Seeing the target break...or not?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iggy

Ok all, quick question.......am I correct in thinking that the shooter can choose their own break/kill point based on their personal preference and judgment etc?

The question is based on there being no signs at the stand stating the 'target must be broken between....etc, etc'

If I'm correct, does it follow that the ref should position themselves accordingly to establish wether or not the terget was broken or not?

Thanks,

Yes you're right, unless specified either verbally or by an object such as a cone for a rabbit. But sometimes they do stand in stupid places.

Cheers Will, thought so but just wanted to check I was on firm ground before I put the ref straight next time.

It might help if the gentleman in question got off his arse and out of his car rather than ask shooters to shoot them a bit earlier so he could see....

Cheers Will, thought so but just wanted to check I was on firm ground before I put the ref straight next time.

It might help if the gentleman in question got off his arse and out of his car rather than ask shooters to shoot them a bit earlier so he could see....
Worth remembering that there is no absolute best place to sit because there is no absolute sweet spot for every bird, some will simply be more at ease tackling certain birds at different times in their flightline, this can be particularly troublesome on true pairs where a scorer can get lulled into a false sense of security watching dozens of shooters taking a pair in a certain way and up comes someone who decides to take them the other way.

I have been on the wrong end of that scenario with younger scorers,  :unsure:  takes a lot of experience to keep things fair for all. 

Thanks Hammy, I know what you mean, the target in question was a r/l crosser (black, 2nd bird o/r pair) which slowed up toward the end of it's flight and dropped showing its face in front of some trees....perfect spot to take it to me as it also seemed to be for many other shooters as well.

It was easy enough for me to see/track and break, and actually see it break (as could other shooters) but as the ref was sat in his car, looking through a windscreen I suspect it was more difficult for him. 

This guys been reffing a long time, or at least as long as I've been shooting....around 6 years or so, and he always refs from inside his car during the cooler months. I can't blame him for doing this, but doing so shouldn't compromise his ability to ref effectively or require shooters to take a target in the wrong place...just so he can keep warm....

Only my opinion of course. 

A lady used to ref at Court Farm from her car, but at least she looked at the stand from an open side window.

Ok all, quick question.......am I correct in thinking that the shooter can choose their own break/kill point based on their personal preference and judgment etc?

The question is based on there being no signs at the stand stating the 'target must be broken between....etc, etc'

If I'm correct, does it follow that the ref should position themselves accordingly to establish wether or not the terget was broken or not?

Thanks,
I'm afraid this is becoming more common of late. In my mind it's up to the course setter to give guidance to their refs on a suitable place ( or not ) from which to score from . 

Many of us have no chance to be in the prizes but still require the feeling that we have had a fair crack of the whip.

Raise it with the ground and if you get no joy vote with your feet. 

Jasper.

Latest posts

Back