shooting the bits

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwpzx9r

Hi I want to get into the habit of shooting the bits. I know it sounds daft to ask how but my problem is that most the time I tend to completely obliterate the target so that there is nothing worth shooting but when there is something worth having a go at I fail to act on it. Should I just start blasting off the second barrel anyway at the general area of the target remains hoping to get into the habit of then following anything more substantial . I just reckon not using the second barrel more frequently on first barrel hit targets is costing me targets I don't hit with the first... and I do get plenty of those at the moment. Also what bit to shoot? Do you want a bit that continues in the general direction of the original target or say something that fly's up or off at an angle?

What discipline are you shooting? The only time I've seen the 'bits' shot at is when shooting DTL, which although pointless seems accepted

EON He's talking about OT or UT

John, I know what you mean. Blatting two at everything (especially when you have smoked it with the first) seems pointless although a lot do it, although they are either wealthy or sponsored by a cartridge company. That said, there is a certain satisfaction to smashing an errant piece of clay that has shot off from the whole target :)  

I will shot the bits but only if there is a large bit to go at and often forget to do that if I'm honest. Even if I tell myself to shoot two before calling for the target I often don't.

As for which bit to go at? usually the largest piece irrespective of which direction its going in.

Expensive game to get into  :unsure:

DT

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Greg Yes expensive but a good way of keeping the head down and the gun moving. I am not shooting well just now and looking for ways to sort out myself out.

I like you tend to forget to shoot again after even if there are bits a target. I am not talking about shooting every target that way but I think it is a good habit to do it now and again. It is interesting that nearly all the top shots down here shoot anything substantial that is left over and they don't get their carts for free. Mind you because they shoot competition's every weekend they are picking up prize money to cover their costs.

If you are looking at getting your 2nd barrel working better, either borrow my browning (had too many miss with first, hit with 2nd's latley, due to misfire), or use something like 21g in the first and pop it into the ground so you need the 2nd, or just double tap everything thats bigger than a 10p....

1. Should I just start blasting off the second barrel anyway at the general area of the target remains hoping to get into the habit of then following anything

2. Also what bit to shoot? Do you want a bit that continues in the general direction of the original target or say something that fly's up or off at an angle?
1. Don't. Stay with the gun - follow through even after clay was hit (follow imaginary line the clay was going) but don't shoot at nothing.

2. Shoot the bit that continues in the general direction if there is one, if there isn't one, shoot the first one that catches your eye.

Remember the reason for shooting what's left. It's to ensure your head's down, you're locked onto the target and to keep yourself mentally tuned in to the possibility of needing a second barrel for real. 

Some do it with almost every shot, others not so much. I fall into the latter camp because, as you say, if the targets pulverised it achieves little. 

I would suggest only shooting when the bits when the targets breaks into 2 or 3 pieces and then take the piece that follows the same flight line. You'll surprise yourself as to how effective your second shot can be.

what freeshot said. Never shoot at a bit however big if its trajectory is anything other than its initial direction otherwise you WILL find your head off the stock and that is counter productive

On a DTL field, at any agreed upon distance, we used to play a game called chip shot.  Two shooters, 1st shooter calls the target and if he leaves a chip big enough to identifiably break and the 2nd shooter does than some prearranged sum of money changes hands.  Any number can play and generally requires a gentleman's conduct in the assessment of the breaks.   

I know, sorta off topic, but you WILL stay in the gun

I know a few that did this saying it helps keep the head down, tried it myself but does not work for me, and I just think it's a waste of shells. Many of those that did it do not seem to do it anymore, I personally think it distracts you from killing the bird with the first shot.

Also, you are concentrating on twice as many targets !!!

Do the IPS method no bits just a full clay :lol:
:)

I do shoot at bits if I am on a good run of first barrell kills but only if the bit is going something like the same trajectory. As I said earlier if you shoot at bits for the sake of it and if that bit peels off at 180 degrees you WILL find your face off the stock "generally" and that is counter productive imo

Agree with both Balltrap and IPS.  

And the very worst thing you can do is  go for the bits just to make sure on the penultimate clay for a straight.

Watched a very good trap shooter on for a straight. All first barrels until the last target go for the bit  on the next to last only to totally miss the last one. You could see what was going to happen ss it messed his rhythm and focus up as the mind ssys : its in the bag"  when it's not .

I watched a guy shooting on Sunday and he really wanted his money's worth. He was on the squad before me so I saw his last three rounds and he shot both barrels every target! He was shooting bits that were nearly on the floor. Some of his shots were at bits that were inline with a trap house that is used for sport trap I could clearly see that poor trap getting a peppering. So it was a 100 target comp and he shot two hundred cartridges... he was a good shot too made a 94 but if you count the flakes he hit make that about 180!

Cylinder choke and 7 shot shells in the first barrel should do the trick.
Not necessarily, I shot a few rounds of OT with skeet/cylinder when I was in Spain purely to see what, if any difference, choke really made and to be honest skeet and cylinder turned them into powder just as much as going up through the tighter chokes. It is quite subjective though on how fast or slow you react to and shoot the target though and I have always been relatively quick from call to shot fired. 

I tend to shoot at the chips no matter the size 9/10 times, its just a habit for me now really but it is always on the line of the shot and never in any direction other than where I was already swinging. 

Latest posts

Back