like mirrors . If after some time of shooting you get a build up of plastic and or lead get in there with a bronze brush and some bore cleaner then run a tissue through the bores to remove the muck.

Back