Have a break or push on?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darren9330

I've recently been having a tough time shooting, scores are ok but not brilliant (80/85%) 

The main factor is that I'm not enjoying it as much as I used to, it's almost a case of going through the motions and turning up for the fluffy rabbits and catching up with friends etc. Question is will the enjoyment come back, if I keep on going in the hope of improving my scores or is it a time to call it a day? 

Only problem with having a break I think will be coming back and shooting worse...thus hating it again...decisions,decisions??? 

from my experience when it becomes a chore its pointless so two choices are available.

1 - have a break

2 - shoot a different discipline for a while.

the problem with (1) is that there is a danger that you get used to not shooting find something else to do on Sunday and either never come back or come back a few years later when you are equally bored or frustrated with whatever took shootings place.

whereas (2) you still get to shoot which presumably you still enjoy but with no pressure or expectations of the outcome.

for what its worth I have done both at some point and I do not believe one is better than the other so take your pick. Incidentally I am now at (2) and although I still enjoy shooting I cant say that I am particularly excited by the prospect and some weeks I cant be bothered and prefer to train my cocker instead.

hope that helps.

From personal experience, if it's feeling like a chore take a break. Come back only when it feels 'right' and you'll regain your enthusiasm.

Are you shooting ESP....if I was averaging 80-85% I'd be ecstatic ?

All the best. 

I too have been there........shot for many years never missed a Sunday no matter what the weather I was a competitive shooter but it became a chore and I was doing it because thats what i did !, it reflected in my scores good but not good enough ! ..............I found a new love from old ( Fishing ) but still kept my hand in shooting but only on a nice day ! if you take a break you will not lose it if you have it. You need to enjoy your time while you can take a break you can always come back, If you do not try it you will never know.

exactly as Dave said. He found fishing I found gundogs but we both still enjoy shooting IF we feel like it. Dave is bang on, if you have it it wont disappear, bit like riding a bike really.

ps

Dave, shot abt at Coniston today, good layout good targets, good breakfast. Home for 1pm. Txt me if you ever fancy it on sat or sun ? some old faces shoot there ?

Plus the old shooting game is a bit expensive just doing it for the sake of it !!! and not enjoying it :blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Just thinking the same thing myself. Got to the stage today where I just couldn't be bothered. With me though I have probably done to much over the last 3 weeks. 800+ targets, 400 of those from Thursday. I think I will have next weekend off completely, then see what happens.

sometimes quantity does not improve scores, it mentally and physically drains you unless of course you are under thirty ?

Rotate through Gliding, Sailing and Shooting, occasional round of golf. :)

Jack of all sports..........master of none! :)

Rotate through Gliding, Sailing and Shooting, occasional round of golf. :)

Jack of all sports..........master of none! :)

Just like you
laugh.gif

When you decide to try all 4 simultaneously let me know....I'll bring me camera ?
I could see mixing sailing and a bit of abt, trap on the stern shoot them on the go! Wouldnt fancy handling a 12g in the glider cockpit though but I must admit a bit of air-to-air firepower might thin out crowded thermals. :)

I'm mainly shooting ESP, with the occasional DTL thrown in for good measure. There's defiantly no love lost when I don't shoot, but when I do I tend to put unreasonable scores in my head before even entering the ground...usually based on how I feel when i get up and what I've had for breakfast. And that in turn put pressure on, which makes for a bad day    :???:

See where I'm going here? Self perpetuating circle??

If you're putting in 80-85 regularly then in my opinion  you're shooting pretty well, and possibly putting yourself under undue or unnecessary pressure....unless you're being paid to do this, it is a 'hobby' after all.  

Take a break, try a different discipline or maybe even try a different ground. But if it feels like a chore, it's never going to be fun so save yourself some hard earned until you feel like it again. 

Best wishes. 

Last edited by a moderator:
the thing is you reach a point were your knocking on the door. You then think eh up I could be very good with a couple more kills. Then you start two things.

1- you generally at some point embark on a fruitless hunt for the holly grail of guns. This is bad.

2- you start to analyze every aspect of your shooting thus you try to hard. This is also bad.

therefore even though your scores are at a level you could only dream about when you started you are frustrated by those missing few targets. This is when you become despondent and it becomes a chore.

Looking at your record Darren I suggest that you carry on and get some more experience under your belt  :wink:

https://www.cpsa.co.uk/scores/member/51/EE/130879
oh, so not 85% then :(

the thing is you reach a point were your knocking on the door. You then think eh up I could be very good with a couple more kills. Then you start two things.

1- you generally at some point embark on a fruitless hunt for the holly grail of guns. This is bad.

2- you start to analyze every aspect of your shooting thus you try to hard. This is also bad.

therefore even though your scores are at a level you could only dream about when you started you are frustrated by those missing few targets. This is when you become despondent and it becomes a chore.

oh, so not 85% then :(

Not even close https://www.cpsa.co.uk/classifications/member/50/EE/130879

Latest posts

Back