GP fees for shotgun license

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jungle91

Just got a confirmed date for my home visit from the met. Only 5 weeks since I sent in application so very happy. I also just got an invoice from my GP for £120! For supplying the medical records? Is it me or does this seem expensive? I have 3 daughters who all enjoy shooting, that could be expensive if they all want to apply? Any other people had a charge from the GP if so how much?

In short- don't pay it. Current basc guidance. 

Not sure if I can post links to other forums on here, if not check the thread under legal issues on stalking directory. (Not as weird as it sounds) 

Long thread but very detailed.

Also- welcome! 

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi jungle91,there is no need to pay the invoice as it is not necessary for the doctor to supply med's records as a no response from the doctor is deemed that you a person who has no medical problems.SO DON'T PAY.

from cpsa website:

If a medical report is needed, who will pay?

"During the application process  Where a medical report is needed because the applicant has declared a medical condition on the application form – the applicant will pay the fee.

 If a further medical report is required – the police will pay the fee. "

https://www.cpsa.co.uk/userfiles/file/MedicalEvidenceFactsheet-March2016.pdf

I'd wait to speak to your FEO before handing over any money. If they (the licencing department) have set a date for a visit they must already be happy with your application.

£120 seems pretty steep to me, I'm pretty sure banks are only allowed to charge a maximum for £20 admin charges so how a GP can justify £120 for what is essentially an extended email or letter I really don't know

See there is absolutely no continuity in the system !

I accompanied my Wife to the doctors on a routine appointment and asked at the end of the consultation if he had recieved anything from the FEO dept regarding a shotgun licence application i had made (He is also my GP)

His reply was "We aren't contacted when you apply, We only get informed when you are granted the licence if we have any concerns"

I replied that's a bit A*** about face at which point he just grinned.

Oh and welcome to the nut house Jungle :)

I accompanied my Wife to the doctors on a routine appointment and asked at the end of the consultation if he had recieved anything from the FEO dept regarding a shotgun licence application i had made (He is also my GP)

His reply was "We aren't contacted when you apply, We only get informed when you are granted the licence if we have any concerns"

You are not the sanest person on here maybe your doctor has concerns about you :angel:

with respect your gp is wrong. The very first thing that happens with granting or renewing is your gp is contacted and obliged to disclose concerns or to confirm none by ignoring the letter if he she chooses to do so.

this is how I understand it from conversation with feo

Just renewed my Certificate with Merseyside Firearms Team, excellent service totally painless. I was at the Doctors last week for a health check, no mention of any charge or comment about contact with FEO.  Sounds like another Police Force moving the goalposts to suit their own ends (AGAIN) ?

with respect your gp is wrong. The very first thing that happens with granting or renewing is your gp is contacted and obliged to disclose concerns or to confirm none by ignoring the letter if he she chooses to do so.

this is how I understand it from conversation with feo
From that i have to assume he hadn't been contacted ref my application at the time i'd spoken to him.

Strange he should give me that answer when asked the question, Might explain why i am devoid of the piece of paper :)  

From that i have to assume he hadn't been contacted ref my application at the time i'd spoken to him.

Strange he should give me that answer when asked the question, Might explain why i am devoid of the piece of paper :)  
At worst it only holds things up by 21 days. 

Ips is right, the new system require contact before a cert is issued. Hence the 21 day rule being introduced. I believe it was under the old system that contact could come after issue. 

My GP was contacted commendably quickly, in fact I received a copy of his response to the police request two days after my cheque cleared! 

GP's also now have to put a marker on your file that says you hold a FAC/SGC. 

There's a thread on this from last year . In general discussion. Page 3. Title. Renewed,gp fee, back door tax.

Many thanks for the responses, and the welcome to the site. I think you've helped make up my mind not to pay the invoice and I'll see what the FEO says during his visit. Hopefully it doesn't hold up the approval too long as I've got my eye on a gun and can't wait.

Why not query the doctor's invoice with the surgery who issued it?  Perhaps you can explain what is supposed to happen and that no reports are required and no fee is chargeable unless the police request them.

The FEO can't cancel the invoice - only the doctor can!

I did ring the GP, I asked what the charge was for? "We have to asses your history and also have to put a mark on your records to show you have a shotgun license." I don't think I've visited the GP twice in 10 years. When I pressed further to how long this would take, so I could get an idea of the hourly rate. I was told I needed to speak the practice manager, who wasn't avail on the phone the enquiry had to be made via letter, and would take at least 2 weeks to get a reply. Seeing as my home visit is on the 30th Jan, I'm was feeling that I just had to take the hit and pay the invoice, but now I'm thinking differently.

A friend of mine sent off for renewal last December and they had a phone call from the doctors asking for a fee. He phoned the FEO office (you could then  :) ) and was told to explain to them there was no need to pay it. If they insisted, he was told to tell the doctors to phone the FEO for clarification. In short Do Not Pay. Nothing more has been heard.

Reactions: ips

Latest posts

Back