Mendip Shooting Ground

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bisondan

Evening Folks

Has anyone ever been to Mendip Shooting Ground?  

Got a weekend visiting family near Wells this coming weekendand was thinking of taking the gun and wanted to possibly shoot as the others go shopping. 

You could go up Dan 

it was once a thriving club and shot there all the time bit different now I belive haven't shot there for a few years 

be good to see what you think if you do visit 

a better bet would be brook bank 

check out their fixture list to see what's on 

Was down Weston with caravan two weeks ago and shot both over a week brook bank was ok friendly ground if remember Wright it was £8 a round and I had to by my carts from them ,the slab I had were elys and they only use hulls ,frochi,it does say on there web site but missed it carts were 5.50 a box 

Mendip found the people not so friendly stood at counter for 10mins before the woman served me. several shooters came in after me and served them first they New her by name so I would say there regulars And then it was what can I do for you .I think there's a new club house being built so there's some works traffic.again £8 a round and you have to by your carts from them said I had a slab of my own she said I had to have there's I had there steels carts at £4.50 

Only shot skeet there and my wife buttoned for me didn't mention on there web site about only using there carts .

Or come along to Podimore for our 100 Sporting reg on sunday :)  
I did think about that Don but the Christening I'm going to Sunday starts at 11 sadly.

I have also looked at Brook Bank and you have to use either Fiochi or Hull cartridges and it doesn't say anything on Mendip website about having to use their own cartridges.

Bisondan, at Brook Bank it looks like that reading their website they restrict the cartridges during the week and Saturdays but allow any on the Sunday apart from sporting which must be fibre wads.

Can I bring my own cartridges?

This is a good one. We like to limit the cartridges used between Wednesday - Saturday to the brands which we sell (Hull & Fiocchi), although, you don't have to buy them from us, but our prices are very competitive. On Sundays, we will relax this rule as we normally hold Registered (CPSA) competitions, but all cartridges must conform to current CPSA rules and regulations.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bisondan, at Brook Bank it looks like that reading their website they restrict the cartridges during the week and Saturdays but allow any on the Sunday apart from sporting which must be fibre wads.

Can I bring my own cartridges?

This is a good one. We like to limit the cartridges used between Wednesday - Saturday to the brands which we sell (Hull & Fiocchi), although, you don't have to buy them from us, but our prices are very competitive. On Sundays, we will relax this rule as we normally hold Registered (CPSA) competitions, but all cartridges must conform to current CPSA rules and regulations.
is it just me or is tellingly folk what cartridges they HAVE to use absolutely ridiculous.

It is ridiculous. I can understand a steel shot ban on safety grounds but that's it. Of course they cannot impose this rule for registered events as, ironically, it's against the rules.

Maybe its a bit like being a tied pub so you gat a slight price benefit,isn't an issue for me as i would probably be shooting them in that order anyhow if i were shooting there which has happened once.

never shot trap before and as its nearly 2 hours away won't happen often...shame really as its a nice place and i quite enjoyed it  :ph34r:

I thought Mendip forcing you to use theirs was due to noise regs? Sure I heard that once but could be bollocks.
I did go there in the end last Saturday.

To be honest I wasn't made to feel particularly welcome, shooting was a bit basic and you had to use their cartridges which were rebadged power-reds.  

Nothing on their website about this and they didn't seem bothered about it when I mentioned this.

As I put in an earlier post I found it exactly the same as bisondan ,we have none of that over here you can shot home loads if you like not in comps of course.

And a good welcome too.we're back over again next month and will not shoot at mendip,will do brookbank will make sure I have the right brand tho 

I've never tried Mendip (although I have been meaning to, as my folks live just south of Weston-Super-Mare), but Brook Bank is an absolute cracker of a ground, and the Sunday shooting there is a huge bonus on a weekend away.

BTW, athough I've been asked what size and wad the cartridges I'm carrying are, I've never actually HAD to use house ammo at Brook Bank. It wouldn't worry me anyway, as they stock Fiocchi cartridges at a pretty good price.

I think the issue might be that there are animals nearby (very nearby, actually: there are cows in the surrounding fields!), so perhaps they don't want big loads because of that.

There is no 'house ammunition' at Brook Bank - and its nothing to do with the animals either. They ask you to use Hull or Fiocchi for practice and felt wads on the sporting stands with an overall policy of 28gms max. Oh - and they sell both brands.

As Wylye says, there is no house ammo. For comps you use what you want. For practice it has to be Hull or Fiocchi, both sold on site. As for the animals, well I'm convinced they are some rare breed of deaf longhorn cattle! The buggers seem to be oblivious to whatever is going on! :smile:

As Wylye says, there is no house ammo. For comps you use what you want. For practice it has to be Hull or Fiocchi, both sold on site. As for the animals, well I'm convinced they are some rare breed of deaf longhorn cattle! The buggers seem to be oblivious to whatever is going on! :smile:
I did think i may be coming home with some large steaks when i shot there,is that fence really 300m out? ;)

Could be a noise thing. Least Wes can control the noise all week as he knows what people are using. Bit like Purbeck not letting certain 

carts being  used.  :cool:

Lovely ground just wish it was closer.

Latest posts

Back