Nickel Perazzis and Rusting

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geordieboy

So then, another Perazzi question.

I want one (quite badly) now after shooting John Jeffries gun the other day.  So as an engineer I get all my sh*t errrr.......facts together before I make my final purchase.  I recently spoke to a Gunsmith who advised me most vehemently against getting a Nickel Plated Perazzi as when the Nickel wears off, they rust and the action is FUBAR.

Has anybody on here any experience of this at all, and can they recommend either black or silver actioned guns?  Do I order black or silver is my question!

Many Thanks 

Last edited by a moderator:
As an engineer I doubt you would neglect any gun sufficient for rust to form. Only some bright action Perazzi are nickel plated, the engraved ones aren't. Bluing wears off faster than nickel and the worn bluing ones don't particularly rust. I have a 30yr old SC3 neither nickel nor bluing and it doesn't rust. I'd buy Nickel but watch out for reflections off the fences.

Was it the DSR you tried?

Had a go with one a few weeks ago. Bit front heavy for me but can see it being ideal for someone with more upper body strength than I have. Also tried his new Perugini & Vissini Suprema. Found that an absolute delight to shoot. Am very tempted to invest in one, my only slight worry being whether it'd have any resale value in the future, what with being custom made. 

As an engineer I doubt you would neglect any gun sufficient for rust to form. Only some bright action Perazzi are nickel plated, the engraved ones aren't. Bluing wears off faster than nickel and the worn bluing ones don't particularly rust. I have a 30yr old SC3 neither nickel nor bluing and it doesn't rust. I'd buy Nickel but watch out for reflections off the fences.
Many Thanks for that 40up.  If the engraved ones aren't Nickel Plated (MX200S) etc., then one of those is worth considering.

Was it the DSR you tried?

Had a go with one a few weeks ago. Bit front heavy for me but can see it being ideal for someone with more upper body strength than I have. Also tried his new Perugini & Vissini Suprema. Found that an absolute delight to shoot. Am very tempted to invest in one, my only slight worry being whether it'd have any resale value in the future, what with being custom made. 
I did shoot a DSR from John Jeffries and it was perfectly balanced.  Great Sight picture, with no barrel interference at all and the triggers were singularly the best I've shot on any gun........ANY gun!  33" barrels were fantastic and I think I would have bought it but I now know what I want from a gun, and so I may as well buy a new one with the things I want on my perazzi.  Certainly not front Heavy this one.  I think he still has it for sale and it is a big saving on new.......

Wasn't criticising the DSR, just the one I tried wasn't balanced to suit a weak and feeble girlie like me. I'm sure if I ordered one then it would be made to suit, but I did fall in love with the P&V.

Personally I'd go for the black action. Nowt to do with rust, I just think they look nicer.

Anybody who allows a shotgun, what ever make or finish, to rust wants their arse kicked ... severely!

33" barrells!!!!!

why. ??
Believe you me, I want/wanted a gun with 32" Barrels.  Clay gun predominantly but one that I can take on a game shoot and not be frowned upon too much.  (Thats actually boll*%$" as I just want that right gun and like it to be pretty - Tart that I am)!  I just had the chance to shoot John Jeffries 2nd hand gun and I have to say that it was the best gun I have shot in such a long time.  It had 33" barrels and I shot it at Skeet and it was just damn great.  Nuff Sed to be fair.  A lot had to do with the gun fitting me quite well, and the triggers and the sight picture.  But one thing is for sure, If I can get a Perazzi with 32 or 33" Barrels that feels and moves as good as his gun did then I will buy it.  I was shredding and dusting my way round the Skeet with 2 x Perazzi Half chokes.  

On a separate note, regarding the finish of guns, I agree with jwpxx9r about allowing guns to rust.  I just wanted peoples opinions on and observations on the Nickel guns.  I quite like them you see and I just want to make sure that as it gets older it won't fall apart like this gunsmith suggested it might.......

I cant even begin to imagine 33" even 32" is too much for me but sounds like it suited you ?

I have heard the same stories about nickel Perazzis and rust. I have a nickel MX12 that I have owned for 5 years or so and I bought it second hand. It is still perfect. It has been regularly used on very wet, game days in darkest Wales.

On the subject of JJ Perazzis why not look on his website -  there are usually one or two lightly used ones available and all are sold with fully fitted new stocks where required. I have an RSR and it is excellent.

guns rust for lack of care and finish has nothing to do with it.  
Depends on the quality of the finish, doesn't matter how much oil you use, if it's a poor quality finish corrosion will attack the metal! As you  know guns are for using and will be subject to water, sweat and all sort of rust inducing nastiness.

Anybody who allows a shotgun, what ever make or finish, to rust wants their arse kicked ... severely!
Really?  Are yours wrapped up with an anti-corrosion prevention system and kept in a inert gas atmosphere with negative pressure.  If not and you use them they will be constantly attacked by nastiness that will cause corrosion.  Barrels for example have a finite life and once they've had enough they will pit and then they will rust.

Depends on the quality of the finish, doesn't matter how much oil you use, if it's a poor quality finish corrosion will attack the metal! As you  know guns are for using and will be subject to water, sweat and all sort of rust inducing nastiness.

If metal has an oil barrier it cannot oxidise no matter what the quality is !

If metal has an oil barrier it cannot oxidise no matter what the quality is !
Your right but it would need a constant oil barrier that was sealed, we take them in and out of slips, handle them with sweaty hands and allow them to get hot!   I was a military armourer and aircraft technician for 28 years, and I've seen lots and lots of different types of firearms go rusty.  The main cause being excessive use of abrasives to clean them, then oil being applied before they have dried out and cooled properly.  Contaminants found in moisture will start to attack the metal work immediately causing rust under the nice layer of protective oil that you have applied.

My cleaning regime is to let my guns 'dry' and 'cool' for a day or two then clean them, couple of days later rod the barrels again once the 'sweating' process has finished.

I had a 3800 Miroku that went red after a 20-mile journey in a gun bag after shooting in the rain :rolleyes:

I had a 3800 Miroku that went red after a 20-mile journey in a gun bag after shooting in the rain :rolleyes:
Isn't that a design feature on Miroku's  :frown:  my 3800 grade 1 did exactly the same thing.  If mine got wet wouldn't bother putting in its bag, just took it apart dried it as much as I could and drove home with it in pieces in the footwell with the blower on.

Isn't that a design feature on Miroku's  :frown:  my 3800 grade 1 did exactly the same thing.  If mine got wet wouldn't bother putting in its bag, just took it apart dried it as much as I could and drove home with it in pieces in the footwell with the blower on.

I know that now, it was a learning curve at the time it was a few years ago.

Really?  Are yours wrapped up with an anti-corrosion prevention system and kept in a inert gas atmosphere with negative pressure.  If not and you use them they will be constantly attacked by nastiness that will cause corrosion.  Barrels for example have a finite life and once they've had enough they will pit and then they will rust.
Always carry a spare dry slip in the car if its raining, a silicon impregnated sack -up is always in the car.

Never dry a gun by heaters of any kind especially airing cupboards ruins the wood.

leave forend on the barrels or it will shrink if removed when wet and allowed to dry.

Clean / oil after every shoot especially forcing cone area, store barrels facing down. 

Never ever had any of my guns corrode.

Back