Best Hardy Leather Gunslip

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cherhill7777

I've recently had two leather gun slips which have both started to fall apart. Both the rivets and the stitching has started to come apart. I won't name the manufacturer as that's not fair, however I'm not happy with it so I've decided to look for another brand. 

Can anyone recommend a good leather gun slip which won't fall apart?

Got a John shooter myself (hope this is not the brand you have!) been very good over the 2 years I've owned it. Gets used in all weathers and slung on the floor in the mud quite frequently. Brush it off and put a bit of leather food on it once or twice a year.

Unfortunately it is a John Shooter.

It's the second one I've had, really disappointed, as I like the slip. It just isn't built to last. This has happened in just 2 weeks.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
This company can repair and make better than new at a fraction of the cost of a high end one which are also made like crap.  

Phone: 01407 811060
Mobile: 07901 991020

E Mail  [email protected]

The Leather Workshop
Treruffydd Farm
Ty Croes
Anglesey
LL63 5HJ

I have supplied a number of singles and doubles, made in Walsall ,very  best quality .

Single to suit 32" barrels £160 .

Lots of shooting gear made in Walsall with top quality leather, let me know your requirements and I will find you a supplier and competitive price.

I have a Croots one which has taken a battering over three years and only looks better. 

i Have a john shooter one that is fine outside though i have snagged the lining,took it to the cobblers he cut it open glued and sewed back up for a tenner.

So i would suggest taking it to your local cobbler and give him a couple of quid to repair ;)

I am on my second leather gun slip in four years and they are not cheap!    Admittedly they get used weekly but still.  The worse is that the bottom split on this current one and my barrels were scraping along Southdown's lane!!!!!!  Luckily just a burr rather than damage of a dangerous nature.

If that has happened in two weeks why on earth wouldn't you just send it back?

DT

I am on my second leather gun slip in four years and they are not cheap!    Admittedly they get used weekly but still.  The worse is that the bottom split on this current one and my barrels were scraping along Southdown's lane!!!!!!  Luckily just a burr rather than damage of a dangerous nature.
I will be sending it back for the 2nd time. I would take a replacement if I thought it would last but I'm considering the path of a refund.

What's the budget? A couple of mates have got Croots ones, they look super solid, as does their price tag. 
Budget is around £200

I have a John Shooter on as well never had a problem with it. Like FloodDefence I treat mine once a year but with good old fashioned dubbin.

If you've had a few problems Pete, and are not happy with the brand then I would go for a refund, or as suggested go to the local cobbler.

Never been tempted by leather slips as they're just too heavy but owned at least a score of various types all of which have been rubbish and failed in at least one area (usually zips) within a short space of time. 

These days I just use plastic cables to do horrifically ugly repairs but tend to leave the bags in the car anyway. Also been busy trimming the grass round my feet while waiting for Hamiltons to put wheels on their slips.

same here Hamid, leather prob ok on a African big game shoot.....but

I have a pair of croots ones which get used for both clay and game and despite never being so much as wiped down do an admirable job, and as most people know my stuff can get a bit of hammer. Thoroughly recommend.

I've got a John Shooter slip as well and it's been given a lot of hammer but it gets better looking with age. However, the end cap stitching rotted in the first year. Took it to a saddlery and they charged a tenner to sew it back together with rot-proof cord/twine. Been fine ever since and the quality of the fleece lining is such that I'm happy to carry the extra weight around and know that my gun is well protected. IMHO, great value slip for the money?? MM

I have a pair of croots ones which get used for both clay and game and despite never being so much as wiped down do an admirable job, and as most people know my stuff can get a bit of hammer. Thoroughly recommend.
Thanks Ed ?

I've got a John Shooter slip as well and it's been given a lot of hammer but it gets better looking with age. However, the end cap stitching rotted in the first year. Took it to a saddlery and they charged a tenner to sew it back together with rot-proof cord/twine. Been fine ever since and the quality of the fleece lining is such that I'm happy to carry the extra weight around and know that my gun is well protected. IMHO, great value slip for the money?? MM
I'm the same about the weight the lovely fleece lining just gives me extra confidence that Lola May is protected well.  We did a home job of using tiny cable ties though to fix,

Back