Cartridges co-operative?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lksopener

As the price of cartridges continues to move up at the local dealers I have been thinking why like minded shooters don't join together and buy in bulk direct from the suppliers? 

Is is there an issue with the suppliers dealing with individuals at such volume or am I missing something? 

I noticed recently for for example a discussion regarding the Winchester AA cartridges on here, they just aren't in existence in the UK at the minute but I know many people who would like them back. 

Any thoughts chaps? 

Liam 

bear in mind the maximum you can legally store is approx 10k

That 10k max thing is very vague if I recall and likely not a real issue. Biggest thing is getting several people to agree that they all want the same cartridge!

Hi will, 

totally take your point on getting people to agree on what they want could be an issue. 

Just a thought I had this morning. 

with respect will it is not vague at all. I forget what the figure is but the law states it in kg of powder incl primer and it equates to approx 10k 12bore cartridges. If you are found to be storing more than this you may be in deep doo dah.

I am not going to argue about it I am merely stating a fact. For the record my brother in law is a HSE explosives inspector so I know this cos I asked him and I have seen the reg.

with respect will it is not vague at all. I forget what the figure is but the law states it in kg of powder incl primer and it equates to approx 10k 12bore cartridges. If you are found to be storing more than this you may be in deep doo dah.

I am not going to argue about it I am merely stating a fact. For the record my brother in law is a HSE explosives inspector so I know this cos I asked him and I have seen the reg.
Sure, technically, but it's a stupid law that nobody enforces. I know plenty of folk that store more than this. I have 9,900 in stock now, so will sleep sound tonight. ?

You need to buy 100k to make any meaningful savings and it's hard finding 50 people wanting to chip in and be prepared to all go to the one address to collect. A much much easier and doable thing would be to organize a protest via social media and get everyone to stop buying overpriced home brew shells selling for upwards of £40 more per thou for the same product. 

Resist Intentional Price Overcharge of Faceless Foreskins AKA the cartridge cartel. 

Sure, technically, but it's a stupid law that nobody enforces. I know plenty of folk that store more than this. I have 9,900 in stock now, so will sleep sound tonight. ?
will, again with respect I am just telling the op what the law states just in case he 'is bothered" about the legality. Makes no difference to me.

Didn't we have a long thread about this a while back. Turns out 10k of cartridges contains the illegal amount, (not arguing IPS) but this is just a coincidence for a law that is made for a bag of explosive? I mean who will cut up 10,000 cartridges to extract the explosive. Any intended victim of the bomb would have died of old age before being blown up. 

I had about 10k in stock when the firearms guy last visited. He just said "Are you planning to start a war? Nice storage"

if you google it, it transpires that there is a law that prohibits "handling salmon suspiciously" and since 1939 it has also been illegal to walk on a pavement carrying a plank of wood. 

Last edited by a moderator:
yes we did, you may be right but that is the HSE requlation. Some people me included are bothered about HSE regs for (various reasons) so its best to know about it, hence my post.

I am out. ?

Ian, you are correct! I was a licensed firearms dealer in the past and to store more than 10,000 you have to be a licensed FA dealer and have approved storage!

Has anyone ever been done for being in possession of 11000 ?

I thought the scope of HSE regs was limited to the occcupational arena, ie Health & Safety in the workplace; I'm not sure it extends into the domestic arena.

Can I be done under HSE legislation for owning & using a dangerous piece of unguarded kitchen equipment in my own home? My guess is I cannot.

It must be possible to make a working fire arm from the handles of a wheel barrow, the argument that an IED can be manufactured from 10500 cartridges is just as ludicrous. 

Like any would be Guy Fawkes couldn't work out spacing out his orders from Just Cartridges !  :lol: :rolleyes:

Can have as many as you want down here. As to meaningful savings I bought 2 thou the other month and the guy gave me €10 off... I was delighted its not much but it is something. Bernizan had a deal on where you bought 7 and the 8th was free that is a really good deal but they are club France... expensive cartridges €260/1000

Some of the clubs down here buy in bulk for the members normally a good but not expensive cartridge for example Clever T2 which members can buy for €168/1000

If nothing goes wrong...it's fine.

My wife used to work in insurance, two little gems she came home from a training day were,

1. Lots of insurance underwriters have in the small print of your terms and conditions of your vehicle insurance, if you "have more than two thousand shotgun cartridges in your vehicle, your insurance is null and void"

2. If you have "over **kgs of propellant" stored in your house in either tubs or as loaded ammunition or combined...your house insurance is null and void.

Sobering thought should the worst happen...

I thought the scope of HSE regs was limited to the occcupational arena, ie Health & Safety in the workplace; I'm not sure it extends into the domestic arena.

Can I be done under HSE legislation for owning & using a dangerous piece of unguarded kitchen equipment in my own home? My guess is I cannot.
if the amount exceeds a certain limit you then the HSE have jurisdiction even in a private dwelling

Has anyone ever been done for being in possession of 11000 ?
yes, apparently they have but all I can tell you is it was for "small arms" so may not have been shotgun cartridges but that is only one case that I know of and the NEQ (nett explosive quantity) regs are the same regardless of the ammo.

ps

the limit that you DO NOT need a storage licence for is 15kg

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyway, the point is, if you did find a group of people to buy 25,000 carts for a deal, it would be divided up so none of them would have more than a few thousand each to keep at home. So this was an academic discussion.. ?

Back