Cheap and cheerful cartridges

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lord v

Hi, 

I'm after recomendations for cheap and cheerful cartridges... as a complete newbie there is very little point in spending a fortune as at this stage my hitting a bird is more going to be influenced by my complete lack of skill rather than a cartridges. 

Ideally I would like a fibre wad as that means I have a little more options about where to shoot. my only other requirement is that they go bang consistently when I pull the trigger! 

All i would say is, go to your local cartridge stockiest and buy the cheapest ones they have (i presume you want/need 28gram) - whatever make, they all go bang and as you said you are 'a newbie'. I would however buy a few plastic wad as well.

Jockers are very good if you can get a steady supply. £160 a thou round here. I have shot well enough with them to make a return to AA class in English sporting shooting these , so they are well up to the job.

Jasper

Last edited by a moderator:
I've shot Gamebore Velocity/Velocity+ for the last 4 years or so. Never had a misfire, never had a single problem with them. Most cartridges, including the cheapies, are better than most of us (or maybe just me?) so as Battue said, just get the cheapest you can find that are a regular line and stick with them.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Said it before, Rios. The cheap ones. I've shot about 45000 of them and cannot fault. They are slightly high recoil compared to £230/ 1000 stuff, but hey.. NEVER cost me a lost target..

Certainly not shot the numbers that Will has but I'm a big fan of the Hull superfast in both fibre and plastic. 

I tried Hull Superfast. Hmm.. positive is low recoil. Trouble is, I worry about how they do that with cheap propellant. Surely just not enough power?

I shot an extreme pool shoot with Superfast at EJC (when world sport trap was on). A long midi took a huge time to get hit.. and I did much better on second attempt using Rios. I was left feeling that actually Superfast were in fact extra slow.. I know cartridges are all about the head, but in mine, Superfast are not up to it..

All i would say is, go to your local cartridge stockiest and buy the cheapest ones they have (i presume you want/need 28gram) - whatever make, they all go bang and as you said you are 'a newbie'. I would however buy a few plastic wad as well.
this.

buy whatever is readily available and within budget. And you are spot on with your thinking, don't get hung up on cartridges or guns just shoot and enjoy.

Hi, 

I'm after recomendations for cheap and cheerful cartridges... as a complete newbie there is very little point in spending a fortune as at this stage my hitting a bird is more going to be influenced by my complete lack of skill rather than a cartridges. 

Ideally I would like a fibre wad as that means I have a little more options about where to shoot. my only other requirement is that they go bang consistently when I pull the trigger! 
I would bet that upwards of 90% of the shooters who post on here cold not make a better score using the most expensive cartridge they could buy compared to the cheapest they could buy... if they did not know what they were shooting so get the cheapest cartridges you can find and shoot them! If after you have progressed and think you want to shoot a more expensive cartridge give it a try... don't expect you scores to change though.

been here before john ?

extreme OT target, shooter gets on it late hits it with cheap cartridge budget components and low antimony shot, pattern therefore not too consistent neither is the fps due to poor quality control (sometimes shooter is even aware of a strange pop rather than the usual bang checks his barells after the shot to find black soot deposits and unburnt powder) Shooter convinced he hit it but target carries on. Horn goes target lost. Sound familiar.

scores can change on "certain" targets due to "budget" loads.

for the OP and many others you are correct though, furthermore we can all only buy anything in life that we can afford and or justify.

Hull CompX 21g fibre. Break everything at a registered shoot. 
Even if the gun is pointing in the wrong direction!? Magic!

. .

Joking aside looking at the images online I think these may have been what I have been using during my coaching sessions. Will have to double check next time.  

scores can change on "certain" targets due to "budget" loads.

I have no doubts that there are situations where a pricey cartridge will in the right hands break a distant clay target... but repeat upwards of 90% of people who post on here could not, even if that was their reason to use them, improve their score by using an expensive cartridge over a cheap one. The simple fact is that over 99% of the reason targets are not broken is because the shooter did not hit the target with the shot and if you don't do that then the target is lost regardless of what you put in the gun. As to velocity even if a cartridge had ridiculous variation say 20% you would still break the target with it, it would only make 5-6" difference at 40 yards and there is more than enough energy in the pellets to do the job well past that... a faster pellet slows down at greater rate than a slower one.

. The simple fact is that over 99% of the reason targets are not broken is because the shooter did not hit the target with the shot and if you don't do that then the target is lost regardless of what you put in the gun..
the 99% may be true

but

ask 40up, philr, paul120, mutley, balltrap about a notorious trap ground were targets used to be hit good style but not broken unless you picked your ammo well. Also don't forget 1% extra can be the difference between a win and an also ran.

I do not dispute that the majority and certainly new shooters will not tell any difference (hence my initial post) but you cannot make sweeping statements that there is no difference between high end and budget cartridges because there is.

the 99% may be true

but

ask 40up, philr, paul120, mutley, balltrap about a notorious trap ground were targets used to be hit good style but not broken unless you picked your ammo well. Also don't forget 1% extra can be the difference between a win and an also ran.

I do not dispute that the majority and certainly new shooters will not tell any difference (hence my initial post) but you cannot make sweeping statements that there is no difference between high end and budget cartridges because there is.
Talking about not breaking clays there is the infamous Sporting shoot in an Eastern European country where the clays simply wouldn't break despite top end shells being used by top shooters like George and Richard.  Cyril and others no doubt can tell you where that was.  I do sometimes think they play on hype these manufacturers and we are sucked in.  Well a lot are sucked in not Mr Hoskins though ?

its funny why the top lads don't shoot cheap stuff and before anyone starts about sponsorship very few shooters are sponsored.

Sponsorship - where you love something until someone offers you better sponsorship for something else.  We are all doomed in any event.

its funny why the top lads don't shoot cheap stuff and before anyone starts about sponsorship very few shooters are sponsored.
Is there anybody out there that shoots a budget cartridge and expects to be competitive ?

Latest posts

Back