Payout of advertised prizes.

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasper

So let's say you  hold an open shoot and advertise,for example, A gun for HG. £100 for second and £50 third with no proviso on entries. Then you don't get many entries and decide not to payout all the prizes, where do you stand legally.?

Discuss.

I'd say unless they stated "subject to min X entries" the prizes must be paid?

Thanks Ed. It would seem the cat has everyone else's tongues. Which is not usual for on here. Maybe the rest are happy to be ripped off.

I'd agree with Ed - unless there is a term to let them off the hook... then they must pay. That's the risk that a competition carries.

That said - I can't recall it happening at anything I've attended - maybe thats why you haven't had a ton of responses (either that - or the Ovaltine kicked in early). 

Thanks Ed. It would seem the cat has everyone else's tongues. Which is not usual for on here. Maybe the rest are happy to be ripped off.
Ed answered for us all, can't add much more to what he said.

How, what happened to prompt this question...did you let someone 'rip you off'?

No not personally. Happened this weekend to a couple of friends. Big company with normally good reputation......

If advertised with no disclamers YOU HAVE TO PAY! you can cry all the way home if you like.

Name and shame
We know that Matt doesn't  like his forum compromised so I won't be doing that. 

Ed answered for us all, can't add much more to what he said.

How, what happened to prompt this question...did you let someone 'rip you off'?
Kind of agree with you about letting someone rip you off. However this thing is not expected . A bit taken aback I think my friends were..

Last edited by a moderator:
I assume its a well known shoot and a decent sized event if they are advertising a gun for HG prize. So what didnt they pay out exactly - 3rd places or ??

If your unwilling to name them then your mates are best off voting with their feet and not going back. Depends how much you enjoy shooting there - lets face it 99.9% of us are not in it to make money.

It's a well known company. With lots of high end sponsors.advertised nationality.didnt pay 2nd and 3rd. 

Reading between the lines, it sounds like it was an open shoot near Tewkesbury. To be honest its not he first time prizes from the shoot organizers have been brought into question.

Why would Matt disapprove of you telling the truth and naming a shoot refusing to pay out as advertised ? 

Just checked advert again . No minimum entry proviso. 

Juniors also not paid out. 

Email sent by my friends asking them if they want  to reconsider. No response as yet.

Draw  your own conclusions . I repeat I will not name in open forum.

I Just asked a question to see if  anyone thought not paying the advertised prizes was a reasonable thing to do. That's all.

Advertising prize money is a way of getting shooters to compete and hopefully pick up, if a shooter shoots good enough to be placed and the ground does not pay out i would name and shame that ground, if they had more that expected entries they would not pay any more than advertised that's the way it goes ! ......you should not advertise a payout and not see it through !

I dont see why you are worried about naming them. It will pre warn others and avoid them getting ripped off. As long as you are factual and not slanderous there is no problem. Your friends can't be the only ones who missed out on prize money.

Latest posts

Back