Jack Pyke 2016

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tiptop

Off to shoot the Jack Pyke tomorrow (Friday 11.00). Anyone been yet, who's going this year?  My first time to shoot a competition at this venue.

I shot it yesterday, a lot of close stuff which was a bit of a disspointment really, could of done with a bayonet on the end of my gun really!

Shot it Wednesday, as already mentioned a lot of close fast stuff with some tricky long distance stands thrown in. They had tried hard to give variety but personally I don't think my reactions are quick enough for this type of shoot these days.

Oh dear not a great fan of the close fast stuff. Still you pays your money and takes your chance...lets see what happens.

Well I payed my money to see what would happen, and basically it didn't happen. Shot like a tw*t. As for the targets, well there was a bit of close stuff that yes, skeet/skeet or bayonets would have been the option. There were a few up in the air as well, nothing that looked to daunting and I even missed them. As for the shoot as a whole I thought it was nothing special, nothing to get excited about, and no wow factor. When walking between stands there were empty cages that were positioned to have some big targets set for them but sadlly not used. Will I be doing it again probably not.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also travelled up to this event, a good 90 miles and 2 hours in the motor from the Cotswolds. Myself and Tiptop set off with another couple of shooters at 11am. 2 spaces on our squad and other squads also had gaps. We were both surprised to see how little people were there. On the course we hardly any waiting on any stand apart from one trap breakdown on stand 2, 15 minutes max. This probably helped the other squads push on.

As Tiptop stated, many potentially great targets were sat idle. I can seriously say I was over-choked with 3/8 & 3/8 with Pro One shells. The course appeared to have little imagination when it was set up. Stand 6 was the best stand. Testing, angles and a good chunk of lead. It would have been at home comfortably at Westfield. The rest was mostly at 25 yards, 30 max or less.

Sporting Targets is a huge ground with great potential to set a great course for all levels. This event did not use that potential. The ground staff and office girls were great, very helpful, well organised but the targets were a massive let down. £30 in fuel to get there, £27 in shells and £50 entry. I would rather they kept the cap and shell holster and made it £40 entry. I feel a little robbed today, not the money, but my entertainment.

Will I shoot it again in this format, very much no. But this layout will suit some shooters and good luck to those it does. In future the course needs some imagination in my opinion. I would like to what it would be like if either Steve Lovat or Shaun Ponting got their hands on it! Now that's a good thought. Stew

I also shot this today, some targets were there you entertain you & some were there to trick you !!!

Personally when i set a shoot, i set it for all levels....something for everyone is my motto & obviously the entries speak for themselves (as with the weekend at Risely, which is fully booked i beleive) !!!

While a few on here have been critical of the targets, i dont see a 119 on the board & i can see no more than a 117 for someone on top of their game.

As they say, one mans milk is another mans cheese !!!

Well done to all who supported this event & for team Sporting Targets & Jack Pyke for the event.

The shoot was well run, staff were fantastic, and the ground is a great ground. I just thought that the targets weren't that special. I agree with you Phil that things should be set for all standards of shooting. But stand 2, and the simo rabbits you could of beat them with a stick if you had one to hand. As I said earlier, not a fan of close fast stuff. Maybe I was expecting something more, had been waiting a while to shoot this for the first time, and was a tad disappointed. 1st impressions and all that.....

as a very average esp shooter I don't quite  understand  what people want with targets  ?   firstly I aint shot this shoot  so cant criticise  targets !   but its so easy to beat us  with massive distance   and targets  traveling  at  supersonic speeds .      then people  whinge   " crazy unfair targets "     its impossible for the target setter to please everyone .    but if these targets are so easy   how come your scores  don't reflect that ?     perhaps you boys should move to fitasc   to be motivated  and wowed ,   me I just like targets in range  and a fair test .  

I do love when a poster gives his opinion on a shoot  of which he did not  enjoy  followed by stupid remarks quoting that because you did not get them all so they was not that easy. Just cannot see any sense in that statement .  I and expect many other have enjoyed many shoots despite not shooting well having missed some easier targets.

There is a good following of shooters that do like to be inspired by the targets . I must add that i am only an average shooter but would rather be beat by a quality target.  Which i would like to add that Sporting targets shoots generally  do. Or we could move to another discipline as suggested by somebody , which when i last looked seemed to be quite pricey.  Cheers for that. I am all for good discussion but it seems that some people views are if its not theirs then it dont count.

as a very average esp shooter I don't quite  understand  what people want with targets  ?   firstly I aint shot this shoot  so cant criticise  targets !   but its so easy to beat us  with massive distance   and targets  traveling  at  supersonic speeds .      then people  whinge   " crazy unfair targets "     its impossible for the target setter to please everyone .    but if these targets are so easy   how come your scores  don't reflect that ?     perhaps you boys should move to fitasc   to be motivated  and wowed ,   me I just like targets in range  and a fair test .  
Just because targets are close it does not necessarily make them easy. When they are going at speed and perhaps curling and a simmo pair, your time on the target is extremely limited and can often finish up as "poke and hope". 

Nothing much changes on this site. Someone has an opinion on a shoot and its rubbished. If i wanted to shoot massive targets then yes I would go and shoot fitasc, and if I wanted to go and shoot targets within 20 yards I would go and shoot skeet. I'm a pretty average ESP shooter too, but like to be tested, entertained on a shoot. To me this didn't do it for me, and that is my opinion. Someone else will have an opinion that it was fantastic the greatest shoot ever. But when you have 3 stands that you could fit on a skeet layout...2 stands that you could beat the clays with a stick, it's not for me.  Maybe I'm just lucky to live in the Steve Lovatt region for quality fair targets.

I never rubbished your opinion   -   just disagreed with  your take on target presentation ,     I will consider myself told off ,  hope you enjoy your next shoot .   :wink:

Told off... you naughty boy you  :smile: . I may enjoy my next shoot I may not, it's the England selection shoot at Barbury, a ground that can also lend itself to close targets at times  :frown: . And then up the road to Westfield, time permitting, for some big boomers. :eek:

OK! It's late. I've had a couple of beers. So my usual policy of quitting posting on here (lest I get slagged by somebody for having an opinion) is on hold for a minute.. But I agree with Martin. What a weird shoot. Some crazy stands with 5 yard targets (that were just not invented for a shotgun) followed by some 80 yard simmo pairs. When I got to some "normal" stands in the middle, I cocked those up too, due to shock. Not a great course.  Nice cafe, nice staff, but an odd course to say the least. Over and out again for a long while. Or always..

Nooooooooooooo.................don't go. The parties just started! ???

On the scores front Doctor, the average for the shoot up to Friday night is 82ex120 (68.3%) across all the classes. And yes it can be affected by the amount of lower class entries versus the higher classes. No one said they were crazy unfair targets, just lacked imagination in my opinion.

Pop down and have a stab at it this weekend and see what you think yourself. That's the best way to get a true reflection of the shoot and make your own assessment. Shoot well.

Back